Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I carried a Browning Highpower or an all steel 1911 or even a S&W "N" frame with no trouble at all. I had a belt that I hade made for me out of harness leather that worked great. Eventually it gave up the ghost. I bought a "Concealed carry" belt from a holster maker (which one is irrelevant to my point). After a year or so I started leaning to lighter and lighter carry guns. I thought that it was age and numerous injuries here and there catching up to me. I was suffering from what I call "brake pedal syndrome".

If you have ever gone "off schedule" on replacing the brake pads on your car you have probably gotten used to pushing the pedal a little bit harder, gradually it gets a little bit worse but you don't notice. One day you get around to a brake job and pulling away from the shop you hit the pedal for the first time and almost put yourself through the windsheild. You say to yourself "Wow, that's what they are supposed to work like, how did I ever drive this rig the way they were? "

That's the way it was with my "gun belt" It was never all that sturdy in the first place, but I had reasone that it was made by a holster maker so it must be OK. Over a couple of years it had stretched and become quite ...well... "limber". It also had me looking at lighter guns and I didn't understand why.

I had decided that the belt was staring to show its age and one of the snaps that retain the buckle went bad so I ordered an expensive replacement from another maker on the suggestion from the very good gun counter guy at my LGS. I figured I'd fix the old belt and use it for everyday and reserve the new one for "go to town/ semi-dress" days.

I have now learned a lesson. For a week now I have been able to carry my Kimber TLE 10mm, which is a full size 1911 with the same amount of ease and comfort as I used to carry a full sized handgun in my "younger" days. After all of my preaching to "newbies" about the need for a good belt, I had been lulled into false sense of my own situation because my old belt was supposidly designed for CC. I have no doubt that the old belt WOULD have held up if my taste in CCW guns went to 25 ounce or less featherweights, but that didn't match my needs. I had unconsciously modified my choices to meet the limitation of my belt and blamed other reasons for it.

I hope this lesson will pay off for others. Give a good gun and a good holster the benefit of a good belt before you scale down and compromise on either one

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
I wear a cheap (~$20-40) brown leather belt which has stretched as you mention. But I ALWAYS wear suspenders (yep, they can be maneuvered under, over or around or even through any clothing item I wear) and don't suffer "gun sag".

Reactions: Denton

·
Administrator
35,161 Posts
Great post ! A good gun belt makes a world of difference in how your carry weapon rides and how comfortably you can carry any size gun. You can get one as inexpensive as $20 or so, and they go up pretty high if you can afford that (which I can't). Get a gun belt and carry in confidence !

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Hi, My name is Mark...and .... I umm... have a cheap belt problem. :D

Actually, I have a good belt. What I really have is a big belly problem. My belt would slowly fall down even if it was made of Helium.

I might have to get some sort of custom made shoulder/suspender/cross carry belt.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm partial to the Volund Gearworks Atlas belt and the Super Bio Belt from Daltech Force.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I think I'll get serious about replacing my belt -- had it 3 years. So you're right -- it's got to be stretched and limbered up by now. :confused:

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'll get serious about replacing my belt -- had it 3 years. So you're right -- it's got to be stretched and limbered up by now. :confused:
Depends on the belt and material . Jut like brake pads.

Unfortunately now my favorite Milt Spark's IWB holster will have to go back to be refit with hardware for a 1 3/4" belt

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
I'm waiting to get a Velcro implant on the right sight of my torso.... Then I'll put Velcro (opposing type) on the outside of my new Curve!

Belt... We don't need no stinking belt.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Oh.. I guess I should say, until I get the Velcro torso implant, I use an Akers holster belt purchased through NRA

Akers makes a good belt for holster use

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I've been wearing my Galco belt everyday while I belt carry for almost 5 years now and it has held up really well for a $30 belt.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Yup, gotta have a good belt. The 5.11 Trainer works well for me.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
For years I carried a Browning Highpower or an all steel 1911 or even a S&W "N" frame with no trouble at all. I had a belt that I hade made for me out of harness leather that worked great. Eventually it gave up the ghost. I bought a "Concealed carry" belt from a holster maker (which one is irrelevant to my point). After a year or so I started leaning to lighter and lighter carry guns. I thought that it was age and numerous injuries here and there catching up to me. I was suffering from what I call "brake pedal syndrome".

If you have ever gone "off schedule" on replacing the brake pads on your car you have probably gotten used to pushing the pedal a little bit harder, gradually it gets a little bit worse but you don't notice. One day you get around to a brake job and pulling away from the shop you hit the pedal for the first time and almost put yourself through the windsheild. You say to yourself "Wow, that's what they are supposed to work like, how did I ever drive this rig the way they were? "

That's the way it was with my "gun belt" It was never all that sturdy in the first place, but I had reasone that it was made by a holster maker so it must be OK. Over a couple of years it had stretched and become quite ...well... "limber". It also had me looking at lighter guns and I didn't understand why.

I had decided that the belt was staring to show its age and one of the snaps that retain the buckle went bad so I ordered an expensive replacement from another maker on the suggestion from the very good gun counter guy at my LGS. I figured I'd fix the old belt and use it for everyday and reserve the new one for "go to town/ semi-dress" days.

I have now learned a lesson. For a week now I have been able to carry my Kimber TLE 10mm, which is a full size 1911 with the same amount of ease and comfort as I used to carry a full sized handgun in my "younger" days. After all of my preaching to "newbies" about the need for a good belt, I had been lulled into false sense of my own situation because my old belt was supposidly designed for CC. I have no doubt that the old belt WOULD have held up if my taste in CCW guns went to 25 ounce or less featherweights, but that didn't match my needs. I had unconsciously modified my choices to meet the limitation of my belt and blamed other reasons for it.

I hope this lesson will pay off for others. Give a good gun and a good holster the benefit of a good belt before you scale down and compromise on either one
I am in the market for a gun belt. Would you mind sharing which brand you just bought?

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,808 Posts
OK here's a gun belt, If it don't stand alone like the pic your gun will sag. This one is about 5 years old.
View attachment 101797
When I was a teenager, I had blue jeans that would do that after a day of haying in the summer.

That's the kind of belt I have now. It really does make a difference.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am in the market for a gun belt. Would you mind sharing which brand you just bought?
I ended up with a Galco. It wasn't their cheapest model at about $80 list.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Scout, We have the same problem. To go with that I inherited the no butt gene.

All those kids with their pants on the ground, I've been doing that for 40 years.
"pants on the ground" is the one and only rap "song" I've ever thought was worth listedning to. I guess because it makes sense and talks to the numbskulls that listen to that crap in their own language. Don't get me started.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts