Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course, we all love our Tauruses, that is a "given". But as there are more of other guns than Taurus in my collection, I think it would be a safe bet that a lot of you own other guns than Taurus, too. So then, lets see just what is you choice for each scenario, list your favorite Taurus with model and caliber, as well as your favorite NON-TAURUS, Which one do you prefer for each scenario?

Self defense/concealed carry semi-auto: Kel Tec P-11 9mm or S&W Model 39 9mm as first and second, but the Taurus 92AFS, although a bit large, would work well for me in this

Self defense/concealed carry revolver: Charter Arms Stainless undercover 38 SPL favorite with the Taurus 85 Stainless/lightweight 38 spl. (DAO) a very close second especially because of the weight factor, and it has no sharp corners to gouge into the belly-fat.

Plinking, general shooting semi auto: PT92AFT is my current favorite (the more I shoot, the more i come to appreciate it) , but the S&W Sigmas are a close second, being just a few ounces lighter.

Plinking, general shooting revolver: S&W Model 19, 357 Mag is tied with my Taurus 669 357 Mag., both in 4" barrels. They are almost twins.

Competition: I'm going to try IDPA this spring with a S&W Sigma, but the PT92AFS will be backup, as soon as I find a suitable holster for it.

Bullseye shooting: I don't have a Taurus that would fit in this role. But a PT1911 would cover the centerfire and the 45 stages, if I had one. (Any of you guys want to donate to a good cause?) For the interim, I must use a Remington-Rand from 1943. And a competitive 22LR would be a nice niche for Taurus to fill.

Any thing else, define it and pick your gun:

Flash

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
CC: Taurus PT709 or Ruger SP101 .357

Home Defense: Taurus PT845 and Taurus PT111

Fun Gun: Ruger NM Vaquero, 5.5 barrel, .45LC/.45ACP convertible.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Whatever you like.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
My all-time favorite pocket pistol is my Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380 ACP.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am curious to see what people come up with for SD/CC because I want to look in to compact pistols soon.

I personally have limited experience and firearms (im working on getting more) so my PT92AFS is my multi-function gun :)

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I am curious to see what people come up with for SD/CC because I want to look in to compact pistols soon.

:)
I've conceal carried both my Taurus Millennium Pros, and my Taurus 605 .357 magnum revolver, but my favorite, on-the-hip concealed carry pistol is my Taurus PT740 Slim. I carry it in a Blackhawk OWB belt holster under a jacket or an untucked, oversized shirt and hardly know it's there. The 740 has been 110% reliable, is amazingly accurate at self-defense distances (0-21 feet), and easily concealable.

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
All I have are Taurus handguns at the moment, not that I only like Taurus, Its the fact that I find the best deals when shopping.

I have

m44 6.5" 44 mag
24/7 OSS .40
PT740 with crimson trace LG
pt709

·
Registered
373 Posts
CC is a PT-709 but after buying a M85 .38 I might be going that route.

Home Defense is a Mossberg 500 loaded up with 7rnds of 00 buckshot.

Plinking and dead on are my Walther P99 and the 24/7 in 9mm. Both hit POA and no problems with either.

Pain in the butt...er...hand to shoot my Ruger Vaquero in .44mag. but it looks good.

Now that my truck payment is gone this list is "to be continued"...:guns:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
My 605 and PT1911 Duo share CC and home def,my G2 in 45 is also home def. They are also my plinker's and all around fun gun's. So if not them then I would have to say my Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 44.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Where to start.

CCW-cold weather- Taurus PT101, Colt Government Model 1911A1.

CCW-warm weather_ Kel-Tec P32 or P3AT

Home Defense- Depends on the room. They vary. Star BM, Ruger P95, FNH FNP .45, S&W Model 669, S&W Model 625-3, Ruger GP100.

Plinking- Ruger 22/45, Taurus Model 66 3", Taurus Model PT58, ATI MS380.

Carry for bad areas- FNP.45, Para-Ordnance P12, Ruger SR9c. Class 3 M14.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I love the 7.62X25 round , And I love my Tokarev. I use Hornady XTP-HP 85gr hollow points that go a blistering 1,750fps
first time I seen this.. wow thats pretty darn cool.

um
home defense - sp101 to get to my shotgun

·
Registered
548 Posts
My next handgun will be either a Springfield XDM 9mm or and S&W M&P Comp 9mm but Im leaning more toward the S&W as it feels alittle better in my hand then the XDM. Unless by some miracle Taurus comes out with a new 5" barreled pistol. As Im more into comp shooting that takes priority but also on the list will be a 1911 or 2, and a Raging Judge.

·
Registered
693 Posts
My favorite CCW is my 709, carried in a Thies IWB rig. My most carried CCW is a Keltec P3AT because it's just so damn convenient.
My favorite shooter is my Ruger LCR in 357. Yeah, sounds like an odd "Range Gun" but I don't carry it very often because I need a better holster for it, but I love how it shoots and it's probably the handgun I'm most accurate with. That's probably going to change when I can get my 809 out for it's first spin.
For the home, I keep my 709 handy and an old 20 ga loaded with 00 buck. As soon as I'm comfortable/confident with my 809, the 709 probably won't even be loaded at home.

To BigCountry, There seems to be a plethera (did I spell that right? LOL) of single stack 9's available today. I'd start by looking there. I'd be SHOCKED if you didn't find something that you like and felt good.

·
Administrator
39,680 Posts
Concealed carry, PT145, Ruger SP101, .357. and Kel-Tec P3AT.

Plinking and fun, just about everything, but lately, PT1911, and Ruger Single Six, and Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt.

Bullseye shooting, that would be my PT1911, and Ruger P345.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Self defense/concealed carry revolver:My Taurus 405B.

Plinking, general shooting semi auto: My Beretta Neos (however, I will be adding a .40 auto pretty soon).

Home defense: I would probably grab my Winchester 1300 Black Shadow first and back it up with my 405.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im a big fan of the XD series from Springfield. I also have a Glock 27, with a 9mm conversion barrel. Its cool because i can fire 40 S&W or 9mm through it.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
CCW-cold weather- Kel-Tec P3AT and Taurus PT845

CCW-warm weather_ Kel-Tec P3AT and XD9sc

Home Defense- Remington 870 - Glock 21, Taurus PT845, Stoeger Cougar 9mm, Taurus PT99, Taurus M85

Plinking- Pretty much everything I own but always my PT1911AL

Carry for bad areas- Taurus PT845, Kel-Tec P-11

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
CCW PT145
Plinking 22/45 or 970
Baby mad, be back!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts