Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The grand experiment into retail. It made money, but not enough for the time invested. No biggie. Anyway I am back full time with my old company managing a sand and gravel wash plant. Even got a raise and my company truck back. Stupid long hours as the old supervisor didn't do any maintenance or clean up for over a year. Oh well. Job security right? So fat pay necks and no time to be on here as much as I would like. I may be gone and forgotten, but I still don't have a purple house, or had a real White Castle burger..... But the time machine has been linked to the warp drive. I just don't know why MK wanted to go back in time faster..... As if it mattered to get there quicker? I just fix things. Maybe he will explain why........

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Well, if you have a family you need to find the job that will allow you to take the best care of them! I'm sure you found out that retail is one of the biggest adventures ever :D! You never know where and when your next dollar is coming from! This is NOT a way to live if you have little people depending on you! In our case, somehow our chihuahua's don't seem to mind if they wear a 3 year old out of style halter! I wish you the best of luck in your new old job! May it be challenging,satisfying , and not drive you crazy!

PS Be sure to come back and visit here whenever you can or we'll miss you!

·
Super Moderator
13,813 Posts
Good to hear you got yer ol' job back, with benefits. Don't be a stranger at TA, now, heah?

Wait..........what??? You let MadKaw use the time machine with a warp drive link?!

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Sorry to hear that the store did go as well as hoped, particularly as it catered to the 2A. HOWEVER, as a father and husband, that whole food, shelter, clothing thing does get in the way ;).

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still have access to all the guns. Just no fancy storefront or overhead. So PM me if any of you are looking.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Sorry to hear about your business. Been there, done that. It is tough to start one in this economic environment. But I am very glad to hear you could fall back on your old job. Sounds like they missed your presence!

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I still have access to all the guns. Just no fancy storefront or overhead. So PM me if any of you are looking.
Crap, forgot all about that. Heck man, sorry to hear that. Glad for you though that there was a fallback position. Post when you can, wherever you can.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
Glad to hear things are looking up!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I am sorry it didn't work out for you, but happy you could get your old job back and with a raise to boot.

Owning your own business can be a real challenge in good economic times and doubly so in poor economic times. I operated a part-time locksmith shop for over 20 years while keeping my regular job. I wouldn't have minded doing it fulltime but even with the investment in stock inventory that I had I could see that it would take a whole lot larger investment in equipment and inventory than I felt comfortable investing. Had I felt there was a good chance of getting the work from the banks in the area it might have been possible, but most of them were contracted with a much larger company from out of town who operated bboth a retail store and also a wholesale side too. Pretty hard for a new business to try to compete with somebody like that!

I will admit that I enjoyed the challenge and the work as well as most of the customers ( yes there was a few that were a PITA ) and I made fairly good money at it. The down side of the job was the night service calls to open cars and houses and not knowing what you were going to get into. Thank God I never got into a serious situation although there were a few times I was running HIGH RED alert and sweating some.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Good luck! Long hours and fat pay checks make for good night's sleep.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
12,089 Posts
Welcome back, Brent !

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Retail without the expense of Brick and Mortar is the only way to make is as a small business today. Good luck with your return to the gravel pit. Should we call you Fred Flintstone instead.:D

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
There's an old saying about running a business:

"If you want to finish the year with $100,000 in the bank, then you better start out the year with $200,000 in the bank."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts