Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the pt140 and i was trying to lock the thing using the slide safety key and it didn't work. So i pulled back the slide and tried again and wallah!!! Worked! But now when i inserted the key to try to disengage the system my keys broke (top plastic end causing no friction on mechanism when turning). Tried using pliers to turn but i think the keys may have been stripped or something because they aren't turning back the lock thing at all. I may have to send back to taurus but im done with these keys...first one broke first day and now the second today. O and it's stuck in the racked position Manual safety from here on out...please any suggestions though

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
? Sorry ? Welcome there may be someone who has dealt with this issue, haven't had a problem with that my self or heard of it.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
First welcome from New Mexico.

Did you try and lock the gun with the slide in the open position or with the firing pin cocked? All the manuals state that if you try and lock the pistol with either of these conditions permanent damage to the gun will occur. If you tried to lock it with the slide open then it will need to be sent in to Taurus for repairs. If not all the keys are the same, see if you have a friend with a Taurus and try and use their key to unlock yours.

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
The lock is supposed to be used with the gun in a safe mode. No round in chamber gun not cocked and slide forward. The lock stops all the above from happening. If you did anything but this you could have seriously damaged your gun. Call Taurus. Welcome I wish you had asked about the lock first. Hang out and ask all kinds of questions as we can help you with stuff that is not in the manual. Sorry if something happened to your new gun.

Reactions: Smokewagon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
? Sorry ? Welcome there may be someone who has dealt with this issue, haven't had a problem with that my self or heard of it.
thanx! Yeah the slide was open! The key wouldn't work otherwise and i figured maybe it had to be in the open position for it to engage. Sucks if i messed something up but o well..maybe it was a faulty lock because i attempted turning the thing clockwise in normal position and everytime i felt like i was about to break it again (my second key). But when i racked it, sure enough it locked but didn't unlock! I'll call taurus tomorrow and send it back to them.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As others have said above, your gun might be damaged if you applied the lock when the slide was not in the forward position. This was mentioned in the manual that's included in the box. You need to contact Taurus CS at 1-800-327-3776 or 1-305-624-1115 to send the gun back to Taurus so they can check it for you and fix the damage, if any.

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
It probably did not work if the gun was cocked. I'm not to kicked up about the PC lock anyways. But I know why they do it now S&W does it too. Just in a different place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
holy crap!!!! read you guys comments and had given up and was about to send to taurus tomorrow but then i said to myself "i can fix this"!!! Put the screw and plier combo back in and pulled slightly back on the slide whilst doing this and sure enough it returned back to normal position!! Now i just need to fire this this thing to make sure it's not damaged internally but all looks good right now. Thanks

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Yep, I never used the keys included with my Tauri. I gave all of them away to friends. I like the real locks included with the Ruger's.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
holy crap!!!! read you guys comments and had given up and was about to send to taurus tomorrow but then i said to myself "i can fix this"!!! Put the screw and plier combo back in and pulled slightly back on the slide whilst doing this and sure enough it returned back to normal position!! Now i just need to fire this this thing to make sure it's not damaged internally but all looks good right now. Thanks
I'm glad for you to hear it. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
35,501 Posts
Good luck with the new pistol and welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois!

Make certain that all the "safety checks" turn out right.

·
Super Moderator
35,501 Posts
Get thee to the range !! :D

Let us know how she shoots and what your impressions are...we also love gun photos...;)

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I am glad that you got it unlocked. Just be sure to check it out really good and give her a test run at the range.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I learned by playing wih the lock. The gun has to be empty, the slide in battery and the trigger pulled. I tried it a coupla times and decided to forget it.

I wouldn't attempt shoot it until it dry-fires and can be racked easily. It would be safer to let Taurus check it out first.

Dumb lock anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am glad that you got it unlocked. Just be sure to check it out really good and give her a test run at the range.
racks easily and it dry fires ok. I've had this gun for about 3 months now...only took it to range twice (misfired a few times on first range run back in jan but second was all good 2 weeks ago). Hopefully it fires ok next go round...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts