Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am moderately experienced with firearms, and I am new to carrying. Safety is most important to me so; while I am waiting on my license I am thinking through my daily activities to see what might have to change. I have a 2.5 year old and an 11 month old. My wife an I feel that neither child should know that I am carrying, I don't want them reaching for it ect. So I intend to wear my 24/7 G2 .45 Compact inside the waist band in my hidden hybrid holster, here are a few pictures of me carrying.
IMAG0687.jpg IMAG0688.jpg

When my wife an I are together, I will let her carry the baby, but when I go out alone I want to carry and wear the 11 month old. Here is a picture of me carrying the baby on my back with my favorite carrier.
11015861_10152901506944807_8053658085772766974_n.jpg

So here is the plan: I have done a bit of googleing, and I got a few other opinions. Next I think I will try putting on the carrier with no baby, and my pistol unloaded, to see how the two fit and see how the draw would work.

So, here is my question (finally) Has anyone else worn their baby while carrying? What issues can anyone see from carrying and wearing? Are their any other carry methods that I should be considering? Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
From the pictures it looks like the baby's foot may be in the way while you are trying to draw from the 3 o'clock position. You may find appendix carry a bit more suitable for carrying while also wearing the baby carrier.

·
Registered
21,111 Posts
Wearing your baby... interesting wording

·
22,284 Posts
I find the draw extremely difficult with those backpacks. When I need to quick-draw a baby, I prefer a center of the chest rig. :cool:

Seriously though, I agree with dadillac. It looks like the baby might end up using the end of the slide as a footrest with 3:00 carry.

Have you considered a TCP in that right cargo pocket?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find the draw extremely difficult with those backpacks. When I need to quick-draw a baby, I prefer a center of the chest rig. :cool:

Seriously though, I agree with dadillac. It looks like the baby might end up using the end of the slide as a footrest with 3:00 carry.

Have you considered a TCP in that right cargo pocket?
That is a good point, I can also carry my baby on the front, but I don't think I want to shoot at anybody with a baby on my front in case they want to shoot back. I could... carry the kid on my front and my .45 on my back at the 9:00.

I am also worried that the carrier will either sit on my pistol grip or push on my shirt and print my gun.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
You know, I have never worn one of those carriers, but I can say this: thank God for the diaper bag! I'm not a big fan of off body carry, but there are times (as long as the diaper bag stays connected to you) where carrying in the diaper bag is a huge help. Try it with that carrier and see how it works. My daughter is 3 and potty training so I still carry the diaper bag. I found a dedicated, paded, interior pocket that stores my gun perfectly, so give it a try.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Good that you are thinking ahead on this. Just make sure that trigger is covered well. Kids can be grabby/clingy and not realize what they are grabbing. I like the idea of pocket carry and do it daily with a TCP in a pocket holster. If I had young kids I would consider one of the Kydex trigger covers for added trigger protection.

·
Super Moderator
35,064 Posts
I pocket carry whenever I have pants on. If I belt carry, my pocket gun becomes a BUG. I pocket a M85SSUL revolver, usually, but do have other choices like a Kel Tec P11. All doable with the right pants. Wrangler Cargoes are my favorite. Dockers work well, or any brand of carpenter's jeans.

Reactions: treg

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
While using a baby carrier I would look into appendix carry or a smaller handgun for pocket carry...
im sure you'll figure out something.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still have to see where baby's feet are going to go but here is me in the carrier with the gun. Am I printing too bad? IMAG0780.jpg

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
I never used a carrier like that for my daughter, shes 10 now, but I do carry when wearing a backpack, specifically a big hiking/camping one I wear when we hike to our camp spot. It never gave me an issue, I carry cross draw.

If you are worried, I'd go with a small pocket firearm. I have a Keltec P32 that is ridiculously small and fits in just about any pants pocket.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I still have to see where baby's feet are going to go but here is me in the carrier with the gun. Am I printing too bad? View attachment 112662

Are you talking about your gut or the gun? :D

Honestly, no one really pays that much attention to us. You could probably open carry and the 1st thing they will see is the baby, then you, then your gun. I would practice with an empty gun and baby to see how it works. From the picture i'm not sure how you would draw it?

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
The only reason I entered this thread is to find out exactly how you can "wear" a baby.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Are you talking about your gut or the gun? :D

Honestly, no one really pays that much attention to us. You could probably open carry and the 1st thing they will see is the baby, then you, then your gun. I would practice with an empty gun and baby to see how it works. From the picture i'm not sure how you would draw it?
How do you down load the baby?:shocked::D:D:D

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Appropriate AIWB would be worth looking into. A good holster should make the 24/7 G2 Compact comfortable, otherwise it'd be a good excuse to move down on caliber with a new gun.
I sometimes AIWB my TCP but it definitely took me awhile to feel comfortable with that on a gun without any manual safeties. But I'm content in knowing it's not a pre-cocked design, and holstering away from the waistband is a given.

·
Super Moderator
35,064 Posts
Have you considered going the opposite route and open carrying with a concealed baby?
He's in Florida. I doubt they'd let him share a jail cell with the baby.

Reactions: mmarbut

·
Super Moderator
26,962 Posts
Personally......I would not carry while toting the baby.
If by some slim chance, an event were to happen, by drawing a gun you make yourself a target....AND the baby. By carrying the baby, against a bad guy that does not use jhp's or the like the baby will end up dead.
You will probably be dead as well, so no worries for you...but the rest of the family?????

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Super Moderator
35,064 Posts
I'd carry. He might try to rob you with a knife. That happened to me, once, and I just showed the idiot the muzzle of my .25ACP. For some reason, he ran off. :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts