Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Unfortunately, moving is not the answer. Like the people on the Titanic moved to the stern, you go down slower, but you still go down.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
No way will this pass, it would be virtually impossible for the police to enforce and would require an unrealistic amount of man hours to maintain.

I'm pretty sure one state tried something like this once... Massachusetts? Connecticut? I don't remember exactly what state it was or what it was about, but (IIRC) there was a bill like this passed somewhere in the past, and it ended up getting thrown out later on because it never helped anything, was impossible to maintain, and ultimately ended up getting backlogged even worse than the ATF's registry.

At any rate, I don't see why this is something worth moving over. I mean, so what, the police have a registry which will most likely be horribly out of date at any given time with the amount of ammo you've purchased since the bill went into effect? What difference would that make, unless there's some sort of restriction to the amount of ammo one can legally own or something?

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Unfortunately, moving is not the answer. Like the people on the Titanic moved to the stern, you go down slower, but you still go down.
Exactly! Work on trying to wake others up and calling your senators, congressmen etc to not support this and other crazy laws. Need to get rid of the FOID cards as well! It's crazy to have to need one just to buy ammo in state but can go to neighboring states and get all you want without it???

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cook County already has a 5cent per round ammunition sales tax so don't lay bets on this one not passing. Last election was brutal for Illinois gun owners. New Governor even bragged about it in his inauguration speech.

Reactions: darbo

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
No way will this pass, it would be virtually impossible for the police to enforce and would require an unrealistic amount of man hours to maintain.

I'm pretty sure one state tried something like this once... Massachusetts? Connecticut? I don't remember exactly what state it was or what it was about, but (IIRC) there was a bill like this passed somewhere in the past, and it ended up getting thrown out later on because it never helped anything, was impossible to maintain, and ultimately ended up getting backlogged even worse than the ATF's registry.

At any rate, I don't see why this is something worth moving over. I mean, so what, the police have a registry which will most likely be horribly out of date at any given time with the amount of ammo you've purchased since the bill went into effect? What difference would that make, unless there's some sort of restriction to the amount of ammo one can legally own or something?
Those of a certain age will recall this was part of the GCA of 1968, but the ammunition record-keeping requirement was dropped in 1986.

"The Gun Control Act of 1968 required federal licensing for all ammunition dealers, and required that a record be kept on all handgun ammunition sales by retailers—including the popular .22 rimfire cartridges. The requirements proved to be such a heavy burden on retailers that in 1982, Congress removed .22 caliber rimfire ammunition from the record-keeping requirement.

Even with that change, the value of ammunition sales licensing and record keeping was doubted by many, including the nation's top firearms law enforcement officials. In 1984, the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee concluded that ammunition dealer licensing "was not necessary to facilitate legitimate Federal law enforcement interests."

In 1986, the director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms supported eliminating the record keeping requirement: "The Bureau and the [Treasury] Department have recognized that current record keeping requirements for ammunition have no substantial law enforcement value."

As a result, the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 repealed the ammunition restrictions, with little opposition despite heated debate over other provisions of the bill."

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20120726/federalammunitionregulation2012

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Illinois is a reasonably small state so driving a 100 miles east or west to another state to buy ammo (in large quantity's, of course) could be one way to bypass the stupid state law. Mail order might be another.
Most of my factory loaded centerfire ammo was bought that way.
Each time I bought a gun I'd buy 3 or 4 cases of ammo for it.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
If I live there and this had any chance of being passed I think I would start taking advantage up some of the online ammunition prices right now. I am seeing 9 mm Factory ammo selling for $160 1000 with free shipping. I just bought 22 magnum for $150 per thousand rounds. that is $7.50 for a box of 50.

I know that many on here only buy ammunition on the few days if they can get to the range a year. They buy 20 round or 50 round boxes, maybe three or four, and they are good to go. These are the same people they got caught short when ammo was hard to find.

This is what I would do in this situation but other people look at things other ways.

Don

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
If I live there and this had any chance of being passed I think I would start taking advantage up some of the online ammunition prices right now. I am seeing 9 mm Factory ammo selling for $160 1000 with free shipping. I just bought 22 magnum for $150 per thousand rounds. that is $7.50 for a box of 50.

I know that many on here only buy ammunition on the few days if they can get to the range a year. They buy 20 round or 50 round boxes, maybe three or four, and they are good to go. These are the same people they got caught short when ammo was hard to find.

This is what I would do in this situation but other people look at things other ways.

Don
That ^^^ and I've said plenty of times before, even buy a few boxes in calibers you DON'T shoot. The small investment now in a few extra boxes could be worth more than gold, if you find somebody 'in need'. Of course, should all this pass, then you can go shopping for guns, since you already got ammo. ;)

Reactions: 230JHP

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really, if this passes just how long do you think 100 boxes would last most of you?

·
Super Moderator
38,000 Posts
That is just one of the projected bills designed to make ILLinois a gun free paradise for thugs. The Cook county ammo tax is being proposed for the entire state...to the tune of a penny per round. The feel good Leftists say they will use the money for public defense. hahahahaha. I am fairly certain that a ban on MSR is right around the corner.

This is just one reason to get the wheels clear of this godforsaken state. I am paying 3 percent property tax on my estimated value of my house every year. I added about 300 sq.ft. to my brick patios last Fall and got a letter from the Assessor stating that they will modify my assessment for 2019. As if 10 grand per year isn't enough money for them.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
38,000 Posts
There have also been ideas proposed to limit the amount of ammo or number of firearms which can be purchased monthly.

Reactions: kmw1954

·
Super Moderator
14,007 Posts
Illinois is a reasonably small state so driving a 100 miles east or west to another state to buy ammo (in large quantity's, of course) could be one way to bypass the stupid state law. Mail order might be another.
Most of my factory loaded centerfire ammo was bought that way.
Each time I bought a gun I'd buy 3 or 4 cases of ammo for it.
Agreed. If this passes and becomes law, cross-border gun shops are in for a brisk bit of business.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Agreed. If this passes and becomes law, cross-border gun shops are in for a brisk bit of business.
Then, they'll suddenly change their mind on border security.

Reactions: rollin thunder
1 - 20 of 57 Posts