Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first bought my PT145 I was having problems with the mags. The bullets wouldn't tilt up in the mags causing a FTF.

Because I saw the problem I worked on the mags and buffed the inside/top area with a dremel until I no longer had the problem of the bullets not going all the way up and the tip not tilting.

Then, I was letting my wife carry the gun for a while. One day we went to the range and the slide didn't lock back. I figured out that her holster had bent the slide release in and it wouldn't catch on the slide.

I ended up having to take the two pins out and taking the gun apart. I bent the slide release back in place and put it back together.

I could see how others would be frustrated at there guns if they couldn't work on them and would have to send them back. If I wasn't able to fix mine myself I would have had to ship the new gun back to Taurus twice in less then a year.

The mag problem should never have left the factory that way but the bent slide release wasn't their fault.

I really like this gun now that all the bugs are out of it. I don't let my wife carry it and she now has my XD45 compact.

I can point shot this gun like no other gun I have and I use it for pocket carry.

I've put several hundred bullets thru it with no problems and I can bet my life on it now.

I actually like this gun better then the XD45C and the XD40sc we own.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Glad to hear about you handy work. I have the PT111, and while it is my 2nd one, due to defects in the first I too have only had a mag problem, that was due to being silly millimeters to wide, (would not drop out freely). I did have one that was cracked but it was replaced as usual with no charge.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is a 3rd generation. It has just roll pins and I used a pin punch to get them out. They went in with no problems and they haven't moved.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maverick7340,
How is the recoil on the PT145? I have a Stoeger Cougar 40 cal, the recoil is not bad on this pistol.I have been debating if I should get the PT145. I also have the PT111 and have the 17rd mag from the 24/7 9mm with a spacer that works great. I love the PT111. I have done some research on the PT145 and have learned that the Para-Ordance P14 mag works perfectly with the PT145, giving you a 14+1 pistol. The largest capacity mag I have found thus far is an 11rd magazine for the Stoeger Cougar, not worth getting since the mags that come with it are 10rd mags. I quess I have to decide if I really need another pistol given that I have the 40 cal.

CDP

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'd like some more info on the P14 mags in the PT145, and would like to know where you got the spacer for your PT111.

Recoil on the PT145 is just a tad worse than with the PT111, in my opinion. Yes, I own both and have shot both regularly. In fact, I used the PT111 to shoot my CWP qual (had just bought the PT145 and hadn't had time to run her in yet)

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Taurus_Jeeper said:
I'd like some more info on the P14 mags in the PT145, and would like to know where you got the spacer for your PT111.
That spacer is only available from Taurus direct. It is found on the web site, however looking for the Part # this morning I found it gone! I used to find it in parts & accessories.
Here is the infor from the catalog, The 9 mm 24/7 part # for that spacer is PN 26118947. It shows in the 2008 catalog. The 40 cal spacer is PN 26118955

·
Registered
31 Posts
Taurus_Jeeper,
[I'd like some more info on the P14 mags in the PT145, and would like to know where you got the spacer for your PT111] Like Robby said you can get the PT24/7 9mm compact spacer direct from Taurus, it is for the 17rd mag. They cost less than $7.00, I bought three, with shipping about $25.00 you will receive it in the mail 7-10 days later. They fit perfectly on the mag. I have tried the P14 mag at Bass Pro Shop here in Micgigan. The mag fits perfectly into the PT145, it does stick out at the bottom of the pistol grip. As far as I know Taurus doesn't make a spacer for the 45 cal mag. If I get the PT145 I will purchase several PT14 mags for it. But I have to debate if it is reaaly worth it to me right now to get another pistol. I like the idea of a 45 cal, I can get the PT145 for $325.00 plus tax out the door new. But the cost of ammo is much more expensive than the 9mm right now. That is why I am trying to get as much feed bach as possible about the real need to have a 45 cal as opposed to the 40 cal Stoeger I have right now. If I could find a hi capacity mag, say 12+ mag, for the Stoeger I would not buy the PT145, but I have not found any thus far through my research on the internet. If anyone has had success with a hi cap mag with their Stoeger Cougar 40 cal I would like to hear from you.

CDP

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well what do you guys think, get rid of the Stoeger Cougar 40 cal and get the PT145 or get the PT145 any way. Looking for some honest opinons. Right now 100rds 45 cal winchester practice ammo $36.00, 100rds winchester 40 cal practice ammo $28.00, 100rds 9mm winchester practice ammo $20.00 not to mention the range cost per hour. Having a CCW and practicing with your gun getting more and more expensive.

CDP

·
Super Moderator
21,798 Posts
Here's a website for ammo comes highly recomended its not the cheapest but you get quality ammo. now to your question I own a 9mm and a 45 I find that they are military rounds and you can get good deals on them almost all the time 40 cal is used by many LEO so they are also avalible. I have the PT 145 on my short list as guns to buy and they are vary well recomended on this site. I own the PT1911 and its a great gun. but is a full size gun. There's a new gun coming called the 845 if you go to Taurus web site and type in 809 you'll get the 9mm version. I'm watching for this gun with a lot of interest. hope this helps. Buy the way I can get 45 wwb for $28 at Wallyworld for 100 thats here in TN and $25 for winchester 230 grain personel protection for jacketed hollow points that shoot well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
CDP said:
Well what do you guys think, get rid of the Stoeger Cougar 40 cal and get the PT145 or get the PT145 any way. Having a CCW and practicing with your gun getting more and more expensive.quote]CDP, have you considered reloading your own ammo? Facing the same dilemma right after I bought my first 45ACP, I went this route and have not been disappointed. I use a Lee Classic Turret Press and load 45ACP's for my Taurus PT-145 and my Sig P220 Compact. I also load .380 for my NAA 380 pocket piece. It's a good hobby and if you can grab brass for free, makes it very worthwhile in the wallet department. There are a number of very good loaders on the market. If you do a little research online you will find fans of every make and model (and, of course detractors too). I chose the Lee Classic Turret Press because I read plenty of good things about it and the cost was in line with what I wanted to spend. Zero regrets after 3000 rounds. I wish you well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'll second everything he said about reloading, and the Lee equipment.

I'm running portable and single stage, but am looking at the turret press for the near future.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What am I looking at as far as start up cost? at what point will I make up my start up cost on my savings. Please detail it out for me since I am a total newbie when it comes to reloading.

Thanks CDP

·
Registered
230 Posts
About $200 if you go with all Lee equipment- -and that's quite some bit of optional gear.

Regaridng how long-- that's about as vague a question as you can ask. How often do you shoot? How much per session?, ETc.

I would suggest you start with the Lee Reloading manual. You can even get it with a press, at Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=480380&t=11082005

(note that that's less than I paid for the book, alone, on Ebay)

You can also get a "ready to reload" kit, same folks make it:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=423081&t=11082005

That includes pretty much everything you need, EXCEPT for the **HIGHLY SUGGESTED** reloading manual.

In fact, I'd just about insist you buy the manual. I can't suggest it strong enough. It includes loads for just about anything you'll ever shoot, and lots of hard-won knowledge as well.

Buy the second kit, and all you'll need is some brass, primers, powder, and projectiles. I'm casting my own bullets out of lead wheelweights. Not necessary, but I'm a cheap bastard.

I would suggest carrying factory ammo for SD use, BTW. But if you can swing it, reload your own for range time, and/or SHTF scenarios.

For me, reloading is an entirely other hobby, and quite relaxing. I will probably be adding a progressive press to the mix shortly, to build up my ammo stash.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts