Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to my local range to have a little fun with my baby. Unfortunately, my PT started out with a few hiccups. My 4th shot jammed, cleared it and on the 8th shot a misfeed. I was using Winchester 45 AUTO 230 GR. FMJ. I cleaned my gun two days before. I changed to a different magazine and several more misfeeds. I reloaded and went through 50 rounds with no problems, then a failure to eject, cleared, reloaded magazine took three or four more shots failure to eject again. It was frustrating, my PT145 has been so good until now.

Could it be the Winchester ammunition? This was my first time using Winchester ammunition. What do some of you use for target practice? I'll pick up something else. Thanks.

Update: I purchased some Federal Champion from Wally World and went to the range. Shot 50 rounds without a hiccup what so ever. The WWB just didn't work well I suppose. Taurus still rocks! :guns:
SG

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
If it was Winchester White Box (WWB) it is quite possible. My PT145MilPro works with everything that I have tried, BUT there are many other threads and forums here where pistols of most brands and models have had problems with WWB.

While not my PT145MilPro, my PT709 9mm chokes on WWB but works fine with everything else.

Try another brand and load and see if the problem is gone.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Winchester white box ammo causes my MilPro PT111 9mm to choke and sputter from time to time.

All other brands I've put through the little pistol fire and cycle through just fine.

So...I gave away what WWB ammo I had, and use the stuff that works.

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
32 Posts
I ran through some 230 gr FMJ Federal Premium (i think) over Sunday out of my PT145 and had 3 FTLs and one nose dive(which has happened several times using this ammo) out of a box of 50. I ran through some FTX 185 gr Hornadys and they loaded with no problems. They were out of the Winchester White Box JHP 45s or I would have bought those to try as well. I can't figure out of it's the magazine causing them to nose dive or if it's the pistol. Looking at the magazine thread that shows the difference between the different magazines available I can't even tell which one I have to know if I have one more prone to problems. It is a factory Taurus mag. The ProMags I got with the pistol are horrible so I don't even use those anymore. Any ideas?

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
Dirty commercial ammo "may" cause these problems.

But no offense intended, so does limp-wristing.

The PT145 is a short, compact extremely light platform for the .45 ACP that requires a consistently firm grip to provide enough resistence to reliably function.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
If you bought the Federal ammo at Walmart or Cabelas, it may have been the Federal Champion, which is the budget load often loaded to a lower velocity than other similar ammo.
It may also have small pistol primers instead of the standard large pistol primers (also a cost cutting measure).

While it has always worked fine in my PT145, a few others have said that it is only slightly better than WWB.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts