·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now come the appeals.

·
Administrator
18,111 Posts
Not sure what will happen there, except that you can expect that the current regime of Illinois will fight that. Currently, the Illinois State Dems are putting up new Legislation to increase requirements and cost for a FOID, plus shorten their time validity from 10 to 5 years.

I recently got my renewed FOID which is still good for 10 years. Soon, I'll have to renew my CCW permit.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My brother somehow managed to get an FOID card with 6 DUIs on his driving record. He’ll never get another driver’s license again, but they’ll give him an FOID card. Go figure.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
22,836 Posts
Bet a bunch if Illinois gun grabbers just had a meltdown. Maybe if they get their First Amendment ID cards issued they can write a letter to the editor about it, or post about it on social media. Or maybe if they get their Religious Practice ID cards they can pray about it.

·
Premium Member
4,941 Posts
Unless you can convince a licensed dealer to perform the transaction in your home, this is a non-starter. While the judge ruled you don't have to have a FOID card to have a gun in your own home, how are you supposed to get it there? What licensed dealer is going to risk his business by selling you a gun without a FOID?

·
22,836 Posts
Wow. That's a "unique" approach to this news.

The judge ruled that the law establishing the card requirement is unconstitutional and therefore void. So the licensed dealers are no longer bound by that law. It sounds like the whole law has been determined to be unconstitutional. Granted, little will probably change until the Illinois supreme court hears the appeal, but if the law is struck down the FFLs won't have to worry about it.

·
Super Moderator
37,003 Posts
Unless you can convince a licensed dealer to perform the transaction in your home, this is a non-starter. While the judge ruled you don't have to have a FOID card to have a gun in your own home, how are you supposed to get it there? What licensed dealer is going to risk his business by selling you a gun without a FOID?
Face to face are still permitted in illinois for the time being, but one has to call into the State Police with the buyer's foid card to get the approval. If foid are now not needed, they'll have to modify that process if they can't outlaw ftf.,

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
its not having to have a foid card that gets me but someone who upholds and enforces the law would uphold an unlawful order that is a foid card. a bunch of good little nazi's you guys have up there.

·
22,836 Posts
That is a dusgusting thing to say. I don't agree with their law, but that doesn't justify that sort of language.

Reactions: Divebum

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My brother somehow managed to get an FOID card with 6 DUIs on his driving record. He’ll never get another driver’s license again, but they’ll give him an FOID card. Go figure.
A drivers license is a privilege awarded by a state, gun ownership is a birth right granted by the Constitution.
I hope that he don't drink and shoot.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A drivers license is a privilege awarded by a state, gun ownership is a birth right granted by the Constitution.
Illinois is a May Issue state, just because you applied doesn’t mean you’ll get an FOID card. Plus, after the fourth DUI, you’re approaching felony range, especially since most of his DUIs were while he was already suspended/revoked.

Reactions: RimPhyr

·
Super Moderator
37,003 Posts
Illinois is a May Issue state, just because you applied doesn’t mean you’ll get an FOID card. Plus, after the fourth DUI, you’re approaching felony range, especially since most of his DUIs were while he was already suspended/revoked.
I don't think it's "may issue". Our CCW permits are Shall Issue. The FOID may have slipped through the cracks, just like the Aurora mass shooter was able to get a FOID even after being convicted of a felony involving a gun in AL. Bureaucratic screwup which obviously means that we need more laws. :mad:

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
That is a dusgusting thing to say. I don't agree with their law, but that doesn't justify that sort of language.
Yes, perhaps too blunt, but on the other hand a common excuse at the Nuremberg trials: "I was just following orders".

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I feel like this is bad news for a lot of us. I'd like to see more people react on this.
I don't know one way or the other, but curious as to how it could be 'bad'.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
22,836 Posts
Yes, perhaps too blunt, but on the other hand a common excuse at the Nuremberg trials: "I was just following orders".
Following orders about genocide is a bit different.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Following orders about genocide is a bit different.
Indeed, but related. ...... So then there must be a 'dividing line', where do you draw it?

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I beg to differ. The "right" to own a gun is protected by the Constitution, not granted by the Constitution. The Bill of Rights spells out what the government cannot do to the citizens and not what the citizens may or may not do. An important distinction. It's part of the the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness endowed by our creator and unalienable.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Many states, mine included , have past legislation stating that we will not uphold unconstitutional laws on A2. papers, where are your foid papers... Whats been happening in NY,CA,HI, IL has discussed me forever. Openly hating and wanting to do away with firearms and using "regulation" and taxation to restrict is an obamanation. Thats a foid card, an obamanation, an infringement on A2 and everybody knows it but its the law. what are you going to do?
We don't goose step down here, we two step and don't tread on me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts