Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to track down some info on my gun. I need the SAMMI pressures and such for the .454 8 3/8 Raging bull.
Im trying to figure out what the safe MAX pressures are for this gun.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Once SAAMI got around to rating the .454, they rated it at an incredible 65,000 PSI.
Most of the powder manufacturers show 50,000 -55,000 CUP/PSI max loads.
I'd be hesitant to go over 50,000 in anything but a Freedom Arms or a Magnum Research BFR, and even then I would keep it under 55K

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once SAAMI got around to rating the .454, they rated it at an incredible 65,000 PSI.
Most of the powder manufacturers show 50,000 -55,000 CUP/PSI max loads.
I'd be hesitant to go over 50,000 in anything but a Freedom Arms or a Magnum Research BFR, and even then I would keep it under 55K
Thats around the area of what im wondering. I want to know how far I can go with my reloads in my Taurus without damaging it. I probably wont reload near max but I just want to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
896 Posts
SAAMI pressure specs

Right side of the page. Says 50,000 CUP for the .454 casull

As for how far can you go with your reloads in this particular firearm is to make a few loads of different charges and test them out. Once you start to get pressure signs and such, Back it down a bit and that is where you should be OK.

Each primer is different so stick to the same primer for your test. Then again, Different lot's might be different to. So, my advice would be just to stick with the same stuff and work it up and go from there. Then, If you feel like trying something different, Go for it and see where that yields you. It takes time but it is rewarding.

·
Registered
650 Posts
CUP and PSI are different ways to measure and report the pressure. They are different enough that converting from one to the other cannot be done reliably. There is a "formula" that supposedly ballparks it, but I don't believe it. Otherwise it would be easy for the manufacturers to show both, for every charge. They don't do it, because it can't be done with any precision.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts