Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I went to the shooting range today to finish up my Remington UMC .40sw 180 gr ammo that I bought during last year Black Friday sales to so I can order some more .40 sw ammo. I've shot 200 rnd and when I get home to clean it up. I was having trouble taking the slide off then the gun is stuck. The trigger locked up. I can't pull the trigger nor moving it forward. So I took a hammer cover the gun with cleaning cloths then lightly banging the gun on the front and back. I finally managed to slide it. After cleaning it, I noticed there a chipped spot. Here is the photo http://i.imgur.com/xXKNQ.jpg Notice the red outline.

I've no problem taking the gun apart after cleaning and lube up the gun but I'm a bit concern if the banging the gun with a hammer and chipped spot might cause problem with the gun. What do you guys think?

Thanks

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
1. NEVER hit your gun, or any gun with a hammer, for any reason! If it's that hard to take down there is a reason for it and the hammer is NOT the solution!

2. Call Taurus Customer Service and send it back to them for repair.

3. Do Not attempt to shoot it until you get it back from Taurus.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
327 Posts
That "chipped" spot looks like steel slide-on-aluminum rail wear. Just a little too deep on your rails, it appears. I have it on my PT111 Pro and so do some others as well. The wear spot appeared after about 100 rounds but didn't seem to increase in size or depth with continued use. There was a thread on this channel that discussed this.

Partially pressing the trigger is needed to get the slide off the Millenniums. I have no experience with the 640 model, however, and this may not hold true. Agree with the suggestion to consult Taurus CS and perhaps send the gun in for testing and repairs, if necessary.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Called Taurus today around lunch time. I went home from work to make the call. Took about 30 minutes or so before a guy answer the phone. I tried my best to explain to him what happened and keep asking him if he can receive email or go to a url to take a look at the gun because he told me if I can slide the gun off now then there shouldn't be a problem but since most of you agree to send the gun back. I inisited on getting a shipping label. So they can look at the gun and tell me if it is ok or not.

Anyway, lesson learned. Never hammer a gun, No matter what.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
1. NEVER hit your gun, or any gun with a hammer, for any reason! If it's that hard to take down there is a reason for it and the hammer is NOT the solution!

2. Call Taurus Customer Service and send it back to them for repair.

3. Do Not attempt to shoot it until you get it back from Taurus.
Wise and sage counsel...on all counts. :r_c:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts