Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been on a contracting job for the last few months and decided to treat myself to something when I got back. Unfortunately I DIDN'T take the camera to the range with me when I shot. But I have a few comments on that action as well.

Let me preface this gun review/comment from someone who isn't a gun expert with saying that I have owned various Tauri throughout the years and besides a PITA MilPro that I owned and sold after various trips to the Taurus guys, I've had a great experience and will be keeping my PT-92 forever. And the more I look at the G2 line of MilPros, the more I want to head down to the local Academy and throw down some plastic. But I must give credit where credit is due.

Onto the Walther PPX.

I have been in the market lately (as in a week ago) for a full sized auto in the 300-400 dollar range, and a very good friend of mine recommended several options: The S&W SD9VE, the Ruger 9E (economy edition??? I think??), and the Sig Sauer 250. Now I understand that the 24/7 line can be had easily at this price point, but Academy has been so good to me in the past that I'll shell out the extra 20 bucks or so, even though they probably have the best deals out of Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops etc.

First the Ruger: The 9E is basically a more basic SR9 without the 27 safeties that Ruger seems to want to throw on every gun. I understand that a manual safety is great, but this isn't a concealed carry gun I'm look for. The SR9 series is a great pistol, however the grip was too thin for my liking as I prefer a meatier grip. The trigger was acceptable and Ruger makes fine handguns that I would recommend to anyone. I shot decent groups with this gun as I owned an SR9 back in 2012, so the muscle memory came back to me, but I couldn't settle in. And the safeties...Mag drop, manual safety, loaded chamber indicator bleh bleh bleh...Not what I was looking for when a meth head busts down my door.

The Sig Sauer (!): Now we all know that Sig Sauer makes some of the best handguns around. I am more a value pistol guy and haven't had the opportunity (money) to plop down on a P226. With that said this "entry level" pistol is pretty nice and up to Sig Sauer standards. The box is cardboard, which I don't care about and it only came with one magazine, which if you've ever priced magazines from Sig...is a little bit of a bummer. The range time was a disaster. This is a DAO, hammer fired pistol. Yes...like a revolver, but without the ability to switch to single action on the fly. I finally was starting to get a little frustrated with MY horrible shooting that I bid her adieu. I GUARANTEE that if someone were to master this trigger, that this would be a great budget pistol, especially for those who aren't able to pay the typical Sig Sauer price tag. That darn trigger.

The SD9VE: Honestly I love the M&P line. Great pistols, decent to okay trigger, and you can purchase them without safeties. Thousands of police officers carry them for a reason. However, the SD9 comes with a more "defense" oriented trigger that pistol super-snipers :)rolleyes:) like me don't particularly enjoy. I must say though that the gun did what it was supposed to do. For a $319 pistol it shot accurately without failures and I could get used to the gravelly trigger quicker than the Sig.

The Walther PPX: Good God! Is that a Hi-Point? The PPX is uglier than Michael Moore after a sweaty walk to the mailbox for his documentary residual checks. But I saw the Walther name and the $399 price tag and figured, what the heck? The strangely angled hump-grip (for lack of better words) felt PERFECT in my hands. I also like that the grip forces you to hold the pistol right into the sweet spot in the webbing between your thumb and index finger. But man was it ugly. On to the range! I had read about the PPQ that the trigger was unbelievable for a "stock/OEM" trigger, however since the PPX was it's budget oriented step brother I didn't expect much. But...ohh that trigger. Smoooooooth DA first pull and microscopic reset. I almost wanted a manual safety. The trigger was really crisp and the minimal reset allowed for very little sight misalignment due to rapid trigger pull. Carl Walther, you genius. Oh and the magazines are really high quality with the "tenifer" finish which made magazine changes 2nd nature. Smooth.

In summation: If you are looking for a safety-less pistol in the 400ish range with a trigger that feels as if it's been to your gunsmith, check out the Walther PPX. The SD9VE is a great choice for around 300 bills if you can get over the trigger (which can be remedied with a $25 APEX trigger kit to reduce some of that pull, which still keeps you WELL below 400 dollars). I'm a Walther fan for sure.

Walther.jpg walther2.jpg

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
It IS a bit unusual looking, but I'm glad to have read such a glowing report on this Walther!;)

Reactions: HornedFroggerTCU

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like the HiPoint.
:shooter:
She isn't winning any beauty contests that's for sure. But dang that trigger was just so slick. Plus, I don't really care how a gun looks. If this were a collector's piece it obviously would be a different story.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Looks nice! Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Nice post! I've only heard awesome things about the PPX!

Congrats on your acquisition.

I was on GalleryofGuns today and their front page special is a PPX. Would run me 330 (after taxes and all) to my LGS.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice post! I've only heard awesome things about the PPX!

Congrats on your acquisition.

I was on GalleryofGuns today and their front page special is a PPX. Would run me 330 (after taxes and all) to my LGS.
If you can get over the looks, I say go for it. However without exchangeable grips you may be taking a risk that it may not fit your hands as well as it did mine.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
If you can get over the looks, I say go for it. However without exchangeable grips you may be taking a risk that it may not fit your hands as well as it did mine.
No PPX in my future. Not for 2015 anyway. If I do and up buying one, I would certainly like to fondle one (of PPQ, PPK, P99) in store before making a decision.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
WOW..looks just like my Glock too! I used to have that same problem with my Glocks and HiPoints too HornedFroggerTCU and decided to get rid of all my HiPoints and keep the Glocks. I'm not sure if I could live with the confusing all over with a Walter PPX. We "Fightin' Frogs" get easily confused, but do let me know who it shoots and all of the other particulars. I may sell one of Glocks that I have so proudly posed here with some of my other pistols. Whenever your free though, holler and lets have some of that foo foo coffee at Starbucks in the Kroger Store too bud.

P3090963_spcfy_web.jpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
I love my fiancee's PPQ, and I have considered picking up a PPX. Nice to hear that it shoots so well. Congratulations!

·
Administrator
17,666 Posts
Very Nice Walther! :cool: Congratulations and may it serve you well!

I've been a Walther Fan in the past and still own my mid 1980's production PPK/S, one WWII P38, and two Post-War/early 1960's vintage P38's.
Last year, I bought a Canik55 TP9, which is modeled after the Walther P99 AS. It has a great trigger and push button mag release. I love it!
Retail is in the $350 to $450 range.

BTW, Carl Walther passed away in 1915, his son Fritz Walther passed away in 1966, and in 1993 Fritz's son, Karl-Heinz, sold the Company to Umarex, whose designers deserve the credit for the newer Firearm designs.

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Before long you'll be wearing $99 shirts...

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk

·
Registered
612 Posts
Good gun, good write-up...Michael Moore reference...now, that's just funny...poor gun.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts