Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and you watched Combat, you HAD to love this guy -

And my all time favorite Kirby line -

Hanley: If the Krauts start moving in, you know what to do.
Kirby: Yes, sir. Panic.

:D:D

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
I always wondered why it was they never wore web gear and packs but always seemed to be well supplied?

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
"Kirby" in real life, did not do too bad. He was marrried to a Playboy Playmate.

I loved the TV show, watched it as a kid.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I think that was Kirby, Lt Haney had the carbine, Sarge had the Tommy gun, Cage and Lt John had the M-1.

Doc had the First Aid kit with just gauze, tape, and powder, but he was able to save everyone.

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
It was a great show! I never missed it. My dad liked it too!

·
Administrator
39,379 Posts
That show was always one to watch. We always knew the nights and times our favorite programs came on. Not so much anymore.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay fellers, here you go - season 1, episode 1. And just so's you know how I work this magic - first I go to IMDB and get an episode list for whatever show I'm looking for. Lots of shows have episode titles, so I get the title from IMDB and then go to youtube. In this case I searched on "combat forgotten front", and voilà - free vintage TV. :D

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
Combat was one of my favorite shows as a kid. After each show was over my buddies in my neighborhoods and I would go out and play "Combat", running through the neighbors back yards, and gardens, hiding in window wells, flower beds and bushes, and pretending to be one of the characters in the show. We used to throw dirt clods and pretend they were grenades. We were armed with pop guns, BB guns without ammo, or toy guns. I had a toy M1 Garand, wood stock and all! I always liked Kirby, he was a lefty! Once a week we went out and saved out neighborhood from the Nazi's!

·
Administrator
39,379 Posts
Combat was one of my favorite shows as a kid. After each show was over my buddies in my neighborhoods and I would go out and play "Combat", running through the neighbors back yards, and gardens, hiding in window wells, flower beds and bushes, and pretending to be one of the characters in the show. We used to throw dirt clods and pretend they were grenades. We were armed with pop guns, BB guns without ammo, or toy guns. I had a toy M1 Garand, wood stock and all! I always liked Kirby, he was a lefty! Once a week we went out and saved out neighborhood from the Nazi's!
Same here! We even had land mines in some yards. We call it dog poo today! :D

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Liked the show too. the kids in my neighborhood played "army" a lot. In those days toy guns looked real. Unfortunately you can't do that today.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
We did the samething too. One of my best Christmas was when Santa brought me a toy Tommy Gun. I was the envy of all the kids in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Man oh man the memories...never missed it. I also had the good fortune of my dad renting a workshop from a friend of his who was a deputy, and the shop was right behind the deputies gun shop. As a kid, I got to hang out a lot in his shop, and it was loaded with Garands, carbines, Jap and German mausers, and tons of surplus ammo. I think my first real rifle was a K98.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
I think that was Kirby, Lt Haney had the carbine, Sarge had the Tommy gun, Cage and Lt John had the M-1.

Doc had the First Aid kit with just gauze, tape, and powder, but he was able to save everyone.
Pierre Jalbert played "Caje," short for "Cajun." He had so many wounds he was walking scar.

Here's an interesing tidbit from IMDB:
Several sources have stated that Rick Jason was to carry the M1928A1 Thompson submachine gun. After two days of filming, Jason complained about the weight of the Thompson and switched to the lighter M1 carbine and carried it throughout the rest of the series. Vic Morrow was then given the Thompson to carry. After two weeks, he also complained of its weight. A lighter replica Thompson was made out of wood and was carried by Morrow until it was time for a firefight, at which time he would switch back to the real Thompson. The replica can be seen with its incorrect ejection port.

Here's a bronze sculpture of Morrow as Saunders.

And Kirby was the BAR man.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
This was my favorite show as a kid. My dad was a tanker during WWII and used to watch the show and critique it as we watched. "Oh, BS, they wouldn't do it that way, or no, no, no they would have done such and such instead." I have a "Combat" t-shirt with Sarge and the LT on it that I found online a few years ago. My friends and I would play Army constantly. I grew up an army brat and my dad brought home gear for me to use. I had a helmet liner, cartridge belt, pack and an e-tool. My favorite toys were my Mattel made Thompson and .45 pistol. My dad got stationed in Germany in the late 50's and my backyard was the forest. Great fun re-enacting there and we even found a blown up pillbox to play in. It was basically a big hole with big chunks of concrete surrounding it. Wow! Thanks for the memories.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts