Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gun Revolver Firearm Starting pistol Trigger
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

Some would think I paid too much for this early 90's vintage Taurus Mod 66 six shot.

I've written several blogs about my friend I refer to as Mr. Outdoor Joe. The man is anal about detail on everything he does. He never leaves any gun as it comes new, out of the box, he always seeks to improve it.

This 66 was no exception. He polished all the internals and lightened the mainspring when he first got it, as well as sanding all the checkering off the stocks.

I first held this revolver in January, just before going out to shoot with Outdoor Joe. He had bought JonRJen's gorgeous Ruger Redhawk in .44 magnum, and then found a vintage 60's Blackhawk that was mint, and I was admiring them and then he brought out this 66. I thumbed it a couple of times, and heard that sweet clicking sounding like I was winding a fine Swiss watch. At his insistence, I dry fired it double action a few times. Really Sweet. Seemed as smooth as a pre-model 10 S & W I had once procrastinated on about 4 years ago. He had taken 4 white-tails with the 66 as well as a couple of feral hogs.

Anyhow, I thought about that 66 a few times over the past few months, it wasn't for sale, but sure felt good in my hands.

Outdoor Joe called me Friday morning, announcing he wanted to get a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog, since he had dies for the .44s and didn't like the crack of a .357, and asked if I knew anyone who would buy it, and I was hooked.

I'll go out to the range with it in the morning and let you know how it shoots, but I have no doubt it shoots good.

This really caught me unexpectedly as I had also bought a Ruger SR22 only two days earlier when I saw it in the case.

So now, I have two guns I have to hide from the wife, and I hadn't planned on buying any this year.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
If you have the money and want something bad enough it can never be overpriced. That is a beauty. Makes me want to put on some cowboy boots and hat and open carry.

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts
Never said how much you paid, so, who am I to judge. That is a very nice model 66! let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never said how much you paid, so, who am I to judge. That is a very nice model 66! let us know how it shoots.
I paid $396 for it with a cheapie Uncle Mikes holster. He also had a 100 rounds of his .357 handloads and a speed loader. I trust his reloads complicitly, as he is more anal about his reloads than anything else. He asked what I would give for those and I chimed in $27.50, so now I have a speed loader and another 100 rounds of .357 magnum. $396 for a used model 66 is high, but this is really tuned well and Mr. Outdoor Joe tuned it! :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
While you may find 66s cheaper, I doubt you'll find one as nicely tuned as his while also knowing the history of the revolver. And at current pricing, you did great on the ammo & speedloader & holster!

JMHO, but this was a friendly deal and you don't want a few bucks to stand in the way of a good friendship! Plus if you ever need to unload a firearm, maybe he'll remember how you "helped him quickly acquire that Bulldog" and reciprocate. And if he was a good friend of mine and if he didn't remember...I'd jokingly remind him!?!

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Very nice looking firearm you got there. Congrats on the find and hopefully you will figure out how/when to break it to the wife!

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While you may find 66s cheaper, I doubt you'll find one as nicely tuned as his while also knowing the history of the revolver. And at current pricing, you did great on the ammo & speedloader & holster!

JMHO, but this was a friendly deal and you don't want a few bucks to stand in the way of a good friendship! Plus if you ever need to unload a firearm, maybe he'll remember how you "helped him quickly acquire that Bulldog" and reciprocate. And if he was a good friend of mine and if he didn't remember...I'd jokingly remind him!?!
Actually, he had posted it the night before on a Texas forum and had a guy in Dallas wanting it, so the favor was to me, although I still remind him of the great deal I found him on the Ruger Redhawk.

Reactions: dallascj and djw479

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, especially with all the goodies you got with it. I'm sure you are going to enjoy that pistol.

·
Registered
30,023 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nice find and a decent price, I have the Taurus SS Judge 3" magnum and the Taurus M605.357 magnum and both have the sweet Swiss watch sound, love it. I also have the Ruger SR22PB and it is a sweet little plinker. Enjoy your 2 new beauties. You did good.

·
Registered
25,027 Posts
Nice looking wheelgun. I'm sure you are going to enjoy it.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I paid $396 for it with a cheapie Uncle Mikes holster. He also had a 100 rounds of his .357 handloads and a speed loader. I trust his reloads complicitly, as he is more anal about his reloads than anything else. He asked what I would give for those and I chimed in $27.50, so now I have a speed loader and another 100 rounds of .357 magnum. $396 for a used model 66 is high, but this is really tuned well and Mr. Outdoor Joe tuned it! :)
$396 is not that high considering condition and what you received with it.....
Try finding a S&W Model 19 in that condition and see what you'll be paying for it

Very nice.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
There's nothing like a fine revolver. I believe you got a deal on it myself.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I did shoot a box of .38 special through it on Wednesday morning, sorry, I was so excited to shoot I forgot photos. I think I fired the first six single action and then fired the rest at some Steel body profile targets all double action, The light 38 specials would not tip the steel over unless they were head shots. I shot a couple of cylinders of .357 mags and those set the steel down, and the smooth wood grips did not bite like the checkered combat grips on the 66 S & W. The double action is lighter on the Taurus 66 and does quite well with it.

I think 5 years ago, when I was looking to get a Taurus 66, they were about $420 new if you could find them, and I stumbled on the S & W 66 no dash for $379 and it was a no brainer. I actually prefer the blued to the stainless.

Shooting double action at the three steel targets at 20 yards, the best I was able to do was ding two twice and put them down and ding one once out of six shots. I didn't have my buddy time the shots, but I suspect about 5 seconds. I really like that drill on the steel and will have to start going for speed.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts