Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The boss is cool if you carry, but is it in a grey area that can get you into hot water with LE?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm not sure what an over 51% establishment is. But we have been discussing carry at work here. Please feel free to join in there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what an over 51% establishment is. But we have been discussing carry at work here. Please feel free to join in there.
In Texas, if a business derives 51% of it's business(money) from alcohol sales and post the 51% sticker on the window, you cannot conceal a weapon on the premises. However, as a CHL holder you can carry at your home and work. Thus, the dilemma.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Interesting question. I would say no. Best I recall, the law did not have an exclusion for being an employee with only a CHL.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
I believe if the employer says his workers can carry they are OK, but I would think it should be in writing not verbal.

I know business owners and their employees are allowed to carry, but the main part of this is the liqour part of it, and the 51% sign posted.

Need a Texas response on this one, as KY you would be good to go.

·
Administrator
39,372 Posts
In Texas, I'll say, no, you can't. I've seen nothing in the statutes that says, except employees.

NOTICE REQUIRED ON CERTAIN PREMISES.
(a) A business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, and that derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code, shall prominently display at each entrance to the business premises a sign that complies with the requirements of Subsection (c).

(c) The sign required under Subsections (a) and (b) must give notice in both English and Spanish that it is unlawful for a person licensed under this subchapter to carry a handgun on the premises. The sign must appear in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height and must include on its face the number "51" printed in solid red at least five inches in height. The sign shall be displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
In Texas, I'll say, no, you can't. I've seen nothing in the statutes that says, except employees.

NOTICE REQUIRED ON CERTAIN PREMISES.
(a) A business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, and that derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code, shall prominently display at each entrance to the business premises a sign that complies with the requirements of Subsection (c).

(c) The sign required under Subsections (a) and (b) must give notice in both English and Spanish that it is unlawful for a person licensed under this subchapter to carry a handgun on the premises. The sign must appear in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height and must include on its face the number "51" printed in solid red at least five inches in height. The sign shall be displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
That's what I was talking about. You could call down to Austin and ask the same question, but I'm not sure I would trust the answer you get...everyone interprets the law as written to suit their own understanding. It would all boil down to the LEO answering the call if you were caught or inquestioned of a violation and the Judge hearing the case before him.
It ain't worth the bureaucratic risk and cost to fight.

Smokewagon, are you from out in West Texas or West, Texas? Just curious.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Self employed, Try to tell me no!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts