Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was cleaning my 669 tonight, giving it a little TLC and noticed what I, at first, thought was a scratch on the frame to the right of the hammer (by the little screw). On closer inspection I find it looks more like a crack..!! As I am a complete newbie to revolvers can anyone tell me if this is dangerous? Should I stop shooting the gun (bear in mind I only shoot .38 wadcutters and no hot loads at all..). Here are some photos for you learned eyes to peruse..

Sorry guys, forgot to rotate the photos..

Attachments

Administrator
Looks like the side plate seam to me, not a crack.

Reactions: loudviking

That (crack) looks like the side plate seam, which is normal. If you remove the grips, you should see 3 screws holding the side plate on the right side frame of the revolver, and the whole side plate seam. If you decide to remove the side plate for some reason, please find a Utube video of disassembling a revolver first, and use the correct size screw driver bit so the screw heads and slots do not get damaged.

My 669:

P1030642.jpg

Super Moderator
Waiting for someone to say it's a very dangerous condition and that ManxTom needs to send the gun to them immediately.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Phew... in the, thankfully, short time I had to wait for answers you can't imagine just how much I have aged...!!!! Well, if you don't ask, you don't find out. Many, many grateful thanks guys. I can breathe again.

Reactions: silverstring

Super Moderator
As they might say in Texas...Git out and shoot that thang! :D

Premium Member
This is why this is a GREAT forum. There are some knowledgeable "gun people" on this board. The best part about it is, if they don't know, they won't blow smoke up your leg. I'm glad the guys could alleviate your concerns.

Registered
To the OP, there is NO ONE in the shooting sports who didn't start out as a first-timer. In the 60+ years I've had some sort of gun at my disposal I still learn new things all the time using the 'trick' of asking questions about topics new to ME. Good onya mate for asking here.

Reactions: ManxTom

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your thoughts RandyP.. they say that the stupidest question is the one never asked.. I've been around guns most of my 68 years. With 22 years Army service I have seen a wealth of different firearms, but 95% of them have been long guns of one type or another. I was taught to shoot pistols in the Army, the good old Browning Hi-power, and I had experience with the US issue 1911 when I was stationed alongside US troops in Germany. However.. my revolver experience is more or less nothing so I'm not averse to asking questions. I would have looked a complete idiot if I'd gone back to the dealer and said I've found a crack on the frame..!!

So, happy days. Looking forward to loosing off some lead tomorrow morning at the range. In my humble opinion my 669 is an elegant gun. It shoots well, it's accurate and it's fun. Thanks guys for all your esteemed input.

I was taught to shoot pistols in the Army, the good old Browning Hi-power, and I had experience with the US issue 1911 when I was stationed alongside US troops in Germany.
Must not... derail... thread with... six choruses of "all Hail JMBrowning" :rolleyes:

It's a good thing I didn't really get into revolvers until the internet age started. I can picture the damage the old me would have inflicted trying to get a sideplate off. ;D

Banned
About 25 years ago I thought my inherited M84 had a crack. Same as yours. Took it to someone who looked at it for less than a second before pointing out how the sideplate fits these revolvers. My dad bought that gun new sometime between 1968 and 1970. I'd been shooting it since it was new. No clue why it took me almost 25 years to notice it.

Registered
I have a friend who is a Ruger DA revolver shooter.

He bought a S&W DA revolver and then hit the roof: he thought he'd got taken by the seller because he thought the frame was cracked, and that the seller sold him a defective item. He was also unaware of sideplates in S&W revolvers which don't exist on the Ruger revolvers he was familiar with.

Bayou52

1 - 15 of 15 Posts