Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, this is the second time in my life I've had to deal with this. This time it was a long distance thing. I stopped at a local store on my way to work this afternoon for a drink and some chips but my card was declined. I left and checked my account balance on my phone, everything was fine. I stopped at another store just before I made it to work and tried again but it was once again declined. By this time I'm pretty pissed and I called my bank to find out what was going on. After verifying all of my information she said it looked like the fraud department put a hold on transactions from my card. Turns out someone in Miami got my card # and tried to buy gas at a 7Eleven. I cancelled my card and had a new one sent my way.

Monday I am contacting the fraud department to find out exactly what store it was and then I'm contacting Miami PD to file a report. I really hate worthless POS thieves that hide behind technology. The good thing is the bank caught it and I'm not out any money, I just had to suffer through the night with no food or drinks! LoL

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Cash and not johnny! :cool:

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I'll agree with you about the POS label for a thief...whether they choose to steal identity or property.
:mad:
They are too lazy to get a job and earn their way through life; they'd rather pilfer and steal what other people have worked for.

Reactions: GunsandNoses

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I agree that these people are lower than whale dung, but they are a fact of life in todays society and will remain so until the liberals and our court systems come down on them like a load of that whale dung!

This is one reason that the wife and I DO NOT conduct any business transactions via the internet and no online banking nor any ATM of debit cards. The only things We use the credit card for is gas and occasional motel reservations by telephone and the bill is paid in full every month. We did charge a larger purchase using a credit card we hadn't used for sometime last fall simply because the credit card company offered us a deal with no interest on charges made in a 90 day period as long as the charges were paid within one year. I figured WTH I'll use their money and leave mine in the bank and keep the cash in my pocket, although I have been paying five times the minnium payment just to get it paid off! I even earned cash back rewards for the charges!!!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Your bank rocks send them a thank you letter. Make sure whatever card(s) you use even if it is a debt card has the visa, mastercard etc logo. Those cards are insured against fraud.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, my card is backed by Visa. I bank with Regions, they are pretty vigilant about fraud. When I get the store number that this transaction was declined at someone is losing their job. As I've said, I'm reporting it to Miami PD but I'm also calling the manager of the store to discuss why one of the cashier's ran a debit card number without seeing the actual card! That to me sounds like they were in on it. My Wife worked at a local gas station for a while and had people try this "I lost my card but this is my number" BS a few times. She always told them that their need for cigarette's/gas/beer/junk food didn't outweigh her need for a job!

·
Super Moderator
26,864 Posts
Glad it turned out all right.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
I had my identity stolen two years ago, through my bank. The banks Security & Fraud Dept. thinks it was one of the Russian mobs. Luckily for me, I was checking my balance, getting ready to pay some bills and got busy with some nonsense, like a gun forum and ten minutes later, I couldn't access any of my accounts. The bank, trying to verify who they were speaking with, insisted I live in Chicago (I live in Fl.)
Pure hell, I tell you. They still come back and try to hack into various accounts. The bank told me to get used to it, it won't go away.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Glad to hear they caught it so fast.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Be glad that your bank caught it before any damage was really done. I know it is a pain to wait for a card but at least your credit / bank balance did not suffer. I recommend going to experian, equifax or transunion website and placing a fraud alert on yourself. This will prevent anyone from opening an account in your name since you may never find out how they got your card number. It is free and it will require any organization opening a credit line to call you before it can be opened. You only need to visit once and they will place a block with the other two.

Reactions: rodfair

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
I had my information stolen with several Hundred thousands from Country wide. They paid for credit protection for two years and so far noting. I did have someone say I bought a car for a old folks home but I filled a police report and the collection co went away. As they found out they could be held liable for fraud. Always file a police report its the best friend you will have.

Reactions: rodfair

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Glad to see this topic. I was just about to post a question about it.

I've had similar things happen a handful of times. Never resulted in anything out of my pocket, but the stress level goes up, and of course it's aggrivating as hell.

I was considering getting "Life-Lock" or one of those deals. They even have an NRA discount. Anybody have it? Know about it, or have any opinions or ideas?

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
Glad to see this topic. I was just about to post a question about it.

I've had similar things happen a handful of times. Never resulted in anything out of my pocket, but the stress level goes up, and of course it's aggrivating as hell.

I was considering getting "Life-Lock" or one of those deals. They even have an NRA discount. Anybody have it? Know about it, or have any opinions or ideas?
Absolutely file a police report, it's a paper trail that'll show your creditor's you've had your identity stolen. Believe me, they know, they see it happen every day, but if you don't dot your I's and cross your T's they'll try and stick you with it.

I've had Lifelock for years, I had to call them and tell them my identity was stolen. They have a "plus" membership or something of that nature now. They monitor your bank account. Before, they monitored the three credit reporting agencies, looking for application's and credit checks for buying Planes, Trains and Automobiles. It didn't work with bank fraud, as they found out in my case. FWIW, I still have LifeLock, but I'm not confident, they'd catch these electronic thieves.

·
Super Moderator
26,864 Posts
Clark Howard, of Clark howard.com fame says you can do all the things that lifelocl does yourself at no cost. It is on his website...along with a gazillion other things. He is also a great friend of vets, offers totally FREE advice on a one to one basis with his staff. One thing I recommend is blocking credit card applications. One phone call and it blocks them for 5 years.

Clark Howard: Save More, Spend Less and Avoid Rip-offs | www.clarkhoward.com

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I had mine stolen in October. It was a card tied to a loan through US Bank. I never activated it. We had to pay on it or we would be charged interest, total BS. We went to local US Bank and I made the personal banker cut all cards tied to the account. We ended up getting most of the money back maybe a buck less. Have since paid off account with US Bank and no longer do business with them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
On top of what you just did, I recommend to all to do the following:

1 Put a credit freeze on your credit. IE Experian.COM. They will then automatically notify the other bureaus.
2 Go to the Federal Trade Commission and file a report. That is more statistical, but funding is needed to work these cases.
3 realize 1 in 4 are the victims of some sort now days. My wife had checks forged 2years back for over 13k. It pisses one off!
4 karma

Mike

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Miami is a cluster****!!! I called Miami PD and was told the store it happened at was not in their jurisdiction. They gave me the number for Miami Gardens PD. Miami Gardens said it was Miami PD's jurisdiction, when I said they told me it wasn't, he said "Well, try Miami-Dade" and gave me a number for them. Called them and after an hour they called me back and said it wasn't their jurisdiction either!

I guess that means if I go down there and beat the crap out of the POS that did this, nobody will respond to the call and I'll get away with it! I get the impression Miami really doesn't care.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts