Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading another post about a member buying a gun safe. He made the comment that it would be about the same size as a refrigerator.....which got my cheap butt to thinking. Why not find an old non-working refrigerator or freezer with a locking door and use it for a gun safe to lock guns and ammo in.
Place an open box of baking soda or a few pieces of charcoal in there and it would help control any moisture and/or odor problems.

Yeah, I know, not much in the way of fire protection, but with the locking door it does offer some security from curious searching little hands. It would also offer some what of a camo storage from thiefs looking for valuables (guns, money, jewelry). A used non-working frig/freezer should be able to be picked up for next to nothing.

May not be the best route for a gun safe, but for someone of a steep budget it would be more secure than placing your gun in your sock drawer.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
You know, that's not a half bad idea. I am sure that someone out there is already doing that. I also like the idea of the fridge having a sort of built in camo against thieves!

·
Super Moderator
36,990 Posts
I do seem to remember a certain LA Democrat politician keeping 100 grand in his freezer.

I've never deconstructed one to see what the back consists of. Is it just plastic or is there metal across the back? Even so, some heavy gauge sheet steel could be screwed/welded to strengthen it up.

The "odor eaters" would be a must....you could be shooting at the range and have the guy next to you complain about the onion or cheese smell. :D

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Yeah, I like it. I have an old fridge out in the workshop that I use to keep welding rod in, I just disconnected the light switch and the light stays on all the time keeping my welding rods nice and dry....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
32,144 Posts
I wonder if any of the refrigerators are tall enough in the interior to handle any type of rifle. Maybe some of the old single door fridges, but the ideal thing would be an old Coca Cola machine, of course it would cost more than a safe, and they aren't crowbar safe.

My dad always used an old fridge to keep items in the barn that he didn't want mice to get into.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
How about an upright freezer.....some already have a built in lock.....as was mentioned above.....

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if any of the refrigerators are tall enough in the interior to handle any type of rifle. Maybe some of the old single door fridges, but the ideal thing would be an old Coca Cola machine, of course it would cost more than a safe, and they aren't crowbar safe.

My dad always used an old fridge to keep items in the barn that he didn't want mice to get into.
I wouldn't use an old Coke machine, those things are in demand and bring good prices...I'd be afraid that would be one fo the first things that they might steal. Or maybe I am watching to many "Pawn Stars, Storage Wars" shows.....lol

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Lately I'm thinking deception may be better than hardware. Some 2X4s with sheetrock and a fake wall? Made accessible through a fake electrical panel or something?

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
They are not cheap because they are stainless steel, but upright refrigerators, or freezers for commercial kitchens are larger and tougher than regular home units. I have also used the metal locking gun storage cabinets. Anything that locks is better than nothing and lots of people use old refrigerators or chest type freezers to store welding rods and stuff in. A 40 watt light bulb keeps everything dry. An old friend stored reloading primers and powder in one years ago.

·
Super Moderator
36,990 Posts
Lately I'm thinking deception may be better than hardware. Some 2X4s with sheetrock and a fake wall? Made accessible through a fake electrical panel or something?
There's a business opportunity for a metal shop. Weld up the framework for the hinge pivot and locking mechanism and provide extension frames/bolt on panels to fit the length of the wall that you want to "double up" on. The installer finishes it off with a sheetrock outer skin. Handling the seams would be the only problematic part in order to complete the 'disguise".

·
5,686 Posts
What about the ease of access by just removing the hinge screws that are holding the fridge door on? Simple screw driver and your in. Maybe if you could reinforce those? Otherwise seems like a great idea.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
There's a business opportunity for a metal shop. Weld up the framework for the hinge pivot and locking mechanism and provide extension frames/bolt on panels to fit the length of the wall that you want to "double up" on. The installer finishes it off with a sheetrock outer skin. Handling the seams would be the only problematic part in order to complete the 'disguise".
A full length Mirror. mmmmmm Idea there......

1.1 USA.gif

Reactions: smithlock

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What about the ease of access by just removing the hinge screws that are holding the fridge door on? Simple screw driver and your in. Maybe if you could reinforce those? Otherwise seems like a great idea.
Kind of the whole idea of the freezer/refer is that a thief should think it is only frozen food stored inside. I guess you could do like the wife and I would do when we would go on vacation. Write a little note we would tape to the freezer for the kids
"Go buy your own meat and food, see ya when we get home"
Or you could use Locktite on the screws, or maybe grind down the screw heads.

FWIW: We were not being mean to our kids. We raised cattle so beef was plentiful. But, for some reason I couldn't get it through my daughters head that pork and chicken breast did not come from a cow. She did however know that filet mignon was from a cow and helped herself often.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Years ago we had a break in and most everything was recovered, the thieves had left the loot in an abandoned car that was far enough from the house it couldn't be seen. A deputy found the stash and we carried it all back to the house.
One of the things they took were suitcases they filled with food from the freezer. I thought this was odd but the deputy said it was a normal occurrence as thieves knew that people hid valuables in freezers!!!
Soooo maybe they aren't the camo some may think they are!!!

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guess you could put a note on the door that says
"For Medical Use Only"
"All Blood, Urine, and Stool Samples must remain at a constant 28 Degree temperature and sealed"

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I'm thinking that by the time you modify something which used to hold pop, milk, beer and coldcuts into something that will hold guns safely and securely, you could buy something designed to hold guns safely and securely. Just sayin'.

Reactions: MissKitty

·
5,686 Posts
My thought was anything with a lock on it would be targeted by a thief. I used to watch a TV program that had an ex burglar show home owners all the things wrong with their home security. They'd send the homeowners out to a van with tv monitors to watch and see if the guy could break in. He'd always get in no mater how secure they thought their home was. Then they'd have to sit and watch as he'd destroy their home. One of the first things he did was go through all the kitchen cabinets and the fridge.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
For some reason people think storing your cash in the freezer is an original, brilliant idea. It's not, An experienced burglar will look there.

·
Registered
29,944 Posts
I was reading another post about a member buying a gun safe...which got my cheap butt to thinking. Why not find an old non-working refrigerator with a locking door and use it for a gun safe to lock guns and ammo in....
To keep with Red Neck etiquette...

...it must by placed on the front porch next to the washer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts