Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...which of your current guns would you least want to come face to face with?

I have an SP101 Ruger .357 that I shot some wild and wooly loads through a while back, but the gun of mine that I'd least want to be used against me by a good guy who was defending himself would have to be my Taurus PT145. I shot some Herter's aluminum cased rounds through it yesterday, and the they were intimidating. Noticeably louder and more powerful than the Federals, and a fair bit of muzzle flash. The SP101 would be more powerful with hot loads, but I've got 10 rounds in the 145, with another 10 just a mag release away. The 145 is also so concealable, it could be carried without detection. Us bad guys would never notice it. I have a few .40's that hold more rounds, but they're bigger and harder to conceal (though still concealable.)

The Truth is, I wouldn't survive either gun, but the PT 145 would be more of a sure thing, I think. Does anyone else agree with my PT145 selection?

If not, let me hear what your "nightmare gun for thugs" would be.

·
Super Moderator
21,723 Posts
I'm a big 45 fan but my S&W 686 357 is a beast and truthfully I would hate to be on the receiving end of it. Plus I have taken Deer with a .357 and never tried with a 45. Not that it would not work. You asked!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
IMO you can't go wrong with a PT145 but it comes down to personal choice.

BTW you can use the 12 round 24/7 .45 magazine (PN 5-24745-12) for a PT145 if it’s a 2nd or 3rd generation.

You can also call Taurus CS to order the 24/7 C spacer (PN 26119366) to make it look nicer in the PT145.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMO you can't go wrong with a PT145 but it comes down to personal choice.

BTW you can use the 12 round 24/7 .45 magazine (PN 5-24745-12) for a PT145 if it’s a 2nd or 3rd generation.

You can also call Taurus CS to order the 24/7 C spacer (PN 26119366) to make it look nicer in the PT145.
Whoa! I did NOT know that. How cool. More parts to buy :) THANKS for the info!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Glock 22, 190 lumen light on rail - Pearce +2 (17+1) and more mags in bed safe, Glock 34 for my wife - 20+1 ( Pearce +3), Mossberg 930 next in access 7+1, 11 on butt& sidesaddle (more at hand) - next = DPMS AR, hope to never get there. All SD ammo condition1. The master bedroom is a one door room - windows are the 2nd option. We can hold that door ( I believe) for quite some time if needed.

Reactions: Rossi

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Ditto on the Mossberg 500 (it's in the safe) although in my house it would more likely be a Winchester Defender 20 gauge. It's stood by my nightstand for over 20 years. Pistol wise it would be the Taurus 24/7 Pro in .40 loaded with Golden Sabers.

By the way, if you want to talk intimidation, loose off a shotgun round in the dark and in a confined space. Even if you miss the bad guy you're probably going to blind him and deafen him. Same goes for you of course.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Ditto on the Mossberg 500 (it's in the safe) although in my house it would more likely be a Winchester Defender 20 gauge. It's stood by my nightstand for over 20 years. Pistol wise it would be the Taurus 24/7 Pro in .40 loaded with Golden Sabers.

By the way, if you want to talk intimidation, loose off a shotgun round in the dark and in a confined space. Even if you miss the bad guy you're probably going to blind him and deafen him. Same goes for you of course.
That's why you should have ear protection next to your hd gun.

·
Banned
1,997 Posts
I carry concealed my Taurus M450TI with a chrimson trace grip lazer. The M450 is ported snubbie in a flat blueish color titanitum in 45 COLT. I use silver tips in her.
Really a sweet revolver.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Nothing is more intimidating than staring into a 12 ga. barrel. Mossberg 930 SPX w/8 rounds of PDX1 or Centurion Multi-Defense.

If pressed into action, I don't feel inadequately armed with the 617 sitting on the nightstand, either.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
The reason I wanted a 10mm,
"To illustrate how much power the G20 packs in its 15 round magazine, let's do an (admittedly unfair) comparison with a typical .45 ACP pistol with an eight round magazine and bullets of similar sectional density. We'll use 550 ft. lbs. as a representative average for full power 10mm ammo with a 180 grain bullet (SD .161) at a MV of 1180 fps and 405 ft. lbs. as a representative average for .45 ACP ammo with a 230 grain bullet (SD .162) at a MV of 890 fps. With the .45 and a full magazine, you hold 3240 ft. lbs. of total energy in your hand (8x405=3240). With the G20 and a full magazine, you hold 8250 ft. lbs. in your hand (15x550=8250). Each 10mm bullet is 36% more powerful than each .45 bullet and the G20's total available energy is over 2-1/2 times that of the .45. In addition, the easy to carry G20 SF weighs 14 ounces less than an eight shot, .45 ACP, 1911 pistol we recently reviewed."
All things considered, I dont even want tobe looking at the other end of my SR22

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
I have nothing.. Remember all of our weapons were lost in the canoe crash.. Still have nightmayors..

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Stoeger Coach 12g. One barrel #00, second barrel, #3.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Now I wonder, time allowed, what would be more intimidating? A 12 Mossie or a guy with a 12 Mossie wearing ear plugs? I'd go with the guy wearing ear plugs...he's experienced....:)

However food for thought adding another choice -

Reactions: Rossi and btleslie

·
Registered
158 Posts
"....but I've got 10 rounds in the 145, with another 10 just a mag release away."
You are starting off with 10% less than you should. Add one in the pipe + 10 in your mag. You might need that extra round some day!

·
Registered
589 Posts
#1-12ga pump loaded with 00 buck shot, #2-PT145 loaded with 230gr Speer Gold Dots.

...which of your current guns would you least want to come face to face with?

I have an SP101 Ruger .357 that I shot some wild and wooly loads through a while back, but the gun of mine that I'd least want to be used against me by a good guy who was defending himself would have to be my Taurus PT145. I shot some Herter's aluminum cased rounds through it yesterday, and the they were intimidating. Noticeably louder and more powerful than the Federals, and a fair bit of muzzle flash. The SP101 would be more powerful with hot loads, but I've got 10 rounds in the 145, with another 10 just a mag release away. The 145 is also so concealable, it could be carried without detection. Us bad guys would never notice it. I have a few .40's that hold more rounds, but they're bigger and harder to conceal (though still concealable.)

The Truth is, I wouldn't survive either gun, but the PT 145 would be more of a sure thing, I think. Does anyone else agree with my PT145 selection?

If not, let me hear what your "nightmare gun for thugs" would be.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts