Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i just bought a PT-92AF. It is in way better shape than the pics suggest, and the owner said its 21 y/o...which makes it a 1990 model.

The thing is, i dont believe it is as old as the previous owner said it was. The rollmarks look newer than "Maximumbob54"' 's Taurus which looks to be a older model. Here is his pistol: 2011-05-27_13-05-35_534.jpg

This is my pistol: IMG_5485.jpg , IMG_5497.jpg , IMG_5496.jpg IMG_5491.jpg

The roll marks look new (in some pics might look faded or worn, but its just the lighting), it has a decocker which isnt a older feature, right?

Anyways, i cant wait to get my pistol out of 10day jail (here in CA). Besides this, i have a glock 30 subcompact, a glock 31 with a 9mm conversion barrel, 2 AR-15's, A old british enfield No1MK3, and a remington 870 shotgun. My gf has a ROSSI .357/38 2" snubnose revolver which is in the Taurus family.

Please let me know what im looking at! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Put your serial number in here and it should give the year.

Find My Model

·
Super Moderator
40,391 Posts
I beleive the de-cocker was added in 1991. If the serial number search does not work call them they should be able to tell you. Of the 3 Taurus guns I own none of the model numbers come up in the search online, a quick call solved two of them, third one is just to old.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey guys, i just bought a PT-92AF. It is in way better shape than the pics suggest, and the owner said its 21 y/o...which makes it a 1990 model.

The thing is, i dont believe it is as old as the previous owner said it was. The rollmarks look newer than "Maximumbob54"' 's Taurus which looks to be a older model. Here is his pistol: View attachment 20223

This is my pistol: View attachment 20224 , View attachment 20225 , View attachment 20226 View attachment 20227

The roll marks look new (in some pics might look faded or worn, but its just the lighting), it has a decocker which isnt a older feature, right?

Anyways, i cant wait to get my pistol out of 10day jail (here in CA). Besides this, i have a glock 30 subcompact, a glock 31 with a 9mm conversion barrel, 2 AR-15's, A old british enfield No1MK3, and a remington 870 shotgun. My gf has a ROSSI .357/38 2" snubnose revolver which is in the Taurus family.

Please let me know what im looking at! Thanks guys!
According to Taurus, that's a 1986 production year on the first one but I don't Serial Numbers on yours.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Serial #

My serial # is TLD440***. I checked the link montkun posted and it says my Taurus is a 1992 92B model.

I guess that answered my question. Does anyone have one of this guys brothers or sisters?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
My serial # is TLD440***. I checked the link montkun posted and it says my Taurus is a 1992 92B model.

I guess that answered my question. Does anyone have one of this guys brothers or sisters?
Since you say it is a "92B", I'll take a WAG and say that the roll marks have been enhanced because the previous owner had the sides of the slide polished. I don't know the history of the model evolution, but doesn't the 'B' mean blue? I, and many here in another thread, have done that to our 917's to make a Duo Tone look. I have a new 92 Duo Tone and the whole slide is matte, and the barrel and frame are black. It looks like a good job though.

ETA:
Upon closer inspection, it looks like the crayon smudged on the AF in img_5491.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Since no one else has said it let me be the first to welcome you to the site.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
And I'll be the second to say, Hi, and welcome to the forum!

That's a really nice pistol~~great find!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Mine is an older sister from 1990, no decocker, I love it.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Since no one else has said it let me be the first to welcome you to the site.
DOH! I was distracted by the purdy pics... Greetings from Texas. :D

·
Administrator
17,584 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

1991 was the first year of the Decocker and my PT92, which is a 1992 model, came with a Decocker and fancier checkered Cocobolo Wood Grips, which was standard at the time.

Enjoy your Pistol! You have a very nice Classic PT92!

·
Registered
28 Posts
welcome to the site from ky,,my pt-92 is a 1991 and model 92ss and its a great gun,you will love yours,,and they are ver nice guns to shoot, very accurate

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Welcome from Rhode Island to the most informative and friendly gun site on the web. :guns:
Great looking gun. My PT99AFS is my favorite and most accurate pistol.
DSC_0004.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I picked up the pt92 today. It was clean, but i insisted on putting a little bit of tetra gun grease on the slide. It ran 150 rounds of the cheapest 9mm i had....Remington UMC 115 gr 9mm FMJ in the bulk 250 valupack. If you ever notice these next to other rounds, the UMC Over all length is shorter than other 9mm. Either way, the pistol was flawless in operation, shot very accurately, and when i got home and cleaned it, it was very clean. Im very impressed. Only problem is i ordered 2 mecgar mags for it on gun broker, and one of the mags that came in the mail was for a beretta 92, even though the packaging said taurus..... but thats not the pistols fault :)

BTW, next sunday i will be bringing home a Taurus 24/7 pro 9mm DS w/ stainless slide. I heard both good and bad things about these....i guess i'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Welcome to the world of the PT-92. Mine is my S.H.T.F. sidearm, and sits beside my bed at night. It wears a laserlyte.
And Welcome aboard, I'll bet you like it, here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up mine at the local gun show, also PT 92AF, I have only shot 1 mag full, but plan on more when the snow melts!!!!

I want to change the grips, I like white Ivory like grips! all my 1911's have them.

Any idea where I can buy them? a maker, supplyer?

·
Administrator
17,584 Posts
I picked up the pt92 today. It was clean, but i insisted on putting a little bit of tetra gun grease on the slide. It ran 150 rounds of the cheapest 9mm i had....Remington UMC 115 gr 9mm FMJ in the bulk 250 valupack. If you ever notice these next to other rounds, the UMC Over all length is shorter than other 9mm. Either way, the pistol was flawless in operation, shot very accurately, and when i got home and cleaned it, it was very clean. Im very impressed.
Glad to hear it! Congratulations on a good Range trip with your PT92! My PT92 has been great, too, and I bought it new, back in 1992. Some 23,000 rounds later, it's still serving me well, with some minor maintenance.

BTW, next sunday i will be bringing home a Taurus 24/7 pro 9mm DS w/ stainless slide. I heard both good and bad things about these....i guess i'll find out soon enough.
I just happen to have one of those, too, except mine is Blued. You're probably going to like that one, too! I love 9mm 24/7 Pro! Once you've gotten used to the trigger, you'll enjoy shooting it. Have about 1500 very trouble free rounds thru mine as of this time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts