Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Identify my PT-92AF

18K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  chefjohn 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i just bought a PT-92AF. It is in way better shape than the pics suggest, and the owner said its 21 y/o...which makes it a 1990 model.

The thing is, i dont believe it is as old as the previous owner said it was. The rollmarks look newer than "Maximumbob54"' 's Taurus which looks to be a older model. Here is his pistol: Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

This is my pistol: Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel
, Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel
, Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Airsoft
Metal Steel Iron Titanium Pipe

The roll marks look new (in some pics might look faded or worn, but its just the lighting), it has a decocker which isnt a older feature, right?

Anyways, i cant wait to get my pistol out of 10day jail (here in CA). Besides this, i have a glock 30 subcompact, a glock 31 with a 9mm conversion barrel, 2 AR-15's, A old british enfield No1MK3, and a remington 870 shotgun. My gf has a ROSSI .357/38 2" snubnose revolver which is in the Taurus family.

Please let me know what im looking at! Thanks guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
Put your serial number in here and it should give the year.

Find My Model

#3 ·
I beleive the de-cocker was added in 1991. If the serial number search does not work call them they should be able to tell you. Of the 3 Taurus guns I own none of the model numbers come up in the search online, a quick call solved two of them, third one is just to old.

#4 ·
Hey guys, i just bought a PT-92AF. It is in way better shape than the pics suggest, and the owner said its 21 y/o...which makes it a 1990 model.

The thing is, i dont believe it is as old as the previous owner said it was. The rollmarks look newer than "Maximumbob54"' 's Taurus which looks to be a older model. Here is his pistol: View attachment 20223

This is my pistol: View attachment 20224 , View attachment 20225 , View attachment 20226 View attachment 20227

The roll marks look new (in some pics might look faded or worn, but its just the lighting), it has a decocker which isnt a older feature, right?

Anyways, i cant wait to get my pistol out of 10day jail (here in CA). Besides this, i have a glock 30 subcompact, a glock 31 with a 9mm conversion barrel, 2 AR-15's, A old british enfield No1MK3, and a remington 870 shotgun. My gf has a ROSSI .357/38 2" snubnose revolver which is in the Taurus family.

Please let me know what im looking at! Thanks guys!
According to Taurus, that's a 1986 production year on the first one but I don't Serial Numbers on yours.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
My serial # is TLD440***. I checked the link montkun posted and it says my Taurus is a 1992 92B model.

I guess that answered my question. Does anyone have one of this guys brothers or sisters?
Since you say it is a "92B", I'll take a WAG and say that the roll marks have been enhanced because the previous owner had the sides of the slide polished. I don't know the history of the model evolution, but doesn't the 'B' mean blue? I, and many here in another thread, have done that to our 917's to make a Duo Tone look. I have a new 92 Duo Tone and the whole slide is matte, and the barrel and frame are black. It looks like a good job though.

ETA:
Upon closer inspection, it looks like the crayon smudged on the AF in img_5491.

#7 ·
Since no one else has said it let me be the first to welcome you to the site.

#11 · (Edited)
Welcome to the Forum!

1991 was the first year of the Decocker and my PT92, which is a 1992 model, came with a Decocker and fancier checkered Cocobolo Wood Grips, which was standard at the time.

Enjoy your Pistol! You have a very nice Classic PT92!

#14 ·
I picked up the pt92 today. It was clean, but i insisted on putting a little bit of tetra gun grease on the slide. It ran 150 rounds of the cheapest 9mm i had....Remington UMC 115 gr 9mm FMJ in the bulk 250 valupack. If you ever notice these next to other rounds, the UMC Over all length is shorter than other 9mm. Either way, the pistol was flawless in operation, shot very accurately, and when i got home and cleaned it, it was very clean. Im very impressed. Only problem is i ordered 2 mecgar mags for it on gun broker, and one of the mags that came in the mail was for a beretta 92, even though the packaging said taurus..... but thats not the pistols fault :)

BTW, next sunday i will be bringing home a Taurus 24/7 pro 9mm DS w/ stainless slide. I heard both good and bad things about these....i guess i'll find out soon enough.

#19 ·
I picked up the pt92 today. It was clean, but i insisted on putting a little bit of tetra gun grease on the slide. It ran 150 rounds of the cheapest 9mm i had....Remington UMC 115 gr 9mm FMJ in the bulk 250 valupack. If you ever notice these next to other rounds, the UMC Over all length is shorter than other 9mm. Either way, the pistol was flawless in operation, shot very accurately, and when i got home and cleaned it, it was very clean. Im very impressed.
Glad to hear it! Congratulations on a good Range trip with your PT92! My PT92 has been great, too, and I bought it new, back in 1992. Some 23,000 rounds later, it's still serving me well, with some minor maintenance.

BTW, next sunday i will be bringing home a Taurus 24/7 pro 9mm DS w/ stainless slide. I heard both good and bad things about these....i guess i'll find out soon enough.
I just happen to have one of those, too, except mine is Blued. You're probably going to like that one, too! I love 9mm 24/7 Pro! Once you've gotten used to the trigger, you'll enjoy shooting it. Have about 1500 very trouble free rounds thru mine as of this time.

#21 ·
Hi, I bought a pt 92 with L in front of serial numbers. I called taurus and first I called they said it was a incomplete number, the second time they said it was a 1984, could not resist third call said it was a 1994, and none of them could shoot +p. Blued gun with wooden grips,and in the box was rubber grips with manual and a lifetime guarantee slip. Now tarus told me they could not tell me it had a lifetime warranty. Any comments Its a beautiful gun with wear on barrel but barrel does not like blued it is like a soft black

#22 ·
Welcome from Wisconsin.

If the Taurus site "What's my model" try doesn't work then give Taurus Toll Free Customer Service

1 (800) 327-3376 a call and give the Customer Service person your serial number and see what they say.

#24 · (Edited)
Hi, the gun Maximumbob 54 attachment 20223 has is the exact gun I just purchased. In the original box with papers, a paper with lifelong warranty, Any one no the year? Cannot find out from taurus. The box also has rubber grips and the gun was in a funnel bag with parchment paper. I believe to be all original. Thanks I also called Taurus 3 times One said 1984, another one said 1994, and the third call told me the other two could not be right because she has only one way to search, and it does not reveal any thing on search. The three calls were made in responce to an uneasy feeling of what i was being told.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.