Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been trying to convince myself that I need/want a .22 rifle. You know something cheap to shoot, teach the grand kids the basics, blow up some beer cans just for the hell of it kind of gun. So far this need/want has been, at best, lukewarm. The problem for me has been that there really isn’t anything cool or interesting to pick from….no wow factor. I just can’t bring myself to buy a Marlin or Ruger. Good guns I’m sure but as boring as white toast without butter. The Walther G22? It’s Ok but still looks a bit too plastic for me. Just when I was about to write the whole idea off I came across this soon to be released model from Kel-Tec. This is one cool .22 rifle! It’s very similar in design to the SU-16 models. First thing tomorrow I’m calling my local dealer and asking him to get one on order for me. What say you of the Forum?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2008/02/04/keltec-plr-22-su-22/

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i have a marlin 60 those are fantastic rifles, the wood stock on them is oh so nice birch wood i believe.. it feels so good in the hand you want to rube it against your cheek.

it's also good for people who have trouble loading mags.. it's tube fed so it's easy to load.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's a nice riffle. But if just for something fun to shoot I like the Marlins or Remmingtons. I had a Marlin 60, and it was a good rifle for $129. Currently I have a Remmington 579 for plinking and I love it. I think I paid $140 for it new. The Ruger 10/22's are very boring looking, but they have a ton of after market things to spice it up. My dad's 10/22 looks like a AR-15.

I bought a 30 round mag for my Remmy and want to put pod legs on it soon. If you want to see .22 rilfes that don't look ordinary, check these models out with the Boyd's after market stock:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/rimfire_rifles/model_597/model_597_tvp.asp

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/premier_dealer_exclusives/model_597_yellow_jacket.asp

Boyd also makes this stock for the 10/22.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I mentioned, Ruger and Marlin make nice .22's. They just don't have the wow factor I want. Nothing against them, Just want something different. For around $400 the Keltec looks like it might fit the bill.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I think that Keltec would be fun, just to see the looks on peoples faces. But not at $400. I have a 40 plus year old semi auto JC Higgins 22LR, I bought at sears that shoots just as good, and only holds 10 rds less.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
rainman said:
As I mentioned, Ruger and Marlin make nice .22's. They just don't have the wow factor I want. Nothing against them, Just want something different. For around $400 the Keltec looks like it might fit the bill.
like switch said you can get a ruger 10/22 and dress it up.. hell i've seen DRUM magazines for those things before.. i dont have one but i probably will at some point.. they got more accessories then barbie!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
joe sixpack said:
like switch said you can get a ruger 10/22 and dress it up.. hell i've seen DRUM magazines for those things before.. i dont have one but i probably will at some point.. they got more accessories then barbie!
No doubt about it. The 10/22 has every available option known to mankind. I just want something different. The Kel-Tec looks like it's ready to go right out of the Box. Another consideration is the new ATI GSG-5. A little pricey but very very cool being based off of the German GSG assult rifle.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thunderjohn said:
Looks nice rainman.
Will you have to move out of state to own it? :D :D
Very funny thunderjohn! Actually I can stay in Illinois....I just won't be able to load it , assembly it or shoot it. I can keep it in a locked room and, on alternating Tuesday of odd numbered months, remove it for cleaning with written permission from Gov. Bob.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Switch said:
If you want to see .22 rilfes that don't look ordinary, check these models out with the Boyd's after market stock:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/rimfire_rifles/model_597/model_597_tvp.asp

Boyd also makes this stock for the 10/22.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
I had a Remington semi 22 when I was a kid and I loved it. It held 10 rounds in a tube mag and you couldn't ask for more! (Well maybe 20.)

Thanks for the link to the new Remis, OMG how times have changed... love the stock on that 597 TVP. And the pink camo would be perfect for my daughter... she turns 3 this year... of course I'll have to test fire it until she's ready to start shooting. You know, break it in first.

I.:.C

·
Super Moderator
21,452 Posts
Taurus has a line of pumps and one auto that look just like the ones I grew up on I've thought about getting one just for nastalgia sake, I love my rugar its just basic black fiber stock and a 3x9 with see through sites its not wow in the looks department but both my daughters can shoot the heck out of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts