Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new blue Tracker 44 magnum in January this year. Now, I have owned new and used 44 magnum revolvers off and on for 40 years and this Tracker is different than any and all of the others. I had not owned a 44 magnum revolver for 3 years before I bought the Tracker, sold my last Smiff Model 29 in 2010. I shoot nothing but my cast bullets in all my hand guns and most of my rifles. The thing that has me standing beside myself amazing is the fact that with 300 rounds of hand loads thru this gun, all cast and loaded to near max pressures and velocities I find no sign of leading; bore, forcing cone or chamber throats. I have not cleaned this gun except for the initial strip, clean, reloob that is advised for all new Taurus hand guns. I have inspected for leading each session; none in evidence, none!!!!
This is the first time this has ever occurred with a new 44 magnum revolver. I was using the same bullets, load data, cases that I developed decades ago. Loads I have taken big game with in other guns. Never have I had a new 44 magnum not lead for the first several hundred rounds.
Kudos to Taurus for a fine revolver. I think this one will be a keeper. Obviously none of the others were. They were Smiffs, Rugers, Llamas; all went away!!!!!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I'm with you guys too. I love them Trackers, my stainless steel .44 is one of my favorites!

Coop

·
Registered
147 Posts
Congratulations, I'll bet you enjoy that one.
I had a SS 4" Tracker for awhile & mine would lead. I fire lapped it & that solved that!
There were two things I didn't care for one was the porting (said not to use capsule snake loads) the other were the Ribber grips. I really like wooden stocks. Those aren't why I sold it though, I just wanted something else. I think a 5 shot .44 Mag on the smaller frame makes a lot of sence.
Mine shot very well & was a joy to shoot. Maybe one day I'll have another.
Great Trail Guns.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Frank; interesting you mention the grips/stocks. There is another thread here that talks about the problem of tracker after market non available stocks made of something that is not so ugly. I also like checkered/smooth walnut or pau ferro or coco bolo. I am taking one of my trackers to a retired craftsman that is highly skilled it the art of fine wood working. He is interested in what I want. We are both retired and he likes these kinds of projects, we discuss these non vital, inane things over coffee several times a week. I hope to know more of the possibilities tomorrow.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Guesser
The thing I didn't like about the rubber stocks, & this includes rubber stocks on any handgun, is that I CCW a lot & rubber sticks to clothing. It'll catch on your jacket or vest if you bend over & cause the material to ride up sometimes exposing your gun. Another is if you don't get a perfect grip on the draw, it's very hard to correct.

Still that's not the reason I sold mine & I do think they are a neat handgun.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had this tracker out again this morning, put 50 rounds of hot Magnums thru it, Lee 240 gr. SWC/GC. Performed well, inspected for leading, fouling, etc. Looks good, so I moved to a box of hot loads with a light plain base bullet, the Lee 214 gr. SWC. After 35 rounds of continuous fire as fast as I could load and reload I started to see signs of lead, the bullet is skidding into the first inch of rifling. Fired the other 15 rounds and that was the only signs of fouling. It is amazing to me that it took the abuse I subjected it to and went nearly 400 rounds without cleaning before any fouling stuck. I said it before and here goes again: Good gun, a keeper!!!!!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
You must have wrists of steel!!! :)
I envy you guys that shoot those big mags. Last time I shot one I felt like I had a tornado in my hand. I like recoil but those can push!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The "ribber" stocks and the porting makes a big difference. Another thing I realized this last trip out and that is the difference that the expansion chamber under the ports makes with cast bullets when compared to the 41 Tracker that doesn't have the expansion chamber. The 41 is rifled to the muzzle and this causes much more lead fouling in the ports of the 41 than it does on the 44. Interesting!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
The "ribber" stocks and the porting makes a big difference. Another thing I realized this last trip out and that is the difference that the expansion chamber under the ports makes with cast bullets when compared to the 41 Tracker that doesn't have the expansion chamber. The 41 is rifled to the muzzle and this causes much more lead fouling in the ports of the 41 than it does on the 44. Interesting!!!
Thanks for that info about the .41. I didn't know that.

Guesser, let us know about the wooden stocks. I think I read on a thread somewhere that Hogue won't make stocks for the Tracker as it puts too much pressure on the stock & might split??? I don't know about that if the stocks are well fitted as there are a lot of .458 win mags. out there with wooden stocks & that's more recoil than a .44 mag?????

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's true about the rifle stocks, but take a look at a Model 70 Winchester stock, it has reinforcing pins thru it in at least one place for the lighter recoiling calibers and twice at least for the heavier ones. In a handgun stock there isn't enough meat to allow reinforcement unless it is epoxy impregnated into the stock material.. All that said; I'm still looking!!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Guesser

You are right about the crossbolts in the stocks of heavy rifles. But doubles don't have them in the butstock???? & they make those up to 700 cal. Not arguing, just wondering why a good, nice looking, set of wooden stocks couldn't be made for the Tracker. It is a very nice (as John Taffin would say) "packing pistol".

You'd have to be really careful & put release agent on everything, but I wonder about glass bedding a set of stocks? Do you think that'd re-enforce them enough to withstand the recoil??

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The glass bedding has been used successfully in many applications. I have seen stocks adapted to frames they were not designed of using the glass. I have never used it but it may be a challenge just to try it. I have stocks here from many different guns, even a 300$ set of 2nd style Python stocks, I won't use them, tho.

Reactions: Frank V

·
Registered
398 Posts
Maybe I am in the minority but I like the "French Tickler" grips on my Trackers. The rounded cross section and lack of finger grooves work very well for me on ALL FOUR OF THEM.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I just picked up a Raging Bull 454 Casull tonight myself but own a number of Taurus and Rossi pistols and Rifles. I can say this about them is all I've owned have been right on SAAMI specs unlike some Marlins, Rugers, S&W and Colts I've owned through the years. So hand loads seem to work as perfect as can be at least for me without the constant searching for the right bullet, powder and primers to make it work..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts