Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you hypotheticaly be intrested in buying some? I am thinking of buying 3,000lbs of mixed once fired in 9mm, .223 and .308. Headstamped lake city......I don't want to buy it if I can't move it..........

It could be decent prices not insane.....

Reply what a fair per 1000 of each would be at.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
If I hypothetically wanted to buy some brass, the going rate online for 9mm is $.08/each, give or take a penny. Depends on quantity, the more the cheaper.
But since I have 1350 cases ready to go and no bullets, realistically I would not be interested.
However, maybe for the .223 if the price is right.
Looks like going price on .223 is $.20 to $.26 each.

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
I bought what was supposed to be 4000 223 cases shipped to me for about $185 . Hopefully you can get 3000lbs of brass cheaper than the auction I was watching from gov liquidation. 1 pallet with about 2200lbs started at $150 and ended at about $14,000. It was way out of my league.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If i get .20 for .223 it would be enough for a small profit. I will see if i can corner it.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Bass Pro had zero primers of any kind when I was there a few days ago.
If I could get some Small Rifle I would go for some brass, then get powder and bullets later.
I still plan on that AR later this year.

·
Super Moderator
36,395 Posts
But since I have 1350 cases ready to go and no bullets, realistically I would not be interested.
Why don't you hypothetically cast your own? I do. It ain't rocket science and lead, while expensive, is available and cheaper than store bought bullets.

Reactions: Bender

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Why don't you hypothetically cast your own? I do. It ain't rocket science and lead, while expensive, is available and cheaper than store bought bullets.
Realistically, nobody has any molds in stock, or they are OK to backorder and way too expensive, like $90 for a 2 cavity mold.
I keep checking every few days.

·
Registered
16,314 Posts
you know if you clean and tumble them the price you can ask will and should be higher. Not that tough to dump a couple of hundred into a tumbler for a few hours.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'd be interested in some reasonably priced .308 brass,but I won't pay the prices I've seen for it lately during this big scare.Military brass is a little more difficult to work with than commercial brass,though that doesn't bother me. morayman.........

·
Super Moderator
42,000 Posts
I think 20 cents is way too high for once fired .223. I bought 2000 for $160 in January. That's 8 cents a piece.
I made my first and only so far) buy of once fired .223/5.56 brass from the Brassman and recall that the price was under .08 each. This was about 4 months ago and it was "range fresh", dirty/unprimed and maybe .01 percent unusable due to crushing, etc. I didn't count them, but believe that they overshipped to compensate for the damaged cases.

That said, it is a commodity item subject to supply and demand and the demand side is pretty high these days. That will fluctuate over the next few months I am sure.

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
Head stamped Lake City leads me to believe it is military with crimped primer pockets. It's not a problem for me but it could be for someone not familiar with removing the crimp. Let me know what you decide to charge for some 5.56.

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
Not all Lake City brass has crimped primer pockets. I have some LC match 30-06 brass that does not have crimped primer pockets.
True, I've bought "NEW" Lake City Brass that did no have the crimped pockets "Duh" but I've never bought any once fired Lake City brass that came from the military or surplussed that wasn't crimped.

·
Super Moderator
36,395 Posts
Realistically, nobody has any molds in stock, or they are OK to backorder and way too expensive, like $90 for a 2 cavity mold.
I keep checking every few days.
Hmm, weird, checked midway, you're right. I ordered a .454 RB mold a month ago and it was in stock, but that's cap and ball stuff. They back ordered a box of Speer swagged ball on me, though, and I can't get caps anywhere, have to make my own at the moment. So, the idiocy is hitting even the cap and ball market, it seems.

I've got a pile of molds, mostly Lee. They've been improved, too, centering pin design is MUCH better on the new ones.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I made my first and only so far) buy of once fired .223/5.56 brass from the Brassman and recall that the price was under .08 each. This was about 4 months ago and it was "range fresh", dirty/unprimed and maybe .01 percent unusable due to crushing, etc. I didn't count them, but believe that they overshipped to compensate for the damaged cases.

That said, it is a commodity item subject to supply and demand and the demand side is pretty high these days. That will fluctuate over the next few months I am sure.

I just bought 500 pieces from them, head stamped Remington, for $65. Same condition as yours. I was happy to get them!

Oops, meant to say they are head stamped Federal in .223 Remington

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.