Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Ignorance...

3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  soultosoul13 
#1 ·
I've decided the best way to deal with ignorance (Taurus Bashers, not those with real problems), is to ignore them. You can't change them and seriously that just come off looking stupid to regular people. They obviously are not hurting Taurus sells any, considering how many are being sold annually. Before the internet the only people that I heard complained about Taurus, were those people at the range or shoots that spent twice as much for something half as good ;)

Got love those Neophytes...LOL!!!

#3 ·
DRAEGER,

I agree, but once in a while I have to show them just how wrong they are. I was at a large gunrange in Houston TX a while back shooting my PT-145 Millennium Pro. There were three guys shoting to my right and one of them made reference to my Taurus something like being an "unreliable piece of foreign plastic crap". I never even looked their way, just kept on blasting away the 230gr MagTech ammo I practice with. I noticed that one of them was shooting some sort of Glock, another had a Smith semi-auto and the other had a Colt Anaconda. Their targets looked like they had been shot with shotguns. I heard one guy make mention of the tight groups I was making. 5 targets on one sheet and none of them was more that 3" at 15 yards. After shooting 150 rounds without any malfunctions the one with the Glock came over and asked me about the gun, I loaded a mag into it, handed it to him and said "I'll let the gun do all the talking". He proceeded to punch some very nice tight groops on my target, handed the gun back with a surprised look on his face, said thank you and walked away.

Later that day I saw them pull into a local chain gunstore called Carter's Country, so I just had to go in and see what they were looking for. The glock guy and the revolver guy were both looking at the PT-145 and the other guy was handling a PT-140 ;D. I did not stay around to see if they purchased them, had to meet my beautiful wife for lupper.

tex45acp

#5 ·
tex45acp: Been there two ways. The guys who sniff at my Taurus and quickly let me know what high-dollar, quality handgun they are shooting are blazing away at shorter distances than I'm shooting and getting worse groups, by far, than I'm getting. I get it a second way because most of my rounds down range are rimfire. I get the "bigger hole" and "real gun" comments along with them letting me know what high dollar gun they are shooting. In fact, I'd probably stop shooting and seriously meditate on my technical and character flaws if my groups were like theirs. I'm not a great shooter, I know some excellent marksmen, and I'm not one of them.

Fortunately most of the folks at the ranges I use are genuinely interested in what you are shooting and are happy to do "show and tell." I've gotten to shoot Kimbers and other high dollar guns including some that have been worked over by the big name companies. I've been very impressed with a lot I've fired.

My criteria for a handgun are fit, feel, accuracy and reliability. Price fits into the equation. My PT1911 fits and feels good. Is capable of one-ragged hole accuracy at 15 yards with I let it. The trigger is excellent. I haven't had it long enough to judge reliability, but so far, it has fired everything I've loaded without flaw. All for under $500. Now, tell me what more I get for 2-3 times the price.

#6 ·
I have said this on a lot of Sites and Threds. I have a bunch of Revolvers. I'll rate the Taurus Action as good and somtimes better than my S&Ws. I feel they are smoother than my Rugers. All are stock guns no Action Jobs. I can't say about how accurate they are, that depends on what ammo I use.

#7 ·
Any manufacturer is going to once in a while crank out a bad product. Those who bad-mouth Taurus, or any other brand for that matter, without proof, is to be ignored. I'll wager that most are urban legands begun by competitors, or some good old boy who once had a problem with a particular pistol and decided they were all bad.

I've heard a lot of misinformation at ranges and gun stores about various firearms, most ignorant or unfounded. Just because someone may shoot a lot, doesn't make them any kind of expert. I'll stack my two Taurus revolvers against any brand, any time.

#8 ·
and further more...

I know this post is old, but I didn't feel the need to start another thread. While cruising the TFL I came across some threads concerning Taurus quality. Word like not quite on par, or almost as good as come to mind. Also, guys who shoot over 1200 rounds and then complain if a part wears out or needs to be changed.

Now I can't totally understand if a weapon cheeses out within the first 300-500 rounds, but 1200-3000 come on! Something is bound to happen. 1911s don't get this kind of prejudice, do they? All I hear with 1911s is; Q. gun fails to feed A. polish the feed ramp. Q. gun does not go into battery A. check and adjust the mag. Q. bought a mill spec and want to upgarade it to make it run better A. take a perfectly fine $500 mil spec and toss in another $500-$1000 to have a fine operating weapon. Q. blah, blah, blah!

And I really can't believe that guys own guns that never jam, FTF, FTE, etc. My best friend spent many years around guns and was in the military and has stated that he would never touch a Glock because they are known to have jamming issues, . Yet I have not seen any one admit to this.

We have also brought up the issue of the PT1911s finish issues, but not too many like to bring up the bluing issues that Springfield had with it's earlier XD models. The Smith & Wesson M&P is still pretty new and needs time to prove itself. Furthermore, I am sick of all the "other" companies jumping on the customizable grip bandwagon, when it seems to me that Taurus got it right the first time.

Lets face it, it's not that the others are really so bad. It's just that some don't like to accept change and realize that this ain't you're daddy's Taurus. IMO, my Taurus firearms have been reliable, comfortable, appealing, functional, durable and economical. Would I change my tune if one of them malfunctioned, no. I'd get it fixed.

And to answer a question that some self absorbed people like to ask from time to time.
Q. Which is the best handgun?
A. The one that goes "BANG" when it needs to. Nothing else matters. Your life will not be saved by the moniker on your gun that says S&W, Glock, SA-XD, Beretta or Taurus for that matter, unless your really get your "Bang for your buck".

So, bottom line. Is Taurus on par with the other makers? Answer, a very bias Yes!

Rant over :eek:

#9 ·
And I really can't believe that guys own guns that never jam, FTF, FTE, etc.
With around 2,000 rounds down-range each, my Ruger P89, P95, and S&W9VE have never had a stoppage or failure, and my Taurus M85 has never malfunctioned either.
I have a S&W Model 19 for almost 30 years that had it's first failure to fire last year. The Hammer "nose" (firing pin) broke off. Smith sent me a new one.

#10 ·
Thunderhawk88 said:
With around 2,000 rounds down-range each, my Ruger P89, P95, and S&W9VE have never had a stoppage or failure, and my Taurus M85 has never malfunctioned either.
I have a S&W Model 19 for almost 30 years that had it's first failure to fire last year. The Hammer "nose" (firing pin) broke off. Smith sent me a new one.
That's really great Thunderhawk. How many rounds do you normally shoot any of your guns while at the range? I only ask because there must be a point when a gun (if any) can go for an extended period of consecutive firing before it is too dirty to function properly.

#12 ·
schlemer said:
And I really can't believe that guys own guns that never jam, FTF, FTE, etc. My best friend spent many years around guns and was in the military and has stated that he would never touch a Glock because they are known to have jamming issues, . Yet I have not seen any one admit to this.
My Glock 17 has had 1500 + w/o a problem. No reloads or aluminum cases.

#13 ·
FTF and FTEs can be shooter induced. Example A.
Firing with the thumbs up or straight out,depending on the brand and make, can induce the slide or one of the levers on the frame to be hit by one's flesh.This in turn causes physical contact with the moving parts of the gun,for a magazine to be dropped, the safety to be triggered, or a jam of some kind.

Even limp wristing can cause problems. Shooters may very well be unaware of this happening and swear that everything was done correctly when this is not the case.

This all happens to old and new shooters alike.

Occasional bad cartridges can cause FTE and FTF troubles as well.

While reliability is a major issue, there is more to this than just the gun's mechanical functioning well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.