Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find out what model revolver this is. I'm told that it is around 20 to 25 years old. There are only two number sets on it. One is the serial and the other is M146. Is this the model?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Yep, will need some pictures. I have a couple of books like around that I can check against if you post the pics....

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I think that 146 number is the model. It might be the 6th edition of the model 14.
Oops! Brain fart, I'm thinking S&W.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Is the barrel a 6"? If it is, you have a Model 86 revolver. The picture in the 2011 Standard Catalog of Firearms is a ringer for yours. Adjustable sights, skinny barrel with no underlug, and all. Prices run from $275 for Excellent down to $75.00 for Poor.

Page 1176. :)

If it doesn't have the Miami address, or Interarms stamp, it could have been brought into the country from gosh knows when. It would then have had only a Brazilian Model number of it. However, it sure looks like it became the Model 86 when Taurus began importation on it's own.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Sounds like JR is on the money. BTW, how much did you pay for your revolver? Have you had a chance to fire it yet? It looks to be in great condition.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My dad got it years ago. He gave it to me a couple years back. its in pretty good condition. It needs a new firing pin put on the hammer. I like it a lot except the fact that after u fire all 6 rounds the cartridges tend to get stuck in there. you really have to work the ejector to get them out. I've tried cleaning the cylinder out good but they still want to stick. It's usually just 2 that stick.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Well, since it didn't cost you anything, perhaps its worth taking to a gunsmith, and having some of these problems rectified? It wouldn't cost much. Besides, it's a firearm heirloom from you Dad, so you want to keep it in tip top condition! :D

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
A fixed sight revolver of that age is most likely to be the model 80 (my guess) or perhaps a model 82. Congrats on that nice looking old Taurus!

Coop

·
Super Moderator
36,371 Posts
Well, since it didn't cost you anything, perhaps its worth taking to a gunsmith, and having some of these problems rectified? It wouldn't cost much. Besides, it's a firearm heirloom from you Dad, so you want to keep it in tip top condition! :D
Wouldn't Taurus work it over if you shipped it to them?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They probably would but ive heard many of the horror stories about how long it can take to get your gun back. Id rather pay a little to get it back sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
"They probably would but ive heard many of the horror stories about how long it can take to get your gun back. Id rather pay a little to get it back sooner rather than later. "

Don't bet on that. Most good gunsmith's are booked solid around here. Too many people having trigger jobs, night sights, throating, and so on done for their new CCW weapons. My Colt 1911 has been two weeks at the gunsmith already, and I'm looking at at least another two.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts