Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems no one in the world builds gun from the factory with decent triggers... all are "lawyer triggers" since it seems they are more afraid of getting sued rather than making a good product.

Everyone I talk to about a new gun has plans to "get a trigger job" from a gunsmith. It's like taxes... it keeps the accountants in jobs. The crop of triggers coming out seem designed to keep gunsmiths in jobs.

To be fair, and since this is a Taurus forum, the 24/7 and MilPro guns have pretty decent triggers. But I wonder how the 1911 guns are. I have a Star BM (Spanish military pistol) which was produced for 19 years olds to carry (Spain has mandatory military service) and it breaks crisp at 3.5 lbs.

I bought a Springfield 1911 and it has a mushy trigger that creeped to a 7 lb. pull! I have a new FN Hi-Power that brought at about the same weight... until I worked on it... now it's a crisp 4.5 lbs and a pleasure to shoot.

Some how, I feel like gun manufacturers ought to provide a $60 voucher to the gunsmith of your choice to have the trigger adjusted to the customers satisfaction.

Oh well... got this off my chest! I should feel better. Nope! Didn't work!

·
Registered
992 Posts
I just intentionally voided the warranty on my Charles Daly Hi-Power by eliminating the Mag Safety.
A gun is the trigger.

AFS

·
Registered
111 Posts
My PT 1911 came out of the box at a little over 5 lbs. after about 1200 rds. it's down to acceptable 4.3 lbs. on my Lyman scale with no take up or overtravel so I will leave it as is, One of my Kimbersis at 2.9 lbs. but is for range use only as it doesn't take much to squeeze it off. Most of my Colt's hover in the 3.5 lbs range and the Lt Wgt Commander I carry is 3.2

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
frostyeyes said:
One of my Kimbersis at 2.9 lbs. but is for range use only as it doesn't take much to squeeze it off. Most of my Colt's hover in the 3.5 lbs range and the Lt Wgt Commander I carry is 3.2
Is that the way they came out of the box, or were they "worked on"?

·
Registered
111 Posts
On my Kimber Pro Rapter I smoothed the trigger myself did a little stoning on the lock work and tweaked the spring on the others thats the way they came. Most all 1911 triggers will settle in after a few rounds usually much better than they come from the box.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My PT1911 out of the box has 4 1/4 lb trigger, slight creep, crisp break. Not bad for a $500 pistol!! I paid about $160 to get 4 lb trigger, no creep, glass rod break on my Kimber Pro Carry II. All Ed Brown parts, excellent parts!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts