Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every day I check a number of websites to get up to date info on the virus. Normally I checked it several times a day. The last few days we've had deaths over 2,000 people per day in the US due to the virus. I just went to this site, https://ncov2019.live/data which has been on the money accurate and I've been checking it for over 2 months now, and as I write this as 7:18 PM Mountain time, the death toll for today, JUST TODAY, not total, but on today's date of Tuesday 4/14/2020, the death toll is 6,018 people. I'm not a praying man, but I'm praying I'm reading this wrong or faulty data has been entered. That's insane. I think yesterdays death toll was about 2400 people, and today we well over doubled that?!?! I need a drink. First I need to throw up, then I need a drink.

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
The death toll is terrible and we're still going with all of this....but it makes me wonder about some of the deaths that are being attributed to the disease. I've read some stories of people who's death was tallied into the COVID-19 ledger when that might not have been accurate. How many of these are out there, I have no idea, but it would be interesting to see if it's a large number.

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
You must have yesterday's numbers wrong. The site says "↑ 6,033 (25.38%)". If it is up 25%, it could not have "well over doubled".

Still, 29K dead in US so far.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
That number for USA 29000- is the total cumulative number of deaths up to today, all inclusive. Just how many were due to covid 19 have not been determined.

If I scroll down to Alabama ( been watching those numbers hourly)..... it shows 114 deaths- but that is the total number up to today...and only 73 have been attributed to covid 19. There are several other charts to watch like this one- https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

you can see the projected numbers in a red dotted line, and a solid red line shows the actual verified for that day. They do not update this every day so you have to be patient.
The projections have been greatly reduced over the last couple weeks.
Alabama was projected to have over 400 deaths per day back when I first started looking at it and now its been reduced by about 95%!.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Every day I check a number of websites to get up to date info on the virus. Normally I checked it several times a day. The last few days we've had deaths over 2,000 people per day in the US due to the virus. I just went to this site, https://ncov2019.live/data which has been on the money accurate and I've been checking it for over 2 months now, and as I write this as 7:18 PM Mountain time, the death toll for today, JUST TODAY, not total, but on today's date of Tuesday 4/14/2020, the death toll is 6,018 people. I'm not a praying man, but I'm praying I'm reading this wrong or faulty data has been entered. That's insane. I think yesterdays death toll was about 2400 people, and today we well over doubled that?!?! I need a drink. First I need to throw up, then I need a drink.
I don't know what site you guys are watching but I've been watching this one every day and charting the results have been consistently accurate with the numbers Phil has been posting from another site.
https://covid19stats.live/coronavirus/statistics/usa
Today the number of deaths were 1455 here is the number for every day over the previous week
4/8/20 - 1913
4/8/20 - 1941
4/9/20 - 1902
4/10/20 - 2050 (peak)
4/11/20 - 1830
4/12/20 - 1538
4/13/20 - 1502
4/14/20 - 2383
To date this site shows the COVID-19 deaths total for the US is 26,047
The odd thing is that your site and mine both show the same number of confirmed cases - 613,886, but for some reason yours shows 3700 more deaths TODAY. Given that the numbers were trending in the opposite direction (DOWN for several days in a row) I have to think that number is somehow wrong.

So the site I've been watching shows only 2383 for today.
I just checked the CDC site here https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
It shows totals up through last night and that total was 22,252. So if your 29k total is accurate, so is the 6k number for today's deaths.
So why would the number of deaths in the last 24 hours be 4X higher than the previous 24 hours? There wasn't a huge spike infections in the recent past. That number has been on a steady predictable curve.
I'm very suspicious of that 6k deaths in the last 24 hours number. Not just because it is 2.5x higher than the previous 24 hours, but also because it makes no sense.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
You just have to wonder about not only the accuracy of the numbers, but the HONESTY. It is not too much of a stretch to envision that some of the figures have been entered with an agenda in mind, as well as common mistakes of mis-diagnosis, or even just plain fumble-finger in filling out the reports.

"Figures do not lie, but liars do figure" is a statement long-enshrined in American culture.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I stopped watching the national numbers, i watch what is happening closer to my home. I can't do anything about it , national or local , the local numbers will have more bearing on what you need to do for your family.

I do know that anyone that tested positive for the virus and dies , the virus is getting the credit for it. They don't have the time to check what really killed them, same thing over in Italy.

How could here be numbers for the 15th of April, it's still the 14TH.(3 more minutes EST)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
How could here be numbers for the 15th of April, it's still the 14TH.(3 more minutes EST)
My bad, my watch was a day off on the date. I've corrected it.
I also found where I had mis-keyed some data.
What I'm seeing is just under 2400 for today - a new high - after 3 daily drops in a row, which is curious.
But still a long ways from 6k.
The other thing to keep in mind is that the daily number of new infections has been going down steadily since the 8th when it peaked at 34k. Today it was back down below 25k - for the first time since April 5th.
While it makes sense for the peak death toll to lag behind the peak new daily cases toll, the sudden 40% spike (900) more deaths today doesn't seem to correspond to a spike in infections a week or two ago.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Research how the CDC is determining cause of death. Many dying are "assumed" to be from corona. Many others are classified as such because the feds are paying hospitals for the expense of treating corona patients, and even medicare pays more for corona than for, say, pneumonia. Overall, the mortality rate is settling down to about .1 percent of those infected-JUST LIKE SEASONAL FLU.

·
Premium Member
12,528 Posts
There's only one thing I can do about the numbers and that's to stay home, which I'm doing. There are many things in this world that I cannot control, this virus being one of them and if this country doesn't get back to work the coming depression will be another.

·
17,579 Posts
I think it was NY. They added a few thousand in one shot they "assume" died from the virus. These were people that had the symptoms but died without ever having a COVID-19 test.

·
Super Moderator
19,639 Posts
Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I don't question the raw numbers. I question the interpretation of the numbers. As a retired (reformed) engineer, I seldom take numbers at face value. Problem is, there's no viable or verifiable source to determine the exact number of deaths which can be attributed to Covid-19. Regardless of who it is or the agency, all have an agenda. The three people to whom I listen and attribute a degree of veracity are Gov. Mike Dewine, Dr. Amy Aston, and Lt. Governor John Husted. And even their numbers are almost definitely skewed. And of course the media is absolutely no help.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it was NY. They added a few thousand in one shot they "assume" died from the virus. These were people that had the symptoms but died without ever having a COVID-19 test.
Yeah it looks like that's what happened. Those numbers have since been removed.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
They haven't a clue how many people have the virus. They don't know how many people are now immune from the virus. At this point it's on par wit the flu but the media exposure is far worse.
I have a doctor customer that was in yesterday and he's a well respected clinician in Springfield. At this point there's still more they don't know than they do know. However it's still not as bad as first suspected. The bad thing is how long a duration it has. It may rebound like the Spanish flu did.
The economic cost will be as grievous as the sick.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Just stop the worry. Very little you can do about it. I'm rather isolated from it all out here in the woods with the pigs and the squirrels and the deer, so maybe that's why I just don't worry. I know God has a plan for everyone. It's in his hands. Personally, who am I to second guess the Lord? When he comes for me, I'll be ready.

Reactions: MoKen and bigC

·
Registered
962 Posts
I check these deaths as well and while 6000 people dying in a day is a pretty big number. Statistically though 24,000 deaths is not really that many. look at flu season 2017-2018

·
Super Moderator
35,541 Posts
Two things come to mind. If the numbers are inflated by 5% it's still a heck of a lot of deaths. Also, does anybody die from the flu and pneumonia anymore?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
The site I'm watching shows 2 numbers for deaths- one is "Total deaths", the other is for confirmed Covid 19 deaths.

Right now for my state (AL) it shows 116 total deaths since first case detected in mid March, and 75 are deaths confirmed to be caused by covid-19, or about 65% from the virus.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts