Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is about the 4th instance in 6 weeks at Midway Airport in Chicago. Odd that it is all MDW. This one caught my eye...

Taurus at MDW.jpg

·
Super Moderator
35,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The newscaster said that the passenger had a concealed carry permit in IN.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
WOW - I forgot Mace in my briefcase once a few years ago on my way to board a flight - but figured it out before I got to the security line.

I went to the TSA 'HQ' - gave a brief explaination and gave them the mace. They sputtered and offered to keep it for me (a
big can of the hot stuff) - I passed and that was actually where I parted with carrying Mace.

Guns - I tend to keep track of those.

·
Registered
14,704 Posts
I do not think that it should be a criminal offense when the screeners find a gun in your carry on baggage, that is what they are there for after all, to prevent guns from getting on the plane.

They should let you take the gun back and give it to a family member or whatever.

Missing your flight would be punishment enough.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I do not think that it should be a criminal offense when the screeners find a gun in your carry on baggage, that is what they are there for after all, to prevent guns from getting on the plane.

They should let you take the gun back and give it to a family member or whatever.

I get what you are saying but then how do you separate the good guys from the bad guys. If a bad guy could say "oops I didn't know that was there, let me go drop this off." Then there is going to be a lot more tests on security, when you can probe security frequently without consequence, you are going to find a hole.

·
Registered
14,704 Posts
I get what you are saying but then how do you separate the good guys from the bad guys. If a bad guy could say "oops I didn't know that was there, let me go drop this off." Then there is going to be a lot more tests on security, when you can probe security frequently without consequence, you are going to find a hole.
Quite simple, if you are legally able to have a firearm, then you are assumed to be a "good guy". You know, that whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing that our legal system is built upon?

I am sure they would run the person for warrants or whatever the police do when they are investigating someone but someone with a CCDW Permit is not likely to be a criminal.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Huh. Nice gun.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Quite simple, if you are legally able to have a firearm, then you are assumed to be a "good guy". You know, that whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing that our legal system is built upon?

I am sure they would run the person for warrants or whatever the police do when they are investigating someone but someone with a CCDW Permit is not likely to be a criminal.
Amen to that! Besides, if a bad guy wanted a gun on a plane, he would have worked out a plan to have it waiting on them there. All the good movie bad guys do it that way! :D

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts

Ok so people who have CCLs can run their gun back to their car but people without are charged with criminal charges? or people who forget a weapon in their carry on get a background check then cut loose?

I don't think that is very proactive security when 19 year olds are joining terrorist organizations out of the UK.

The TSA has a system in place to travel with firearms (checked, unloaded, locked in a hard case, and declared when you check the luggage.) If you can't follow that system then maybe you are up to no good. It's not an issue of innocent until proven guilty, you are GUILTY of attempting to carry a weapon on an airplane.

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
Hey, that looks like my TCP. Can Ya take a look at the slide, CB, and let me know if Ya see my name anywhere?:D:D

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Thing is, they're not Radical Islamist trying to sneak a gun onto a plane, they're just absent minded gun owners.

·
Registered
29,757 Posts

I'd solve that problem by letting anyone who wants to carry on a plane do so!

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
I was in line at security to get on a cruise when I noticed I still had my gun on my hip. Running back to the car it fell out of my holster. Luckily no one noticed

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
I just have to wonder, if you forgot your carry gun was in your purse or brief case and you went to the airport and sent it through TSA security how good is that gun going to be to you in an emergency if you don't always know it is there?

If you packed it in your carry on thinking you could take it with you, then you deserve to be charged with a crime. Yes I think we should be permitted to carry any where we go, however until they change the laws it is a crime. I believe in Florida it is a misdemeanor, and not a felony. Not sure about other states.

·
Registered
14,704 Posts
Ok so people who have CCLs can run their gun back to their car but people without are charged with criminal charges? or people who forget a weapon in their carry on get a background check then cut loose?

I don't think that is very proactive security when 19 year olds are joining terrorist organizations out of the UK.

The TSA has a system in place to travel with firearms (checked, unloaded, locked in a hard case, and declared when you check the luggage.) If you can't follow that system then maybe you are up to no good. It's not an issue of innocent until proven guilty, you are GUILTY of attempting to carry a weapon on an airplane.
You could always take them in the back and waterboard them... :rolleyes:

I suppose that you could record their information and enter it in to one of the uber secret special government watch lists that even some of us on here are supposedly on.

You speak of "maybe you are up to no good" and I say you were in a hurry to get to the airport because you knew there would be a three hour plus line to go through screening and did not want to miss your plane like you did when you only showed up three hours early the last time.

"GUILTY of attempting to carry a weapon on an airplane"? Attempting implies intent and, lacking evidence of intent, it is nothing more than an assumption and our legal system is not built upon assumptions.

When we lose our freedoms over BS like this, the terrorists have won.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You could always take them in the back and waterboard them... :rolleyes:

I suppose that you could record their information and enter it in to one of the uber secret special government watch lists that even some of us on here are supposedly on.

You speak of "maybe you are up to no good" and I say you were in a hurry to get to the airport because you knew there would be a three hour plus line to go through screening and did not want to miss your plane like you did when you only showed up three hours early the last time.

"GUILTY of attempting to carry a weapon on an airplane"? Attempting implies intent and, lacking evidence of intent, it is nothing more than an assumption and our legal system is not built upon assumptions.

When we lose our freedoms over BS like this, the terrorists have won.
If you accedentally kill someone (without intending to) it's illegal and we call it manslaughter, if you intentionally kill someone it's illegal and it's murder. I am saying that to have security that works you can't be concerned with intent. Weither it's accedental or intentional probing security checkpoints should be illegal. it's a sterile system and when we relax the system it would collapse. My opinion on the matter is all or nothing... If you don't all anyone with a CWL to carry then you need to make sure no one carries, ever. And you can't have people even trying.

·
Super Moderator
35,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We have a greater responsibility to follow the laws in that when we screw up it gives greater impetus to the vocal minority that would take away our rights tomorrow if they could. The question does revolve around whether the offenders are absent minded, too casual around firearms, or trying to skirt/break the law. Any one of these in my opinion make thee folks a more dangerous person to be carrying deadly force around.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts