Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK. I'm a moron, let's get that out of the way right now.

A year and a half ago I thought I lost a pistol.
I had no idea where it might have gone.
I searched all our vehicles a dozen times, the safe, the house, called our son etc.
I repeated this for a year and a half. I bet I searched my truck 25 times.
I had 427 different horrible scenarios in my head as to where it might have gone.

I am now cleaning out our house more or less of firearms. My eyesight is almost gone and I am getting old.
My doctor tells my age now by counting the rings in my left leg.
I've been gathering things up and taking them to my LGS.
He is a nice guy and is moving them out for me at 10% which I think is great.
Yesterday I found it.
It was in the safe. IN THE IDIOT SAFE!!!!
For a year and a half.
It was resting nicely inside one of the door pockets in the safe next to the HK's.
I've looked in that safe 524 times in the last year and a half.

I should just shoot myself.
That wouldn't work though because I couldn't find a gun to use.............:mad:

·
9,093 Posts
Well, be it far from me to say you're not an idiot? But misplacing things is the senior folks version of whack a mole. You misplace something, tear up the house,car,everywhere you've been in the last month only to forget what you are looking for. At least you didn't forget what you were looking for.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I would like to laugh at you but I'd be laughing at myself also. I lost a Sig P220 for over a year. Did the same thing you did searching the house, trucks, car, boat, sons house etc, etc. Was working in my shop and had to get a drill driver out of the tool locker. Noticed a black plastic case that didn't look like the cases my tools are in. I had put the Sig in an aftermarket black gun case and either I or my son stuffed it in the tool locker along with my saws, drills, grinders etc.

·
Super Moderator
21,900 Posts
Let me know if you found my S&W M&P 4 " switchblade! I've been looking everywhere and I never move it from my nightstand! Grrrrrr!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,009 Posts
We all been there and done that. It's strange how these things seem to happen more frequently as we age, is it not?

You don't mention the type of pistol you "misplaced." One assumes that it is of a small to medium size. If, however, it is, oh, say a 10.5 inch Ruger Super Blackhawk, you might do well to rethink your self-descriptive nomenclature, as "idiot" might be a bit of an understatement. ;D

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
OK. I'm a moron, let's get that out of the way right now.

A year and a half ago I thought I lost a pistol.
I had no idea where it might have gone.
I searched all our vehicles a dozen times, the safe, the house, called our son etc.
I repeated this for a year and a half. I bet I searched my truck 25 times.
I had 427 different horrible scenarios in my head as to where it might have gone.

I am now cleaning out our house more or less of firearms. My eyesight is almost gone and I am getting old.
My doctor tells my age now by counting the rings in my left leg.
I've been gathering things up and taking them to my LGS.
He is a nice guy and is moving them out for me at 10% which I think is great.
Yesterday I found it.
It was in the safe. IN THE IDIOT SAFE!!!!
For a year and a half.
It was resting nicely inside one of the door pockets in the safe next to the HK's.
I've looked in that safe 524 times in the last year and a half.

I should just shoot myself.
That wouldn't work though because I couldn't find a gun to use.............:mad:
I hate when I have to preface a story with a line like that! :) Glad you found your pistol.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Don't be too hard on yourself. Such is the one problem with having too many guns, it gets hard to keep track of them all, especially when your eyesight isn't the best.

·
Registered
19,780 Posts
.......................................I should just shoot myself.
If your eyesight's that bad...:dunno:...you'd prob'ly miss anyway. :D Don't feel bad...:unsure:...I hunted deer for 30+ years before I finally realized I hadn't even lost one in the first place.

·
Registered
17,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We all been there and done that. It's strange how these things seem to happen more frequently as we age, is it not?

You don't mention the type of pistol you "misplaced." One assumes that it is of a small to medium size. If, however, it is, oh, say a 10.5 inch Ruger Super Blackhawk, you might do well to rethink your self-descriptive nomenclature, as "idiot" might be a bit of an understatement. ;D

It was an FNX-9mm. A nice comfortable medium sized pistol.
I think it was because it was built in South Carolina.
I don't speak 'southern' and it didn't know how worried I was.
I still can't believe it.
I was within 3 feet of it 10 times a day for a year and a half.
I need a drink.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Ditto here on the Moron. There's a PT111 somewhere in my house. Been well over a year now.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I now have to search through three safes! I've learned I have to pull everything out and put it all back in before I'm sure it isn't there. To date, it usually is in one of them.

The one time I was missing a pistol, it was in the, "BUGOUT" bag.

Maloy

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
At least you lost it IN the safe. I'm not as 'seasoned' as some, but sometimes rely on 'muscle memory' for more than just swiping the safety OFF. It pays to develop good habits that become second nature.

Reactions: Rickenbacher39

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
It’s ok. At 24 I keep forgetting I have 22 rifles... so I bring one home because I need it... true story.
Until you get married, then you'll have a constant reminder. :D

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I lost a Springfield 1911 in my house.I was convinced it was stolen by a former employee who used to visit.Didn't have kids then so it wasn't uncommon for pistols to be lying about in each room.
So I go to the police station and file a lost/stolen gun report.My wife finds it 6 months later in the closet of the spare bedroom in a box of Christmas decorations.
So I go to the P.D. and tell them I found the gun and had hidden it from myself apparently.They grilled me and said ok.

Sold it about a year later.I hope they removed it from the stolen list...........

·
Registered
839 Posts
This reminds me of a few years back when I was getting ready to go shopping and could not find my glasses. Looked for a good 15 minutes in every spot I could have possibly left them with no luck. Finally went into my bathroom to see if I left them there and looked into the mirror.....AND I WAS WEARING THEM! DUH Getting old sucks.

Also, I have repeatedly told my wife that if I had $100 for every time I walked into a room to do something and couldn't remember what I was going to do when I got there....I wouldn't need social security.

I have a buddy who is a few weeks younger than me and I was telling him the 'walking into a room' story and he starts laughing. Then he pauses to tell me he is not laughing at me. He has a two story house and told me that just a few days earlier he was standing at the bottom of his stairs and wondered "Did I just come downstairs to do something or was I going upstairs?"

Anyway.....welcome to my world! :eek:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Ugh, you guys are making me feel bad...

I have poor eyesight and frequently forget things, but I'm not even old! Heck, I don't even have the excuse of having too many firearms to keep track of! Within the past 6 months I have misplaced a pistol, a knife, and my wallet! Granted that I found them all within the day that I had misplaced them, and they were all in safe places inside the house where nothing could have gotten hurt, but it's still embarrassing nonetheless.

*sigh* How old must one be before they can truly call themselves old and reap all the benefits/honors of being a senior citizen? Oh well, at the rate I'm going, I'll be completely blind and my mind will be mush by the time I'm old.

·
Registered
15,359 Posts
OMG you are such a moron. I can't believe you would lose something for more than a year. Jesus, What the hell's wrong with you? At least that's the dialog I have with myself when I do what you've done. I appear to be having that inner conversation much more frequently or so it seems.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Have You ever bought a Firearm or something else thinking "I have always wanted one of these" and then You go to put it away and find the exact same thing already in Your perfect hiding place?
Me too.

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
It was an FNX-9mm. A nice comfortable medium sized pistol.
I think it was because it was built in South Carolina.
I don't speak 'southern' and it didn't know how worried I was.
I still can't believe it.
I was within 3 feet of it 10 times a day for a year and a half.
I need a drink.
Repeat after me: “God bless yo peapickin’ lil heart”. Emphasize 2 syllable pronunciation of the words “bless” and “heart”.

That’ll getcha started.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts