Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a couple of days off due to the passing of my Mother-in-Law and I went to my LGS and bought
me a budget AK-74 - the Century Arms Tantal. The action seems to be smooth, sights look like they
lined up properly and the finish is decent. I'm just worried about one thing, some of the Tantals have
keyholing issues due to a barrel swap done after import. For $ 450.00 I figured it was worth taking a
chance and seeing what happens. The folding stock locks in place properly and the safeties are in
good working order. Do any of you have experience with this model and if keyholing issues occur,
would ammunition selection help out there? It will be next weekend at the earliest before I can take
it to the range and give it a trial run. I do wish the barrel was chrome lined.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I have one, the newer ones are decent but some had issues with keyholing they didn't have the proper barrels. At 100 yards with surplus ammo mine makes clean holes though. There's alot of different information about what serial numbers keyhole but you'll wanna get it out and check anyhow. I believe any number with a YO3000 or higher is ok or so I've heard. Take the muzzle break off and put a bullet into the muzzle to see how deep it goes in. If it goes in all the way up to the case, from what I understand anyhow, that's not a good sign. I know if you have one with a 1:8 twist though your golden, mine is a 1:9 though so I bet if I ran heavier ammo it might keyhole I dunno. Email century arms and they can tell you what twist rate your rifle has. But yeah other then them putting in screwy barrels at least acouple years ago these tantals are very well made. Let us know how it goes man. The biggest issue I have with mine is it's such a short stock on the rifle I ordered a IZ340 Saiga 5.45 I'm going to convert and I'll prolly sell my tantal in the future. Debating keeping it in case dear leader gets reelected.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I just purchased a Bulgarian model and love it. I have fired around 400 rds thru it with the only problem being keyholing with the heavier Silver bear ammo which is 60gr. The milsurp ammo is 52-53 gr and it shoots very good. No light primer strikes or FTE issues. It only keyholed beyond 60 yds. However, I was still able to keep it on a 11"x14" target and I am not going for sub-MOA groups with it. Plus, if used for SHTF situations, I see no problems with the whole keyholing issue. Wish it didnt but not a "must sell" problem. Century is like Taurus, early problems can carry on for a long time.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I just purchased a Bulgarian model and love it. I have fired around 400 rds thru it with the only problem being keyholing with the heavier Silver bear ammo which is 60gr. The milsurp ammo is 52-53 gr and it shoots very good. No light primer strikes or FTE issues. It only keyholed beyond 60 yds. However, I was still able to keep it on a 11"x14" target and I am not going for sub-MOA groups with it. Plus, if used for SHTF situations, I see no problems with the whole keyholing issue. Wish it didnt but not a "must sell" problem. Century is like Taurus, early problems can carry on for a long time.
Yeah pretty much, I've heard the old WASR's were... junk,... but Century has improved them alot. I know Century is making their own milled rifle, brand new, but it doesn't seem to be selling well prolly cause alot of people are leary of the name. Me I mean I've had two century AK's now and both worked but had issues. Now I saw this Century AK on J&G that caught my eye CAI Yugo Zastava AKM-47 PAP rifle, 7.62x39 caliber, with black polymer stock. looks like it's built on an RPK receiver and it seems to be a Yugo Zastava they converted to take AK furnature and mags so I'd bet it's actually a pretty decent rifle. I actually DON'T like the dust cover scope mount I don't think its attached to the site it basically clips in and it doesn't seem like it would hold zero very well. I'd honestly change that right out, I've heard nothing but bad things about dust cover rails unless they are secured somehow to the site, or if their like a dogleg that attaches to the rear trunion. Now that I've totally taken this thread off topic, ya basically century has some great rifles and some that are hit and miss. I have a century PSL54c, made in romania. It's not a parts kit gun and it's my pride and joy the thing is just beautiful. I also want a Draco pistol to do an SBR in the future and that's a century gun also.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. The keyholing issue is primarily confined to the earlier versions that
Century Arms imported from what I understand now. As far as a parts kit and other accessories,
do you have any suggestions? I am thinking about replacing the wire stock with a sturdier
folding stock and maybe I'll put some night sights on it. I'm geeked about shooting it for the
first time and seeing for myself why people love those evil semiauto rifles! I'll be using 52 grain
ammunition the first time out but I'd like to try 60 grain and heavier and see what works best.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The current CAI's Romanian WASR and Yugo Zastava are manufactured at the true AK factories from the originated countries and imported by CAI. From the reviews, their quality are a bit better or more consistance than those earlier CAI contractor kit built models such as the Tantal and the Bulgarian AK74. However, the latest tantal and the Bulgarian M74 seem to have better reviews than the eailier models.
I have a Bulgarian AK74 date-coded September 2009 that would somtimes produce elongated holes with Silver Bear 60gr at <20yds when the barrel gets hot; but, made round holes >50yds with acceptable accuracy. I don't see there is any problem. If it is a true keyhole senario, the problem will be worsen at longer ranges and accuracy/grouping will be terrible.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I actually went to look at/maybe buy one yesterday. They did not have any. Local store has them for $389 and I have seen them for less during a sale. I may get one when they are back in stock.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Well, the Tantal is supposed to be one of the best AK variants you can get your hands on. And the price these days makes it even more desirable. My local Dunham's always seems to have them on sale. I didn't like the way the stock fit, so I didn't buy one. However, at the prices that are coming out these days, I think that I could learn to live with it!

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
The biggest problem I have with century is that their warrenty is a year from when the gun left the factory, not when you buy it so you can get a gun that's been on the shelf for 13 months and if you have an issue your SOL. Pretty much anything from them I like to look at first before buying it and pretty much consider it a you buy it as is proposition ya know. That alone has made me leary of their rifles.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Thanks for the input. The keyholing issue is primarily confined to the earlier versions that
Century Arms imported from what I understand now. As far as a parts kit and other accessories,
do you have any suggestions? I am thinking about replacing the wire stock with a sturdier
folding stock and maybe I'll put some night sights on it. I'm geeked about shooting it for the
first time and seeing for myself why people love those evil semiauto rifles! I'll be using 52 grain
ammunition the first time out but I'd like to try 60 grain and heavier and see what works best.
There is a fairly recent thread about AK furniture and stocks. I like the ACE folding stock they offer. Like the looks and it is well designed. The reason a lot of people like these rifles is simple. They go BOOM when they are supposed to. Mine has been very reliable and I know of few people who have issues.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had my first range session this past Saturday afternoon after work. I fired 120 rounds with my
Tanatal and after a few misfeeds and some new shooter teething problems (this is my first semiauto
battle type rifle) things went well. It shoots tight groups and there was no keyholing. The Tanatal
did shoot to the left a bit which could be operator error (I was shooting freehanded) or a sight
allignment problem. The bench rest will tell the tale, I'll bring it the next time I shoot it. The trigger
pull was crisp and smooth and the recoil was light. There was a bit of muzzle jump I'll have to learn
to tame during rapid fire shooting. I am satisfied so far and can't wait for the next session which
should go a little smoother.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts