Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Nope. If money were no object, I'd carry exactly what I'm carrying now.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Nah.

I'm not into ostentatious displays like that. I would stick with a simple, factory stock blued gun with, maybe, some custom wood grips.

Besides, I don't think a Korth PRS would really need fancy engraving or some flashy finish. Maybe a set of American Holly grips just for some contrast, but that's about it.

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Super Moderator
38,570 Posts
Form and function are my mantra. I do like a well engraved firearm, but I would have to have a lot more disposable income to purchase one.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Absolutely not. Frankly, I don't see a point in carrying a fancy gun unless you're open carrying at a social event or something where such is permissible.
Otherwise it's a waste because you either have to carry it concealed or basically advertise the fact that you're loaded and let everyone know where your weapon is so that they can more easily disarm you.

Besides, in my experience, the more decorative the firearm, the less geared towards actual carry/defensive use it is. It seems like those who make extremely decorative firearms are making stuff like full-size all-steel 1911s or SAAs which are so darn tightly fit and meticulously made that the manufacturer either wasn't concerned about the firearm choking in short order from any bit of dust, lint, or debris which might find its way into the nooks/crannies, or just didn't care.

That being said, would I own more fancy, expensive, engraved firearms? Heck yeah, and I would have a lot of sweet custom stuff too that you'd probably never see anywhere because I am a man of eccentric taste, so it wouldn't be just color case hardened SAAs and gilded 1911s either. I'd have stuff like a nitre blued Walther PPK/S, a color case hardened Beretta 90-Two, and an engraved, gold titanium nitrided Taurus Judge Magnum, and a Buckmaster 184 with a rainbow finish. What's more, I would buy a really sweet camera, a house out in the country with a backyard range, and film myself shooting all of my weird, obscure, and wonderful firearms! Because nobody on YouTube does that and frankly somebody should. No ads, no donations, no massively edited footage, no desperate attempts to gain popularity by following the latest trends and shooting the same boring stuff everyone else is, just a wealthy man shooting whatever guns he likes in his backyard with a camera setup on a tripod, and whoever is interested can watch.

·
Registered
28,324 Posts
Nope.
I don't want a Rolex, either.
Nor a Ferrari.
Although I would consider a Porsche.

I am not troubled by status symbols. I do like things that function well. And I also value value.
I do carry a Parker pen, because I like it. But it cost $12 or so. Is it better than the 50¢ Zebra, yeah, a little.
OTOH, even after winning the half-billion-dollar lottery, I'd be more likely to buy a Miata than a Porsche. Same fun, less cost.

·
23,442 Posts
Nope.
I don't want a Rolex, either.
Nor a Ferrari.
Although I would consider a Porsche.

I am not troubled by status symbols. I do like things that function well. And I also value value.
I do carry a Parker pen, because I like it. But it cost $12 or so. Is it better than the 50¢ Zebra, yeah, a little.
OTOH, even after winning the half-billion-dollar lottery, I'd be more likely to buy a Miata than a Porsche. Same fun, less cost.
We think in similar terms.

I have never bought anything to impress anyone else. There aren't a whole lot of people running around this planet whose opinion I give a darn about, and none of them are impressed by simple "that's expensive" anyway.

I buy special items for me. I'm getting into watches. I find a few fascinating because of their history, like the Omega Speedmaster or the Bulova Moon Watch (for the same reasons) or Tag Heuer. Craftsmanship and brilliant design appeal to me - just like Colt snake guns. But take the design too far, get too extreme, and I lose interest. Like show bikes that can't corner, or Ferraris that need a new gas blivet every five years, whether you drive it or not.

Rolex? No thanks. They are like Harleys - cliche and overpriced.

I have a Porsche 911 - got the chance to meet a hero, and took it. I get it. I get why many consider it the greatest sports car of all time. It's amazing. I laugh into my helmet on a good motorcycle run. I do that in the 911 as well. But my 911 is the least-appreciated generation. Purists have looked down on the 996 for years. Don't care. I didn't buy it for them. I bought it to experience a sports car that actually has a huge racing heritage. I bought it to experience something completely different - a sports car with a rear engine layout. No other car offers that.

Pens? I'm too tough on items like that. I'd lose it. That's why I drive my 911 with $5 grocery store sunglasses on my face. :p I appreciate those expensive watches, but I've bought a Seiko 5 and $80 Invictas to modify.

I have done enough work with my hands (leather, lately building watches, a little bit of amateurish woodwork) to have a deep appreciation for the years of learning and study that go into becoming a skilled engraver. I have a couple of handmade damascus knives. I love the personal commitment they represent. I already have my dream carry pistol. Would I get it engraved? Maybe. But I'd be more likely to get a 5" 1911 engraved, make the engraving reflect some family history (my grandfather's decades in the coal mines, my father's decades in national defense) and at that point, I would value it too highly to carry it routinely. There's more to this than money.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
When I read the title before opening the post, I was afraid it was a different type of "loaded." which would be illegal. 😄

Generally no, but back in the day before my state had licensed CCW, one of the affirmative defenses to getting arrested was if you were transporting something that was worth thousands of dollars, like a jeweler transporting jewelry, or a bank drop with cash, if you weren't LE. I knew a couple of business owners that routinely carried around a money bag in their car for that purpose if they were ever stopped. So I guess technically if you had a super expensive handgun you might claim that was the reason you were carrying. :rolleyes:
Whether that would've worked with the street cop or in court IDK but it would've at least been a legal excuse.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts