Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I picked up my 990 Mon, got to shoot it yesterday a.m. I hear people here talking about the Taurus lottery, ie, if you'll get a good one when buying a new Turus, and I pulled out a winner.

I checked the cylinder gap before I headed out, it measured .005 accross all 9, a little looser than some like it but I tend to shoot a lot when I get to go to the range, especially when I take a .22. In fact, the wife usually looks at me funny if I come back with any leftover ammo. After 300+ rounds of assorted ammo, including 99 of some very dirty shooting Remington subsonics, I had none of the cylinder binding issues I've heard about. As an added bonus, I only had three misfires out of the Rem. subs, so they must have ramped up the QC a bit. ;)

The gun was very accurate, 20 yards was all I had to play with, but I could keep all the shots in a 3 inch group, DA, and 1 inch SA. I expect she's good for better than this, but I've been away from revolvers for a bit and am getting back up to speed. I might need to adjust the sights a bit for windage, but I tried such a mixed bag I'm gonna wait and see.

Issues? Well, only 2 and minor at that. The chambers do seem to be a bit tight, but all the rounds went in ok. However, they all popped out fine with the exception of CCI Mini-Mags. What I thought was odd was that Stingers popped out just fine. That and the grips. I like the ribbers on my Judge, they go along way in soaking up the recoil, but aren't really needed on a .22. I plan on replacing them with the Hogue as soon as I can. I really wish someone made some nice affordable wood grips. I looked at the ones from NIL, but the ones I like are almost $180. :eek: I like this gun enough that they may be an option in the future.

That's about all, just wanted to share my good luck with everyone. Hopefully this helped anyone looking at buying one of these, I wish I had done so earlier now. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Always nice the read about a happy shooter. I've got one of the sale 970s on order and hope to post a similar range experience. I'll be reporting on 15, 25, and 50 yard groups with various ammo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
revolver fan1 said:
How did you measure that? with what tool? I see people always masureing guns, I would like too.
a feeler guage works well, you can pick them up in automotive parts stores.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Great to hear about your 990. Mine too, has been flawless through thousands of rounds.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congrats on your new Taurus!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Congrats on the pistol. IMHO everyone needs a few .22LR handguns, revolver and semi-auto. Not only are they great fun they are terrific training aids.

Nothing beats being able to shoot for an hour and only invest $20 in ammo - lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
revolverfan1-Check out the sticky at the top of the revolver section, it gives a very thorough description of how to fully check out a revolver. Just slip the feeler gauge between the front of the cylinder and the forcing cone. Start with a .002 one, and go up in size until they won't slide in. I repeat, they should just slide in, without being forced. Generally,between .002-.004 is considered ideal. At .002 you'll get less rounds through it before you have to clean the front of the cylinder/forcing cone. Too large and you'll start losing velocity. At .005, mine a hair large but not bad, and like I said, I like to shoot my .22s a LOT. Too small and you'll have issues with the cylinder binding. FWIW, Taurus considers a cylinder gap of up to .007 to still be "in spec".

·
Registered
648 Posts
This is great information. My new 970 has a gap of about .002 so this expains why it gets difficult to shoot DA after a 50 or so rounds.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was surpised to see this thread pop up again, so I thought I'd add, for the benefit of those who haven't seen my other post on my 990, that unfortunately, she's developed timing issues and had to go back home to Miami. Such is life, I'm not upset, I knew this could be an issue with this model. I'm hoping I get the same one back, as I really like the cylinder gap being .005, since it lets me shoot a lot at the range.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts