Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as I'm sure pretty much everyone here knows by now, I carry a Smith & Wesson manufactured Walther PPK/S in .380 ACP. It's a classic, all-steel firearm which design dates back to the early 1900s, so it's quite heavy for a .380 pistol these days, weighing in at about 24oz, which is roughly 2x the weight of some of the modern lightweight .380 pistols.
As a result, I have received criticism for carrying this gun, with many folks asking the natural question, "Why carry such a heavy .380 Pistol when there are much lighter pistols in .380 ACP/9mm Luger?" Well, there are a lot of reasons, but I've already covered them before many times, so the short version is that it fits my hands really well, is extremely accurate, flawlessly reliable, is aesthetically-speaking the finest pistol I've ever layed eyes on, and I honestly couldn't see spending money on a new gun that shoots the same or a bit more powerful ammo which I may not even have as good luck with.

Well, just recently the Kimber Ultra Carry II came to my attention. Some may wonder what cave I have been living in that it only just came to my attention, but for those who are as behind the times as me, the Kimber Ultra Carry II is basically a 1911 Officer Model, except this one is the lightest example I've ever seen, weighing in at a mere 25oz. For reference, most other 1911 Officer Models are around 30oz at the lightest, and my PPK/S weighs about 24oz, so obviously a firearm that's a mere ounce heavier with equal ammo capacity chambered in a substantially more powerful cartridge would make for a handy upgrade. Furthermore, much like my PPK/S, the Kimber Ultra Carry II is an all-metal firearm based on a design dating back to the early 1900s with obvious aesthetic appeal.

That being said, I'm unfamiliar with the Kimber brand, and I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about their firearms in the past which tended to be extremely polarizing, so I figured I'd post a thread here to see if I could get any feedback from folks who may have some experience with Kimber.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
TR, I have three Kimber 1911's. A .45 Stainless Gold Match, a 9mm Stainless Custom Target, and a .22 out of their custom shop. I only had one problem with any of my Kimbers and that was my fault. I twisted off the adjustment screw in the rear sight on my gold match. I called them on a Monday afternoon and I had a brand new complete rear sight assembly Wednesday shipped to me no charge.

I find Kimber firearms to be very well built, fit and finish is excellent, they are wonderfully accurate out of the box, and I have not had to do anything to any of the triggers to make them better. Simply put, I guess what I'm trying to say is Kimber's are Kimber's.

I have no problem recommending Kimber to anyone who wants a top quality handgun.

Don

·
22,948 Posts
I looked DARN hard at that exact gun before deciding on the Colt Defender. My Colt weighs a lot more - it's solid steel - and consequently, it's a joy to shoot. Yes, I've heard mixed reviews about the Kimber. That's part of why I stayed away. I've recently decided my new Colt needs a bit of extractor tuning, but that's easily done. No regrets at all on taking the Colt over the Kimber.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@BangBang,

Thanks, that's just the sort of feedback I'm looking for.

@GhostHorse,

I looked at the Colt Defender as well, but I'm afraid it's too heavy for me to EDC all year round, whereas the Kimber is only an ounce heavier than my current carry which I've been carrying for the past few years. I know that it most likely won't be the most pleasant gun to shoot, but then again, neither is my PPK/S, and I'm more concerned about how comfortable it is to carry than how comfy it is to shoot since I intend to carry it on a daily basis.

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Registered
969 Posts
Don't know what you're looking to spend, but the Dan Wesson lightweight compact 1911s like their CCO are outstanding and come with excellent Novak tritium night sights. My shooting partner wasn't using his much, so he sold it. I called it his BBQ gun. On the last occasion I had to shoot it I fired a 1 1/4" 5 round group at 15 yards. Really excellent trigger and I love Novak sights!;)

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
This is just a thought, and maybe it's out in left field and it's not something you'd consider, but I really really like my Bond Arms Bullpup. It's all metal easy to carry and conceal and even though it is a 9 it recoils less then the 380s I have used even the small ones. Did I say that even from the first magazine it is accurate.

It is probably not on your radar but it's worth considering.

Don

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Colt does make a lite weight Defender, alloy frame. I prefer it over the Kimber you are looking at, my brother has the ultra carry 2. JMO if you like buy it who cares what anyone else thinks it is your money.
dale cell 6-2-17 1257.jpg dale cell 6-2-17 1258.jpg

·
Super Moderator
35,338 Posts
I guess Colt doesn't make the mustang anymore? Yeah, I'm old. :laugh:

Hey, the PPK is an iconic firearm for self defense/carry. It still works as well today as it did riding in German officer's holsters in WW2. I'd just tell any critics that bit of fact. :D But, hey, I never really cared what others thought. It's me I aim to please. :D

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@57K, Just so there's no confusion, I don't have much money and under most circumstances I'd aim for a cheaper option, but unlike some of Kimber's other firearms, the Ultra Carry II is priced at a rather reasonable/competitive price. Dan Wesson is likely well outside of my price range.

@BangBang, I've actually read many of your threads on the Bond Arms Bullpup because it seems like an interesting/innovative firearm, I just haven't posted in them because I didn't feel like I had anything to contribute to the discussion. To be honest, while I think it's a interesting/innovative, I'm not sure that it's for me.

@oso, Thank you for bringing this to my attention! It appears to be an ounce lighter than the Ultra Carry II, thus making it roughly equal to my PPK/S in weight at 24oz, is about the same price as the Ultra Carry II, and it comes with 2 magazines instead of just one, so I may actually opt for this over the Ultra Carry II.

@NativeTexan, They still make the Mustang, but it's only in .380 ACP. I honestly don't care what others think and find .380 ACP to be an adequate self-defense cartridge, but if I can get a firearm of equal weight that's chambered in a substantially more powerful cartridge, AND has a classy, old-school appearance like the PPK, then obviously it's something worth pursuing to me.
Heck, I'm sure those same people who critized me using the PPK/S for EDC would do the same for the Ultra Carry II as well for being an "obsolete" firearm just like the PPK, so I'm not trying to impress anybody.

Reactions: 57K

·
Super Moderator
20,006 Posts
Sounds like you have pretty much made your mind up. I don’t have a Kimber but their reputation speaks for itself.

Outside of weight, capacity and caliber do any other 1911 specs matter to you? In particular, I can’t see - just by perusing theirwebsite - whether they follow the Series 70 or Series 80 design? All my 1911s are of Series 70 design but that’s just my thing. Many experts opine now that the differences of the two designs isn’t that big a thing nowadays that manufacture has become so refined. Be that as it may, I still prefer the “non placement of an extra safety mechanism to have to overcome in order to shoot” series 70 design.

·
Registered
918 Posts
One of my best friend's has an Ultra Carry II.in .45, I didn't find it much lighter than my Rock Island. 45 officer, but my RIA shoots better (for me) and costs significantly less. YMMV
BTW I like the sights on my buddy's UCII way better than the GI sights in my RIA. The reason I shoot my RIA better is that I practice with mine more.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I recently got a alloy Kimber ultra Carry II in .45acp it replaces my old solid steel heavy Commander as my winter carry gun. MY PANTS STAY UP NOW! So much lighter with the same size and bang. It shoots to the point of aim right out of the box with no malfunctions in the first 100 rounds. Starline brass, 5.5grains of Unique and Berrys 200 grain plated SWC. I didn't like the feel of factory grips though and replaced them with Pierce hard rubber grips and I think the black grips look better too.

008.JPG

009.JPG

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@daytonaredeye,

Actually, upon having oso bring the Colt Lightweight Defender to my attention, I'm actually leaning in that direction because it costs about the same amount, but it's an ounce lighter and comes with 2 magazines instead of just one.
I'm pretty sure Kimbers are Series 70 based on the slide, which lacks the tell-tale firing pin block which is typically visible from the rear.

@Car_Doc,

I want to like RIA, but there are just too many things about their parent company and the products they offer that I don't like, so while I've considered getting one of their 1911s multiple times because they seem like an excellent value, I'd have to make too many compromises with my personal preferences to really appreciate them.

·
Registered
36,774 Posts
Don't know what you're looking to spend, but the Dan Wesson lightweight compact 1911s like their CCO are outstanding and come with excellent Novak tritium night sights. My shooting partner wasn't using his much, so he sold it. I called it his BBQ gun. On the last occasion I had to shoot it I fired a 1 1/4" 5 round group at 15 yards. Really excellent trigger and I love Novak sights!;)
Yea I still desire a Dan Wesson Guardian in 38 super myself--I am like one of our former Presidents though I just desire in my mind not in my body!!!
the Guardian is the alloy framed Commander series in the DW line up.
in MY opinion Dan Wesson is the best priced/quality of the semi custom 1911 on the market, and even then they are a tad costly but not more than several weapons that I already own.
heck to me it makes no sense (again to me) to carry a boat anchor around when you can carry the same gun in 2/3 or half the weight.
I own a Government alloy , 2 alloy Commanders, a alloy framed officer model (26 ounces with a unloaded mag by the way), guess how often a steel framed 1911 gets carried by me?

Reactions: 57K and gbusmech

·
Registered
969 Posts
I think the CCOs (Commander Slide, Officer Frame) run a bit over $1200. So, yeah, that's a bit more strain on the budget. But whatever the retail, consider the Novak Tritiums are worth $150. I also forgot to mention that the 15 yard 1 1/4" 5 round group I shot was offhand, and was with one of my True Blue 230 gr. JHP loads. My SP did keep his stainless Commander. I would have kept the DW and sold the Colt, had it been me.;)

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
So, as I'm sure pretty much everyone here knows by now, I carry a Smith & Wesson manufactured Walther PPK/S in .380 ACP. It's a classic, all-steel firearm which design dates back to the early 1900s, so it's quite heavy for a .380 pistol these days, weighing in at about 24oz, which is roughly 2x the weight of some of the modern lightweight .380 pistols.
As a result, I have received criticism for carrying this gun, with many folks asking the natural question, "Why carry such a heavy .380 Pistol when there are much lighter pistols in .380 ACP/9mm Luger?" Well, there are a lot of reasons, but I've already covered them before many times, so the short version is that it fits my hands really well, is extremely accurate, flawlessly reliable, is aesthetically-speaking the finest pistol I've ever layed eyes on, and I honestly couldn't see spending money on a new gun that shoots the same or a bit more powerful ammo which I may not even have as good luck with.

Well, just recently the Kimber Ultra Carry II came to my attention. Some may wonder what cave I have been living in that it only just came to my attention, but for those who are as behind the times as me, the Kimber Ultra Carry II is basically a 1911 Officer Model, except this one is the lightest example I've ever seen, weighing in at a mere 25oz. For reference, most other 1911 Officer Models are around 30oz at the lightest, and my PPK/S weighs about 24oz, so obviously a firearm that's a mere ounce heavier with equal ammo capacity chambered in a substantially more powerful cartridge would make for a handy upgrade. Furthermore, much like my PPK/S, the Kimber Ultra Carry II is an all-metal firearm based on a design dating back to the early 1900s with obvious aesthetic appeal.

That being said, I'm unfamiliar with the Kimber brand, and I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about their firearms in the past which tended to be extremely polarizing, so I figured I'd post a thread here to see if I could get any feedback from folks who may have some experience with Kimber.
Kimber bolt rifle in 308 and a Kimber Commander sized 1911 have both served me well. I have no reason to doubt Kimbers of the same or other stripes will serve you as well. A standard cleaning process and the use of top quality ammo makes the X-ring a thing of the past quickly, once the rifle or the Commander is lined up on them. Oh, mine has the laser sight to augment the iron sights but I never bother turning it on. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
All Kimber II models use the swartz safety system, a push rod actuated by the grip saftey to depress the firing pin plunger. Also Kimber uses series 80 firing pin stops on all models which creates a square hole for the push rod to get stuck in, simple solution is to replace the FPS with a series 70 FPS and this eliminates the square hole, don't know why Kimber does this. This swartz system was developed by Colt back in the 30's just never used.

·
Registered
36,774 Posts
I think the CCOs (Commander Slide, Officer Frame) run a bit over $1200. So, yeah, that's a bit more strain on the budget. But whatever the retail, consider the Novak Tritiums are worth $150. I also forgot to mention that the 15 yard 1 1/4" 5 round group I shot was offhand, and was with one of my True Blue 230 gr. JHP loads. My SP did keep his stainless Commander. I would have kept the DW and sold the Colt, had it been me.;)
yep, never shot a DW that I didn't like--I got 2 of them currently a older DW 41 Mag model 41HV that I use to hunt hogs wiff and a DW Pointman High capacity--that's a mouthful! PMHC!
anyway both are really good shooting weapons and more accurate than I am--the down side to the Point man is loaded it weighs in at about 53-54 ounces--but hey its got 14 +1 rounds of soul killing 45 acp
NOT exactly my idea of a carry weapon but fun as hell at the range!!!!

Reactions: 57K

·
Registered
969 Posts
O, I missed the boat on the 41HV and really hoped they would follow when the 44 was announced. I had an 8" M15V that was crazy accurate. Wish I had kept it and added a couple of different barrel lengths.

I should also mention that the CCO has an alloy frame, and with my large hands, the officer frame wasn't bad at all, but noticeably shorter. Those last True Blue 230 gr. JHP loads were pretty stiff, but not at all unmanageable. With the triggers they have and the Novak sights, they are very easy to shoot well.;)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts