Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and three of my friends went out and did a little shooting yesterday. We spent about four hours
shredding paper and I finally got to try out my two latest aquisitions, the Sauer Texas Marshall .44
Magnum six shooter and the Rock Island 1911. They shot great but I'll give more details about that
later.

I finally got a chance to shoot some rifles I'd been wanting to try our for a long time now. I got to
shoot the Colt AR-15, the Mini-14 and a Springfield 1903. I was really impressed by all three of them
but my favorite was the Mini-14. It has moved to the top of my got to have rifle list. (provided it doesn't
get banned) I really had a great time and my friends were all impressed with the Raging Bull .44 Magnum.
After we finished up at the old family farm, we all went out to dinner and called it a night. The only black
cloud over the whole day was that I didn't get to shoot a M-1 Garand one of my friends had. (a round got
lodged in the chamber and we couldn't get that problem solved) All in all, it was a great day and the
weather was beautiful.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Sounds like the four of you had a great time and shot $1,000 worth of Ammo (by today's inflated prices). However, I'm sure the four of you must have impressive ammo larders to do that much shooting. I used to shoot for four hours, but three of those hours were all .22 rimfire. With today's absence of .22 on the shelves, I have become much more judicial even on the amount of .22 I shoot.

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
I remember the days of me and the kids out shooting for 3-4 hours. We would easily shoot 550+ rounds of .22lr and many misc. center fire rounds. Not any more, or at least until the .22lr comes available again.

Glad you had a great time. Sorry about the M1, I would love to shoot one as well.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Sounds like a great day. Like the others have said, with the ammo situatuon the way it is, I've been cutting way back.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I was fine as far as pistol ammunition. My friends had stocked up before the ban and had plenty
of .223 and 30.06 is still available. I left the AKs at home, I told my friends that I hadn't stocked up
and if and when things settle down, we will take them out and have at it again. We did shoot up a lot
of my .45 ACP though.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
The mini-14 is on my short list as well!
Got to spend some time with my buddy's M1 Garand a while back. Tons of fun (and if you've ever hefted one, you'd know that's a pretty apt description)!
My dad said a high point of his service in Korea was when he got assigned to medic duty, and turned in his Garand for the carbine. It makes you think about how rugged the Greatest Generation was, when the average size of the soldier back then was about what I am (5'8"/160), and they had to schlep that beast all across Europe.

Pic from our session a few years back (range is just south of Justin on 35, temp was about 106 that day)...

Shooting sport Shooting Recreation Sport venue Shooting range

Reactions: ncfarmer

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
NCfarmer - Sounds like a good time to me. I also love to shoot my Mini-14 and bought mine during the first AWB. Since it shipped with a 5-round mag, it was still legal. I would also like to get a Mini-30 in .308.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
NCfarmer - Sounds like a good time to me. I also love to shoot my Mini-14 and bought mine during the first AWB. Since it shipped with a 5-round mag, it was still legal. I would also like to get a Mini-30 in .308.
They make a mini-30 in .308?
I knew they made one in .30-Commie (7.62x39), but didn't know about the other one.
Bet that little puppy would knock your shoulder outta joint!

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
How many rounds you put through the '03? That one usually bruises my shoulder.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only put ten rounds through the 1903 Springfield. It was very well balanced and it did have
a little kick to it, but it was moderate compared to that Mossberg 500 I bought not too long
ago. (almost every rifle I've tried doesn't have much recoil compared to that with Police buckshot
loads)

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Too bad you didn't get to shoot the Garand. I love mine and it is a blast to shoot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts