Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my mother-in-laws house clearing out some things, I was told that I could keep anything in the garage I thought I might want so I was just hoping that I would run across some tools that I didn't already have.....opened a box and pulled out a revolver. It's a H&R 22 LR that I've found out is a model 622. It was apparently made from 1958 to 1974 or so, and I would venture to think the gun is about 50 years old.

Now for the bad news....it's in dreadful shape. Just dreadful. It's pitted with rust, all over the gun. My father-in-law had it in a ziploc bag, and it was in Colorado for a lot of it's life. I watched a Youtube video and was jealous of the condition of the gun the guy was showing off. Any suggestions on how I can best get the rust off this gun without damaging the finish too badly, would be appreciated. If I do have to damage the finish some, I can always have the gun cerakoted later.

Now for some pics.

-

Attachments

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A couple of more.

-

Attachments

Reactions: nevadabob

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some more info....the action works, mostly, it does hitch up every now and then but it would fire. It looks kinda like a standard SA revolver, but the gun fires double action or single action. The pin pulls out, cylinder pops out, and you can use the stem to either pop out individual casings, or you can push the stem through the middle and the star moves away and you can take every spent casing out. Pretty simple design.

Reactions: Mark40

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Great Find! You can soak it in vinegar (slower) or phosphoric acid (faster). Either should be agitated while soaking. The PA will leave a black finish, The vinegar a raw metal finish. Both will only eat the rust, not the base carbon steel or any aluminum. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Well I think the ship has sailed on the finish being damaged. You could use any of the above methods or try something like Evapo-rust which I believe you can get at the local auto parts store. It comes in a big jug but not expensive. That should clear it up enough to shoot. To look nice it would need a professional refinish. Not really worth it unless there is sentimental value to it then go for it. Good luck! Post after pics.

Reactions: glenwolde

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Yikes! What do the cylinders and bore look like?

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yikes! What do the cylinders and bore look like?
I'll let you know as soon as I get the cylinder out. I've got it in the padded vise right now, muzzle up, with Hornady lube sprayed into the stem that is supposed to pull out and release the cylinder.

·
Registered
985 Posts
If you want the rust off, tear it down and drop the parts in a bath of white vinegar for overnight. Scrub the parts down with a nylon bristle brush and rinse with clean water to remove any black scale. Any remaining black spots against the metal's gray coloring is rust scale. If it still needs more soaking, do so in fresh vinegar, repeat overnight soaking, brush and rinse. Blow off the parts dry with compressed air, then cold blue & oil immediately or it will rust before your eyes.

·
Super Moderator
35,539 Posts
I remember those from the 80s IIRC. Gad, that one is sad. :laugh:

·
Registered
15,366 Posts
Reactions: bobbojama

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Please show us after you clean it up,bet it gonna be a beauty!

·
23,210 Posts
Something else I've had success with is copper and oil. Take a piece of pure copper (1/4" pipe from a hardware store works well, but make sure it doesn't have any sharp edges). Pour some oil on the rust, then rub with the copper. This method worked wonders on a Detective Special I got on gunbroker that had some little rust spots. Nothing nearly as bad as that, though. You're going to find serious pitting under that kind of rust. Enough that using a copper brush (which I'd normally suggest against for fear of scratching) is probably a good idea. I'd do the copper/oil trick, then hit it with a buffing wheel, and see what you see. There's always cold blue.

Keep us informed!

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
WOW! That is going to be a project. If the bore is rusted that bad you can always have the barrel lined but the cylinder is another thing. With rust that bad you are going to have some serious pitting. I would have it chemically cleaned first to see how bad the pitting is and where. Then make the decision to try and making a working gun out of it or just a safe queen.

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The finish is already had it so it it was me I'd take the grips off and bead blast it

Reactions: CJS3
1 - 17 of 17 Posts