Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Great forum that I found researching Rossi revolvers. Wealth of knowledge here and people who share the same ideas about the 2nd amendment!!!! Here is my concern. Whenever I make any decision it takes me forever. For example it took me 2 years to decide what mc to buy, ridiculous I know. Anyway, I kind of ( for me) impulsively put a R 85104 in layaway. I am to pick it up on Wednesday. Then after reading alot about Rossi, I see they seem to get bashed alot. Although those who own them seem satisfied. I guess I am just looking for some assurance that I have made a good decision, with this purchase. I know the firing pins have been discussed alot and that is one of my worries. I know I can send it back it something happens, but would hate to be without it. I also have read you can have a smith install a s&w pin, but if I read the manual correctly that voids the life time warranty???? Am I wrong about that? Any way, the gun will be used for target shooting and also for "just in case" situations. I will probably shoot non +p ammo mostly , but load it with +p for the "just in case" times. Any reassurances , or advice about anything with or about the gun would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Welcome from StL MO!!

It's crazy that an upgraded firing pin would void the warranty SOOOOOoo - if you ever have to send it back to the factory make sure that the gun is in original condition - firing pin and all! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I have a 6" .357 rossi, it is the smoothest shooting revolver I own. Mine is probably at least 20 years old and I don't know if any of the previous owners had any problems, but I have had none.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Hello from Central North Carolina and welcome to TaurusArmed.net. You are going to find some
friendly and knowledgeable people here.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hi, Jim:

Welcome to the forum!

One thing you'll find is that a lot of Rossi bashing comes from people who don't actually own Rossi firearms. (This is true of most product bashing, actually--it comes from people without actual experience.)

I personally have owned several Rossi firearms, and only one of them gave me any trouble. It was an early Puma .357 lever action; the extractor broke and it took literally years to get a replacement part. But I've been very pleased with my Rossi purchases. They've been reliable, accurate, and a pleasure to shoot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Many manufacturers have had quality issues over the years(and still do)...automobiles...guns...anything mechanical device you will be able to find somebody that has had an issue griping about it online. You can fret yourself into an early grave worrying about the details...:(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, all. I printed off the revolver check out paper. Going try to memorize it so I dont have to carry the paper in with me tomorrow. This will be my first revolver, but I have owned many long guns and have an semi-auto now. I am like a little kid, can't wait to get the gun, and hope it all checks out good. Ill let you all know when I get it and how it works etc. later.
Any other opinions on this particular gun??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome! Your chances of getting a problem gun are reasonably small. It can be infuriating if you're one of the unlucky ones, but it's very likely that you'll be quite happy with it. One thing; I don't own a Rossi, but it's commonly given advice on this forum to thoroughly clean the grease the manufacturer applies to protect the pistol during shipping before attempting to use it. Enjoy!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another question. It was recommended I get some snap caps for dry firing, but there are none in any gun shops that I have been in and thats is most all. So could I use spend cartridges to dry fire , or is that a no no?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico, glad to have you.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Welcome fellow Hoosier!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Another question. It was recommended I get some snap caps for dry firing, but there are none in any gun shops that I have been in and thats is most all. So could I use spend cartridges to dry fire , or is that a no no?
I'm interested in this question as well. :confused:

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Welcome to the OP!

I consider my old M88 Rossi to be on par with the Smith and Wessons I own of comparable era and configuration. I can't speak to the newer products.

I would suggest spending some time on the Smith and Wesson and Ruger forums just to get an idea of how many problems the have with particular guns. My S&W Sigma failed on me, and if you look at one of the S&W sites, you'll see people both bashing and defending Sigmas. Since mine was repaired, it's been a fine gun.

If you search for it, you'd find people complaining about or critiquing Smith and Wesson's :

-Sigma models
-post lock revolvers
-post pinned barreled revolvers
-SD models (sometimes)
-assorted semi-automatics from 20 years ago and earlier.

I know because I've owned several of those Smiths and have researched attitudes online. Now compare those number of complaints with the number of complaints you hear about Rossis, and try to discern if they're really any different. Are the complaints about specific models of Rossi's, just like the specific models of Smiths I mentioned? Or is it just some glock fan who knows all about Rossi's, Hi-Points, Tauruses, Stars, Astras, history, astronomy and the meaning of life? Ultimately though, it's your decision. Do what you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rossi, I think you are right. I am/was just more intuned to the Rossi, since that was what I was buying. Other guns have similar problems. I guess I just need to remember there are some people who degrade anything that is not considered "top shelf" by those who decide that title????? ( I mean who makes that decision anyway ???) Any way thanks to all for your answers and suggestions. Just a little update. The first time I fired it the trigger didnt reset on one round out of 12. But since then, I havent had any problem with that at all. Maybe just needed some rounds through it and some exercise.. It is an accurate little devil. hehehehe

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
1 Smiley Hello.gif Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

Enjoy that Pistola, no bashers here just caliber wars :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts