Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Not to sound unsympathetic, but why they heck would you shoot that kind of ammo out of a what was a beautiful firearm? I didn't think it was even recommended for normal smokeless powder firearms?

Personally I never thought about Taurus lifetime warranty covering something like a guns finish coming off (especially shooting black powder loads), I had just assumed it was for mechanical repairs or replacement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
- If Taurus told me right off the bat it was my fault and they would not fix it, that would have been fine.

- If Taurus said the bluing is only covered for the first year of their "Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy" and that they would fix it for a fee, that would have been fine too.

- But Taurus had my gun for 4 months sending it back to me twice and lied to me multiple times saying they were fixing, and they never did.

- The gunsmith went so far as to lie about what he'd done, writing that he adjusted the non-adjustable fixed front site. WTF?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Namerakis, please PM me and lets talk.

Todd

·
Registered
29 Posts
Namerakis said:
- But Taurus had my gun for 4 months sending it back to me twice and lied to me multiple times saying they were fixing, and they never did.
So does it shoot after your little experiment? If 'yes' then they must have fixed it. If 'no', then they lied.

All it really needs is a new finish. But then again, DRAEGER is probably right.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
First off ... welcome to the site!

I understand your frustration. However, this is not the place to take up your ongoing complaint.

Unfortunately, this happens more than it should, with more than just Taurus I'm sure. If you feel that you must complain about it, please continue to do so in a civil manner. It is policy of the site to allow negative feedback, however chronic bashing will not be tolerated.

I have moved this to a more proper location.

Please do not let me find that you have posted this all over this website either. Now that you've directly been asked not to do so, that will result in administrative action.

·
6,541 Posts
As far as the problem ... I am going to have to agree with the others ... I think this whole problem might be self inflicted.

You must also understand that this Nadene, could be just a mouthpiece for the CS dept. Maybe you should call back and ask to speak with a manager. If not content with the results of that, ask for their supervisor. This is what I would have done in the first place.

·
6,541 Posts
After re-reading some of your linked page, it looks like the smith that worked on the pistol chauked this up to a cleaning issue. If that's a mistake, then that's his bad, if it's a cleaning issue, then that's your bad.

I have a feeling the majority on this website will not have much sympathy for you. I do feel that there is a communication error on behalf of Nadine and the smith's who actually perform the work. I do not feel that this error warrants publicly bashing them on every available revenue.

I wish you luck on finding a positive result. Please let me know if you think I can be of any assistance.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Namerakis said:
- If Taurus said the bluing is only covered for the first year of their "Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy" and that they would fix it for a fee, that would have been fine too.
Our Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy extends to all Taurus firearms imported or manufactured by Taurus International Manufacturing, Inc.

Last paragraph of Taurus warranty.

"This warranty does not cover grips, sights, accessories, cosmetic defects after one year, or damage caused by customer abuse at any time. Taurus will not be responsible for these items."

Your point may be valid and your dissatisfaction may be true, but no company is perfect. I've seen flaws and complaints from even the most well respected manufactures ranging from Colt, Smith & Wesson, Kimber, Springfield Armory to Glock.

I also believe that Taurus may well be a victim of their own success. One of the main factors (aside from comfort, style and functionality) that lure potential buyers to a Taurus product is the unconditional lifetime warranty (it is mighty attractive). How many firearms do you think pass by the Taurus service departments per day?

Again, I know that's not your problem. I just think that we sometimes expect water to turn into wine over night. May you find the solution to your dilemma and fetch a fair price for your firearm.

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The gun is 3 years old and I bought it brand new.

I have been shooting guns for over 20 years.

I shot black powder cartridges through the gun, because I was considering buying my retired father a civil war replica that fired cartridges and wanted to see what black power cartridges would be like. (In the end I bought him a true muzzle-loader 1851 Colt Navy Replica instead)

Black powder is very corrosive. (More so than I realized)
I regularly shoot rounds with corrosive primers through my Remington 30-06 with no problems but I guess black powder is much different.

They say to clean the gun right away. I took that to mean as soon as you get home, but it apparently means IMMEDIATLY after firing the gun.

When I got home a couple hours later and cleaned the gun with warm SOAP & WATER the bluing washed off like lipstick. I later lubed it up with some Break-Free, but the damage was already done.

I did ask multiple reps at Taurus to let me speak to a manager, supervisor or gunsmith and was denied every single time. They told me they would fix it MULTIPLE TIMES and they never did. How can that ever be justified.

Is it my fault for not cleaning it sooner? Yes.

Does that mean I deserved to be dicked around and lied to by Taurus for 4 months? Hell no!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Does that mean I deserved to be dicked around and lied to by Taurus for 4 months? Hell no!
You are right! They should have told you right from the get- go that you're a bonehead!

·
Registered
790 Posts
You made a mistake by shooting black powder cartridges. You have nobody to blame but yourself. A 20 year experienced shooter should have known better. It's that simple.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Namerakis said:
The gun is 3 years old and I bought it brand new.
There you go, the warranty on the finish had already expired.

Black powder is very corrosive. (More so than I realized)
admission to negligence.

When I got home a couple hours later and cleaned the gun with warm SOAP & WATER the bluing washed off like lipstick. I later lubed it up with some Break-Free, but the damage was already done.
Forgive me if I sound ignorant, I have not been shooting for 20 years. I am quite new to firearms (over a year). Isn't it true that water is not the proper solution in which to clean a metal firearm?

I did ask multiple reps at Taurus to let me speak to a manager, supervisor or gunsmith and was denied every single time. They told me they would fix it MULTIPLE TIMES and they never did. How can that ever be justified.

Is it my fault for not cleaning it sooner? Yes.

Fixing would indicate something was damaged. Looking over your first invoice, they seemed to have made adjustments.

Does your weapon fire? Does it perform it's duty? Aside from the finish, is there any part that is defective?

Not only is it your fault for not cleaning it sooner, but it is your fault for using black powder on a weapon that seems to be not made for it.

And no, nobody deserves to be dicked around for four months.

Quick analogy, I owned a VW years ago. Everyone told me that it was a great little car and I will never have a problem with it. Well, to make a long story short. It was the car from hell, It was a real nightmare for me. Owning another VW may never be in the cards for me. Since then I have stuck with Chevy's and couldn't be happier.

Bottom line, you will not change the mind of the die-hard fanboy of any product. No matter how much you may dislike it's service or product. Add the fact that you seem to be angry at a problem you may have brought upon yourself. Please do not take this as hostile. I am simply giving my thought on a topic you saw fit to bring onto this forum. We could have just ignored it, but we did take the time to hear out your rant and respectfully try to discuss it with you.

This forum will be a bit bias and lean more in favor of Taurus. This isn't the "I Hate Taurus forums". Does it mean they make no mistakes, of course not. But as I mentioned in my previous response. All companies will have issues when it comes to customer service.

Honestly, I would rather have had your problem then suffer a real problem with a firearm who's safety when engaged, fired the weapon (Remmington).

Again, good luck on the sale of you 605b

Mike

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
That sucks… :( this is why I stick with stainless guns.

I wouldn’t be very happy if I had to wait 4 months for nothing either, so I understand your frustration...

btw did it say you can shoot that ammo in smokeless powder gun? I just sounds like a bad idea.

·
Registered
93 Posts
schlemer said:
Forgive me if I sound ignorant, I have not been shooting for 20 years. I am quite new to firearms (over a year). Isn't it true that water is not the proper solution in which to clean a metal firearm?
Warm water is the correct solution for cleaning up behind black powder and has been for at least a hundred years. Also, black powder does not melt off blueing. If the blueing did come off "like lipstick" when wiped with water, something was wrong with that guns finish. I suspect that some rust remover got thrown on that gun by accident durimg cleaning. If not, I can't imagine what happened.

·
Registered
173 Posts
powerkicker said:
Warm water is the correct solution for cleaning up behind black powder and has been for at least a hundred years. Also, black powder does not melt off blueing. If the blueing did come off "like lipstick" when wiped with water, something was wrong with that guns finish. I suspect that some rust remover got thrown on that gun by accident durimg cleaning. If not, I can't imagine what happened.
Powerkicker, the water thing didn't sound right to me. You cleared things up and I learned something new.

Thank You,
Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
powerkicker said:
Warm water is the correct solution for cleaning up behind black powder and has been for at least a hundred years. Also, black powder does not melt off bluing. If the bluing did come off "like lipstick" when wiped with water, something was wrong with that guns finish. I suspect that some rust remover got thrown on that gun by accident durimg cleaning. If not, I can't imagine what happened.
When I got home I filled up my bathroom sink with warm water, added a few squirts of hand soap and then poured in a bit of vinegar and then lowered the gun into the water and started rubbing it with my bare fingers. The water turned jet black and when I raised the gun from the water it looked like it does in the pics I took.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I am still shocked and amazed at what happened to your pistol and I didn't mean to sound like I was coming down on you for using black powder in your firearm, we all have done dumb things before... ;)

In all my years of gunsmithing (Colorado School Of Trades 1979) I have never seen something like that happen from plan soap and water. You mention adding vinegar, which I have never done to any of my old Blackpowder guns. I know that the powder in the ammo you used is not really Black Powder, but a synthetic powder made to act like black powder, which may have had some ill effects, I don't know.

As for Taurus, I would say you are one of the rare-odd cases that fell through the cracks. In my experience with firearms and makers over the past 30 years or so, Taurus makes some of the finest firearms anywhere in the world (I own 7 of their arms currently).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
By the way, I printed out my entire document from that link and faxed it to Taurus's fax number once Tuesday and once today.

Despite what I said before, I think I may actually call them tomorrow morning just to see what they say. Maybe demand that I be allowed to speak to someone higher than these reps who have lied to me for months and months.

I can't help but wonder though if they'll just say the same thing again.... "Sorry sir, that was a mistake, we WILL fix it, pack it back up and we'll have FedEx pick it up again and fix it for sure this time! Ha! We'll see.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.