Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New York's new law states:

Ammunition magazines would be restricted to seven bullets, from the current 10, and current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.

Read more: Bill called 'toughest gun control package in the nation' passed by New York Senate | Fox News

So what would the implications be for a PT111 with a 12-round mag?

Glad I don't live in NY, but Illinois may not be far behind.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,548 Posts
You could always try to get some of the California 10-round magazines - if Taurus makes such.

EDIT: Well, that was a stupid reply on my part. Seven is now the magic number.
I wonder whether putting a wooden dowel under the follower or putting a bar through witness holes would be legal to reduce the capacity of existing mags?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think it only refers to rifles but since they pushed it through at midnight last night I'm not sure. I feel bad for my New York neighbors and I'm willing to buy an "assault" rifle anyone needs to get rid of it. Seriously, condolences.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 10 round mag won't work. The law states 7. What a joke these politicians are. Do they really think everybody is gonna turn in their magazines? While they did not outlaw the guns, they did make them useless because the vast majority of guns were supplied with magazines with more than 7 bullets. They knew exactly what they were doing. They can now say" See, we didn't take your guns, you can have them" But with out the magazine, my butter knife collection is more deadly. Good luck finding the millions of "high capacity" magazines in just New York you idiots. This country is going to hell.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
If I lived in New York, I wouldn't be able to own a gun - I'd have to be nuts to live there, and nuts can't buy guns. It's against the law - you know, the law that protects our school kids from nuts.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
But they can occupy the White House.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
I'd have to wait and see exactly how the law is worded. Based on this excerpt from the article, if the mag has no more than seven inserted, it would be legal. Little puzzed how the heck they will know how many loaded in a home SD weapon. I suspect someone has a large investment in gun manufacturers and looking for implementing a dumb arsed odd number capacity to sell magazines. Politicians, left or right, never cease to amaze me in their ability to propose stupid things that resolve nothing.

Ammunition magazines would be restricted to seven bullets, from the current 10, and current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.

Read more: Bill called 'toughest gun control package in the nation' passed by New York Senate | Fox News
OOOh!! Forgot to mention I'm so glad and ecstatic I don't live in NY. LOL

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
My question is does that 7 round limit include one in the chamber? If so, even my 1911 would be considered illegal depending on the magazine I have loaded inside. And what about all those police issue Glocks, even the smallest ones hold more than 7 rounds. Do all of these small town departments have to issue new service weapons to meet this round limit as well? How about Nanny Bloomberg's security detail? Do they have to follow the limit also?

Inquiring minds want to know....

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
From what I've been able to glean from other conversations, you should be OK as long as the mag only has 7 rounds in it.
I don't know the implications of 7+1 configuration, but I sure would argue it if I had to. After all, there are literally only 7 rounds loaded in the mag.
Glad I don't live in NY to have to worry about this... yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From what I've been able to glean from other conversations, you should be OK as long as the mag only has 7 rounds in it.
I don't know the implications of 7+1 configuration, but I sure would argue it if I had to. After all, there are literally only 7 rounds loaded in the mag.
Glad I don't live in NY to have to worry about this... yet.
The Millennium Pro is 12+1.

I've read the text of the bill. Very complex and not reader friendly, but it looks like they try to define what THEY consider assault weapons (pistol or rifle) and then say that that class of weapons can't have more than 7 in a mag.
Complicated and ultimately useless as it's unlikely to have any effect on gun crimes, even if it's enforced. That's just not the weapon of choice for most criminals. Stats show almost all gun crimes are committed with pistols and usually only a few shots are fired from any given weapons. Newtown and Aurora are rare, publicized exceptions.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Got to love states rights though since they protect you from the Federal laws with their constant usurping them with theirs. My advise is make arrangements to move to a state that you will be legal in or get rid of the magazines and hope someone makes a 7 rounder before the year dead line hits.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Too bad N.Y. has such asinine people in government,but they were voted in.There should be an effort to repeal all of those ignorant "laws".I think the mayors and governors and senators and representatives forget that they are there to serve the will of the people,not carry out their own ideals. morayman..........

·
Premium Member
17,743 Posts
I won't have more than seven bullets in my magazines...I'll have CARTRIDGES!
But each cartridge contains a bullet, so even with the incorrect nomenclature you'd still be in violation.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Too bad N.Y. has such asinine people in government,but they were voted in.There should be an effort to repeal all of those ignorant "laws".I think the mayors and governors and senators and representatives forget that they are there to serve the will of the people,not carry out their own ideals. morayman..........
What's really sad and bad is the woman in CT. which allowed her mental case son access to her weapons. Otherwise, we would not be having this discussion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.