1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Don't forget Dirty Harry!

·
Administrator
35,577 Posts
Elmer Keith wrote some terrific articles on the 44 magnum, heck he practically shamed S&W into producing it. His real love, though, was the 44 special and he had is "Keith semi wadcutter" made for that particular round.

The rounder shoulder going up to the flat point is signature Elmer Keith. 8)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I just loaded 50 "keith" type bullets for my Ruger Redhawk 5.5" 44. It is my go to load.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Great video! When I lived in New Mexico, we had regular, informal matches with our .44 Mags using the original Keith bullet (Hensley & Gibbs had the only mould based on Elmer's original specifications at the time.) The 429421 of that day was a hybrid. Lyman has returned to the original Keith design specification and I have a 4-cavity on order. Using Keith's original design, the .44 Special and Magnum are stunningly accurate at close and long range. Using Keith's bullet, and a good stiff load of 2400 we would shoot at targets out to 600 yards and hit much of the time (depended on the wind and how much hazing we were getting) ;) :D

Reactions: Taurus_9mm

·
Registered
10,614 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
When I came to the States in '85 I was introduced to Elmer Keith's books and articles, and also the articles about him. Little man, big hat trying not to fall off the end of that cigar. He was a character without a doubt and a man that lived for shooting.

Hickok45 does some good videos. Not the macho, crap stuff that usually fills You-Tube but some good ol' common sense videos and the dude can shoot. If I could shoot half as well as he does I'd be twice as good as I am.

Thanks to the OP, I enjoyed every minute of it although I've never owned or shot a .44 mag.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I have two of Elmer Kieth's books (Hell I was There and Sixguns). "Hell I was there" is one of my favorite books. If you can find a copy I highly recommend taking the time to read it. You might not believe all that he says and the truth be known, Elmer was quite the story teller but his experiences as a guide and hunter are good reading. He was one tough Little Cowboy with a big hat.

Reactions: ncfarmer

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
On a 4 inch barrel and long shots: Believing you can hit something...that's the ticket. Without confidence why take the shot, you're just hoping!

Reactions: ncfarmer

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Elmer Kieth was a shootist, a handgunner, a hunter, LEO, and experimenter who pushed the boundries of his day. I've tested his theories and seen them at work. He sold them with conviction to some of the most powerful and influential men in the firearms business during his time. He was also an entertainer who spread his philosophy through the written word. God only knows what he would have done with the internet!

I buy, load and shoot Kieth style bullets by the thousands for .40 S&W and .44 Special. They still do what he said they will and hold significant advantages over "modern" designs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts