Taurus Firearm Forum banner

I think I will purchase and carry a Taurus 617 as my CCW piece.

4K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  45 Forever 
#1 ·
Feel free to convince that I've made the right or the wrong choice.

#3 ·
I have a 617 in stainless, I had a small problem originally but after a trip to Miami, it shoots like a dream and I am really starting to like it. I do not think you made a bad choice. Badge851 will probably provide some more positive info on this one. He has carried one for quite a few years.

#4 ·
Nice weapon. Smaller and easier concealed is the M605. Either one is excellent, depending on your preference.

#6 · (Edited)
I have a Mdl 617SS2 that my wife gave me as a birthday gift in 05/2003. I love the gun, it is highly accurate and very dependable. I used it for several years as my primary duty gun when working plain clothes assignments. I have close to 8,000 rounds through mine. It prefers 158gr ammunition over any other bullet weight; 357 Magnum or 38 Special. It is my primary EDCG in Fall and Winter. I carry a 605SS2 as my primary in Spring and Summer. You will be very well served with either gun.

#9 · (Edited)
I have a model 617SS2 and it is my primary carry piece, it is a little bit on the heavy side at 28 oz. but shooting 357's in it the weight handles the recoil very well and 38's make it handle like a little kitty cat. Before I bought it I would carry either my 1911A1 or colt Cobra 38 special.

I love it, in fact I hope to hit the range with it tomorrow after hitting the local gun show. Today the fog was so thick you couldn't hardly see a target at 7 yards!!!

Like Badge851 said you can't go wrong with it!

#12 ·
I just got a 617 UL...very nice! Shoots good groups at 15yds. Have not tried it at 25yd yet, but will be interesting to see how it does. Very nice to carry and always nice to have 7rds. Be nice if I could find some grips for it....don't really like the ribber grips. One fellow gave me a link to where I may be able to get some wood ones...pricey.

#15 · (Edited)
I just got a 617 UL...very nice! Shoots good groups at 15yds. Have not tried it at 25yd yet, but will be interesting to see how it does. Very nice to carry and always nice to have 7rds. Be nice if I could find some grips for it....don't really like the ribber grips. One fellow gave me a link to where I may be able to get some wood ones...pricey.
What exact model of 617 do you have? Is it the discontinued 19oz Titanium model? If so I bet it's a real handful with 357 Magnum ammunition!:eek::D

#14 ·
Around $140 to get wood grips for that little beast. But you'll probably be the only one around with one like that. If you want it purty you'll have to pony up!

#19 ·
Unfortunately Pachmayr® makes no grips for the Taurus® Compact frame guns. For a 415/425/445/617/627/817 gun you have three choices..........
• The Taurus® "Combat Grip" that came on the gun (617)

• The Taurus® "Ribber Grip" that comes on the 817 for example

• The Houge® Monogrip® for Taurus Tracker™

#22 ·
I was just looking at the Polymers in 38 & 357. Talking about light then the guy handed me a 357 in a Air weight, I can't imagine full 357 magnum out of that gun. Ouch
I have a M-85 that I have been taking a liking to. With my RA its seems I have been going back to revolvers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.