Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my opinion pistols should either be made all stainless of all blue steel. I hate the multi colored pistols and just avoided buying one. I was in the hunt for a Taurus Defender with a 3 inch barrel. I found one in a nearby town but it had a black cylinder on a stainless frame. It reminded me of when you fix a pick up with a colored fender from the junk yard that doesn't match. I would not buy that pistol and moved on until I found it in all stainless. The colors of pink and blue are even worse. I think the colors are a mistake and will result in fewer sales in the long run. What do the rest of you think?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I love a two tone autoloader. I'm not a huge fan of multicolored revolvers. Especially if that is just for the sake of the finish. I want an 8" Raging hunter .357 but not until there is a complete stainless look revolver. I have a Taurus 85NV that has a titanium cylinder and barrel shroud that are a different color than the frame. It's not my favorite thing but I understand that it's that way because of the dissimilar metals and not just to make it look that way.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah, I'm not a fan either. I think it makes them look cheap and lame.

·
Premium Member
6,398 Posts
In my opinion pistols should either be made all stainless of all blue steel. I hate the multi colored pistols and just avoided buying one. I was in the hunt for a Taurus Defender with a 3 inch barrel. I found one in a nearby town but it had a black cylinder on a stainless frame. It reminded me of when you fix a pick up with a colored fender from the junk yard that doesn't match. I would not buy that pistol and moved on until I found it in all stainless. The colors of pink and blue are even worse. I think the colors are a mistake and will result in fewer sales in the long run. What do the rest of you think?
Agreed, although I do like a nice wooden grip, whether a revolver or an automatic. That wood contrasted against blue or stainless steel is too appealing for me!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Been done for awhile...there's an affectionate nickname for this kind of coloring but I forget it. Kind of elegant to me. I've seen them in the opposite configuration, as well.

Ahhh, did a little digging and found they were referred to as 'pintos'.

Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Air gun Revolver

·
Registered
37,336 Posts
I agree!
theres nothing more classic looking than a solid colored Revolver!

Revolver Gas Machine Metal Gun accessory

·
Administrator
41,043 Posts
Blued or stainless is all I own, with the exception of some case hardened models.

Reactions: CJS3

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Currently, the only firearm that I own with anything but a standard black or silver finish is my Mossberg 590 Shockwave with a factory Flat Dark Earth Cerakote Finish.

However, I'm not against more colorful finishes on firearms. I like Nitre Blue, Rainbow Titanium, and Gold Nitride finishes.

Also, I got my brother a Ruger SR1911 with a Red Cerakote frame which has grown on me the more I've looked at it.

I had also considered getting a Taurus Spectrum 380 with mint green grip inserts at one point it time, and would have gone through with it too if they hadn't been so unreliable at launch.

·
Premium Member
6,398 Posts
Currently, the only firearm that I own with anything but a standard black or silver finish is my Mossberg 590 Shockwave with a factory Flat Dark Earth Cerakote Finish.

However, I'm not against more colorful finishes on firearms. I like Nitre Blue, Rainbow Titanium, and Gold Nitride finishes.

Also, I got my brother a Ruger SR1911 with a Red Cerakote frame which has grown on me the more I've looked at it.

I had also considered getting a Taurus Spectrum 380 with mint green grip inserts at one point it time, and would have gone through with it too if they hadn't been so unreliable at launch.
No, no, no, that Ruger looks terrible. You'd better send it to me so I can dispose of it properly. You wouldn't want your buddies to laugh at you or anything. I'll be glad to "take one for the team". No thanks necessary.

·
Super Moderator
39,243 Posts
It reminded me of when you fix a pick up with a colored fender from the junk yard that doesn't match. What do the rest of you think?
Made me laugh and conjured up images of my '69 Pontiac LeMans. I'm with Flareside in that a two tone semi-auto is a good look, wheel guns should be all stainless, nickel plated or a deep polished blue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like the look of a blued single action action with a brass grip frame and ivory grips.

Grips are available in many materials and I sometimes have checkered or smooth wood grips.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I don’t mind the two toned semi autos so much, it’s the colored ones that irritate me. If someone want’s a purple gun, let them have a purple gun. It’s the notion that if a woman is going to have a gun, it should be pink. A douche bag at a gun store tried that on my wife a few years ago. He immediately regretted it. He handed her a pink Ruger instead of the Sig she asked to see and told her the sig might be a bit more than she could handle. She field stripped the Ruger and left it in pieces on the counter.

·
23,575 Posts
I think the colors are a mistake and will result in fewer sales in the long run. What do the rest of you think?
They aren't my cup of tea, but I'm not sure what you mean by fewer sales in the long run.

Do you mean we'll see fewer nontraditional colored revolvers in the future? I've got no idea.

Do you mean the companies that sell them will suffer overall? I doubt that.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Pinto - part blued and part stainless - OK by me. Just like a polymer bottom feeder with a stainless slide.
Colors like pink, purple, blue, etc, no thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'll take pink, purple, polka dot, whatever paint over red rust any day of the week. Coatings' better than rusting. At my lgs I can get a used normal looking 10/22 for $350 or used one with a pink stock for $300. If I was in the market I would be grabbing the pink one. Nobody wants to be seen shooting it so you know the round count is probably low and it gives me an excuse to paint it. With a little black spray paint and lots of hard and clear polyurethane you would never know it's plastic underneath nevermind pink plastic. Gonna feel and look like lacquered ebony if I get my hands on it.
For little cheap pistols I'd probably just go with two layers of spray paint. If I'm gonna expect a gun to potentially save my life/feed me/fill a tag/ect. I can at least buy it a $3 can of spray paint in return.
I'm not saying I go out of my way looking for ugly guns but if I ended up with one through some odd circumstance and it gave me the groups and reliability I was looking for, I would do whatever I had to do to make it work.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If anything I think the colors increase sales, and personally don't care what color(s) they sell them in, as long as they are putting firearms into the hands of law abiding citizens. If it takes a baby blue or pink gun to get someone interested in the shooting sports and/or self-defense, so be it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I can't help being old fashioned about my revolvers. Real steel and walnut, polished stainless or bright blue. I really like the 3" 856 and would have one if they didn't all have the KRC (Krylon Rattle Can) finish.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts