Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I want to say "Hi!" you have a nice forum here with a lot of good info.

Here's the deal. I am really wanting to get a 24/7. My plan is to trade in my old PT 92 and pay the difference. I plan on getting it in 40 S&W unless they make the .45 ACP with the rubber grip. Which I don't think they do, at least not according to the Taurus website. Am I wrong? I stopped at my local gun shop and fondled the 24/7. I loooooove the feel of it. Love the size. Love the look. Love the features. I especially love the price.

Here's my dilemma. I really did not like the magazine eject. In fact, that was one of the two things that stopped me from walking home with the gun. The release button seems pretty hard to push (especially compared to my 92 9mm) and the magazine barely ejects. Is this common with this gun and/or caliber? I tried the 9mm version and the mag popped out like it was a rocket. The release button was stiff, but at least I didn't have to pull the mag out. Which tends me to believe that it is that caliber. The gun shop owner told me it was just packing grease that was slowing it down. What would cause the button to be so stiff? Is this something that just takes breaking in? Would I have to take it to a gunsmith and have it tweaked?

By the way, the second thing that stopped me was that they had no SA/DA models there.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Welcome from Missouri !! I have the 9mm pro and have had no problems with the mags.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I own a 24/7 pro 9mm and have not had any issues. I have handled the .40 and the .45 and didn't notice anything wrong with the magazine release. The shop owner might be right about the grease cause taurus really does pack it in there. I would ask the owner if he would be willing to clean it out and see if that was the problem. If not I would probably order a new one or go to a different shop.
The 24/7 are great guns and I would recommend them to anyone. I would make sure you just got a good one right out of the box.
Good luck and congrats on hopefully a great purchase.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The reason I bought the 40 over the 45 was the grips. I think that is a big plus on this gun. They feel very comfortable in my hand. I have not had any real issues with the mag release or anything else for that matter. I had a few ftfs when I first got it (4 or 5) but that is about it. I now have about 2500 rounds through it.
Harry

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I've seen a lot about FTF on this gun. This causes me some concern, but the upside seems to be that Taurus is willing to make it right. If I do get one, it will be my primary weapon, both CCW and bedside.

Weaponize said:
The shop owner might be right about the grease cause taurus really does pack it in there. I would ask the owner if he would be willing to clean it out and see if that was the problem. If not I would probably order a new one or go to a different shop.
The only thing about the grease, is that I didn't notice any on the magazine. Granted, I am no gun expert by any stretch of the imagination. So, maybe I just overlooked it.

I'd still like to hear more about the mag release and whether or not you folks think that the release button is too stiff.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about my friend. And if my experience means anything, DON'T LET THIS KEEP YOU FROM BUYING THIS GUN. I've recently bought a 24/7 in .40, and when I first got it I noticed the same things you are talking about. But after using it a few times at the range with the mag in and out, the release button has loosened up a bit but it is still firm enough to keep from accidentally dropping the mag, and it pops the mag out real good now. I can almost pop an unloaded mag out upside down. I don't know if it's grease or not, but it did loosen up and function properly very quickly after getting the gun.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
The quick answer is NO!!! ;)

The gun is an SA/DA striker fired. If you put one in the chamber it is loaded and ready to go. You can carry with the manual safety on! Below is quotes from the manual

A C TION
Normally SA/DA version operates as a conventional Single Action system
e.g. every time the slide cycles it pre-cocks the firing pin.
Nevertheless, if an ammunition failure occurs and a misfire happens, the
system automatically goes to double action condition allowing you to fire
again with no need to cycle the slide manually just pull the trigger again.

Never carry the pistol with a cartridge in the chamber
unless the safety is “on” until you are ready to shoot and the firearm is

This pistol will fire with the magazine removed. Injury or death may result.
Never point a loaded pistol at anyone or anything you do not intend to shoot.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I thought that was the case. I didn't know if it had a decocker similar to my pt92 or not. That is a minus, IMO. I carry my PT92 with the hammer down and one in the chamber. Seems I am starting to lean towards that purty new 809...

Another question, can I tell if it is SA/DA visually? I thought I noticed DAO stamped on the slide below the rear sights on the model that I picked up. Or was I seeing things?

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
I personally do not own a 24/7, so I will let one of the guys who does answer that. But, I thought all of them were SA/DA, but I have only been back in firearms for about 7 months, learning every day here and elsewhere!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just took my new 24/7 to the range this Sunday.
Before I took it, I got some bore scrubber and cleaned all the grease out of it.
Man, it was everywhere!

I did a good cleaning and took it to the range.
Like you, I kept hearing about all the FTF and other jamming issues. I didn't encounter any.

The only thing I didn't like about the pistol was the sights.
I'll be rectifying this sometime in the near future with some after-market sights...

As for the grips, I liked the feel of the rubber grips on teh 9mm and .40, but didn't really notice mych difference with the ones on the .45...

I do have to say that I'm completely amazed at how they were able to fit 13 rounds into such a comfortable package!

I never really looked at these before the day I bought mine.
I compared them to the S&W M&P, Glock 21 and Springfield XP.45. Of all of them, I liked the feel of this one the best. I also liked the trigger much better than the others. The SA/DA is a great idea and I like the ability to take a 2nd strike.

Before you rule the .45 out because of the grips, you should hold one...

Now to find a good IWB hoster and night sights...

God Bless,
Doc S

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I got my new 24/7 pro .40, there was grease on the slide rails mostly. But after I did a takedown of the gun I could clearly see where the grease was(it was the clearish withish stuff that was goopy). Cleaned it off and the slide functioned much better. i think the grease is there for storing and shipping. Here's my advice for the magazine eject problem: Mine was sticky and weak when I first bought it, but after much use of the button(playing with the gun unloaded bad boys style, and use at the range) it softened up. Still, to the guns I've used, it's probably not the softest release button there is, but it's within parameters. As far as the mag release itself, after some good use, mine now pops out nice and assertive. I too had the issues of stiff button and slow mag release, but after using the gun and cleaining it, I tuely feel that it was just the packing grease.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again, Steve. I have pretty much decided that I will be getting one soon and hope that the issue I have with the mag release is only temporary.

Doctor_Venkman said:
Another question, can I tell if it is SA/DA visually? I thought I noticed DAO stamped on the slide below the rear sights on the model that I picked up. Or was I seeing things?
Robby said:
I personally do not own a 24/7, so I will let one of the guys who does answer that. But, I thought all of them were SA/DA, but I have only been back in firearms for about 7 months, learning every day here and elsewhere!!!
I learned something today. I stopped by another gunshop today and talked with the owner. I asked about the DAO and DA/SA on the 24/7. He told me that all of the 24/7 Pro's are DA/SA. The older model 24/7's (not 24/7 Pro) are the DAO variety. He said that basically if it was a 24/7 Pro it would be DA/SA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the 24/7 in .45m, shot it consecutively for almost 300 shots without any hitch with ball ammo. I carry it at night and in the day time PT909 in 9mm. If you ask me that what made me be so astutely Taurus lover....
the answer is simple.
1) i am Taurus
2) i have seen the work of the Taurus pistol, no problems with .45 cal nicest grip, very good price and on top of it all, the loaded chamber indicator and the list goes on and on.
My friends mostly use Baretta and the Glock 17, but when i took those pistols in hand they didnt exactly fit the hand as THIS 24/7 does. i didnt even know that i was holding something new, it just fit my hand like a glove. There was no difference in the recoil between 9mm and .45 cal.
PT 909 is a marriage between Baretta and the slide of newer versions of the pistols like SIG.
I have shot 7 out of 20 shots at just over 140 yards in a paper target with silhoutte, worked like butter and hot knife merged togather.
i dont feel any need to buy any other gun to carry when i know i have two Taurau gathered at one place. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Doctor_Venkman said:
Thanks for the info Doc S. What did you use to clean the grease? And when you say everywhere, how much are we talking about?
I used Hoppes degreaser. It's the same as bore scrubber, but cheaper.
As far as where I found the grease, it was all over the outside of the slide and frame assembly. When I took the slide assembly off, everything inside the upper and lower assembly was filled with grease too...

I sprayed the Hoppes in and around everything to make sure I got most of the grease out, then I worked with q-tips and more spray to get the rest clean. I pulled a bore snake with solvent though the bore, then used Mil-Tec synthetic oil to lubricate it.

I cleaned my pistol between magazines for the 1st 200 rounds.
After the range, I went home to do a thourough cleaning and lubed a few parts with mil-tec grease, then used the lighter oil for the rest of the weapon.

God Bless,
Doc S

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well....

I will be picking up my new .40 cal 24/7 Pro on the 21st. :D Hopefully that will be enough time for the new holster I had to order to come in.

This is a little off topic, but I just wanted to mention it in case there are any shop owners reading.

I will be buying my gun from a dealer that is 125+ miles away from my local dealer. Primarily, because the guy was helpful and nice. He also said that he was a big fan of Taurus. ( ;) +1) The person that owns my local gun shop just doesn't seem to be very talkative nor helpful. I've bought 2 guns from them and both times it just didn't seem like they wanted to explain anything or really give any details. Other times when I've stopped in to look at other guns or accessories they didn't seem to care if I was there or not. When I did ask a question, all I got was short answers. Not much explaining why or offering advice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
125 miles is quite a drive, but you gotta do what you gotta do. There's no sense in giving business to bad businessmen, and you vote with your dollars. I'm lucky that I have a few good gun shops within 5-10 miles, but I will drive 25 miles to a car repair shop that I trust, and past a few supermarkets until I get to the one that has good service. I used to work for a drycleaner's in which most employees, excluding myself, were very poor customer service representitives. It made me laugh inside to see how many people would come in complaining of bad service and poor cleaning quality WEEK AFTER WEEK for years, it's not like there wasn't 10 other cleaners within a mile or so........

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually, waiting until the 21st is worse than the drive. :)

I am in that city on business every other Thursday. That gun shop is 1/4 to 1/2 mile from my customer. So, when you zoom out and look at the larger picture, it's sorta right next door. Waiting is the hard part.

For the record. I would not call them bad businessmen. I guess I'd say they just lack a winning personality. Which for me, carries some weight.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey, like I said, I drive out of my way to shop at the supermaket that has good service. Doesn't mean that the market that's exactly .1 miles away isn't good business. I'd just rather spend my money where they make me feel good about spending $3 for a loaf of bread and $5 for a gallon of milk(thanks george bush). My Father always taught me to vote with my dollars when it came to business, and even though he's a democratic, gun controling, tax spending liberal, I do agree with him on his free-market ideals.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.