Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I took my Judge Ultralight out to play in the pasture with a few empty plastic milk jugs. :D

After firing the first volley of five Winchester PDX buckshot, I opened the cylinder to remove the empty shells, and a little something "extra" came out of the cylinder with the empty shells.:(

I have no idea what it is, but I'm confident some of our sage and wise revolver guys will know what it is.

I'm certainly going to be calling Taurus warranty service Monday morning.

I hope our moderators will forgive me for posting such large pics, but I wanted our revolver experts to be able to clearly see the part.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I believe this may be a rolled steel protective plate installed in the top strap area above the barrel to cylinder gap to guard the alloy frame against flame cutting. I read they
recently added these to the UL version of the judge. I did not see it or maybe missed it in the manual where they have the exploded view of the judge on page 19 but it appears to be what it is. Hope this helps! If you look in that area of the firearm and there is no plate and it seems to fit up there that should be it:)

·
35,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a slot in the area you pointed out that looks as if it would accomodate this piece.

But...when I place it there, it doesn't stay put.

Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The part that you are referring to is used in other revolvers as well. Here is a link to a Smith article about "N" frames where it shows a pic of a similar type of protective shield, like the one that came out of your gun, in the top strap area of a "N" frame revolver. Looks almost exactly like yours. The N-Frame Smith & Wesson
Smith uses them on their Night Guards as well:

Alloy revolvers have a hard time with flame cutting.

·
35,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The part that you are referring to is used in other revolvers as well. Here is a link to a Smith article about "N" frames where it shows a pic of a similar type of protective shield that may have come out of your gun in the top strap area of a "N" frame revovler. Looks almost exactly like yours. The N-Frame Smith & Wesson
Smith uses them on their Night Guards as well:

Alloy revolvers have a hard time with flame cutting.

Aha! I think you're onto something here!

Thank you, my friend.

Here's another pic I took after reading your post.

·
Registered
32,150 Posts
Maybe a dolup of locktite would keep it in place.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Is the cylinder hitting it and knocking it out? That should not be so loose that it falls back out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
From the picture of the Smith, it looks like retension of the clip depends more on the bent tabs
to wedge it tight. Try 'springing' the tabs a bit and see if it stays (save ya waitin weeks for the
company to fix it - still your intent to call Taurus today is a good one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts