Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Igman .223 Brass Damage

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  maloy 
#1 ·
I could use some help identifying if this is a problem or not.

Yesterday my oldest son was shooting a Saiga Semi Auto (AK Pattern) chambered in .223. He was shooting factory Igman .223 brass ammo. and using factory SGM magazines made for the Saiga. There aren't too many options these days for Saiga magazines.

The rifle has not been altered or modified in anyway.

Last evening he sent me the two attached pictures and asked me what I thought about the condition of the brass casings. He was cleaning up after shooting and started to notice that all of the brass had the same "dent" in roughly the same location. After studying his picture I also noticed that a few of the casings had damage around the neck, some worse than others. Specifically the first casing on the left and the third casing from the far right. He indicated that the rifle operated as expected each time with no FTF or FTE. No issues with the SGM magazines either.

Any ideas what would cause the cases to look like this, and more importantly would there be anything to be concerned about?

Would the Igman brass be that much softer than say a Winchester or Federal brass .223 and that much softer than say Wolf Steel .223?

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

Household hardware Cylinder Auto part Gun accessory Metal

Liquid Fluid Cosmetics Camera accessory Tints and shades

See less See more
Reactions: silverstring
#2 · (Edited)
IMHO, if there were no malfunctions with the gun then there is no problem.
I wouldn't think the brass would be any softer, I would thing maybe Igman is loaded maybe 'hotter' and therefore gets 'slung' out of the rifle with a little more speed than the other brands, possibly causing that damage. I do think it would be much softer than steel case ammo, it is steel after all.

Oh, stepping on a case mouth with hard soled shoes/boots could potentially damage it like those two you pointed out.

#4 · (Edited)
Kinda looks like a problem during ejection, or feeding from the mag, round is getting pushed up but out of line with normal feed path. First try diff ammo. Not familiar with Saiga's, but an AR with that issue could be gassed wrong for that load, or the shell deflector may need a pad, also seen a few damaged shells caused by an extractor hanging on to the casing too long, and the case gets damaged.
1. try diff ammo
2. check extractor tension, and look for damaged extractor
3. check feeding from the magazine ( feed lips damaged, weak mag spring etc..)
4. does the Saiga use a shell deflector, if so, maybe install a rubber pad.
5. problem with gas system.

#5 ·
My SVT-40 and my FN-49 both put dents in the middle of the case. The op rod hits them right there. The SVT is 7.62x54r, and the gas system is correctly adjusted. The FN-49 is 7.92x57. It used to catch the brass under the op rod, but careful enlarging of the gas relief port fixed that. Perhaps the gas system is set for a lighter load than what you are using.

#7 ·
Yep, I've seen AR platforms that dent cases like that, either the ejection port or the deflector.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.