Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few weeks ago I posted a thread titled “G2C Failure to return to battery II”. In it I lamented how my brand new G2C would jam while shooting. The slide would eject the spent casing, load the new round into the chamber, but stop about 1/4 inch short of fully seated. This would prevent the gun from firing. I could reach up and hit the back of the slide with the palm of my hand, and the slide would go into battery, and the gun could then be fired normally. Naturally, this is unsat for a carry weapon. I thoroughly cleaned it once, but this did not correct the problem.
I closely compared the G2C with my slightly older PT-111 G2 and noticed that the exterior of the barrel on the G2C was not as smooth as the G2. The G2 seemed polished, whereas the G2C was rough and unfinished.
I cleaned it again, but this time I applied some rubbing compound to the outside of the G2C barrel. I rubbed down the outside of the barrel as best I could. It still wasn't as polished as the G2, but it was much smoother than it was before. I also replaced the recoil spring with a stainless steel spring from Lakeline.
Yesterday I took it to the range and shot 100 rounds through it without a single failure. Yay!
I should have put the old recoil spring in it and shot it again to see if it was the spring or the polishing that fixed the problem. I'll try that next time. Right now I'm just happy that my G2C is operating the way it should.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Nice! Keep us posted - so I will know that when I find another grey G2C that I should slap a polish on it immediately :)

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
A few weeks ago I posted a thread titled “G2C Failure to return to battery II”. In it I lamented how my brand new G2C would jam while shooting. The slide would eject the spent casing, load the new round into the chamber, but stop about 1/4 inch short of fully seated. This would prevent the gun from firing. I could reach up and hit the back of the slide with the palm of my hand, and the slide would go into battery, and the gun could then be fired normally. Naturally, this is unsat for a carry weapon. I thoroughly cleaned it once, but this did not correct the problem.
I closely compared the G2C with my slightly older PT-111 G2 and noticed that the exterior of the barrel on the G2C was not as smooth as the G2. The G2 seemed polished, whereas the G2C was rough and unfinished.
I cleaned it again, but this time I applied some rubbing compound to the outside of the G2C barrel. I rubbed down the outside of the barrel as best I could. It still wasn't as polished as the G2, but it was much smoother than it was before. I also replaced the recoil spring with a stainless steel spring from Lakeline.
Yesterday I took it to the range and shot 100 rounds through it without a single failure. Yay!
I should have put the old recoil spring in it and shot it again to see if it was the spring or the polishing that fixed the problem. I'll try that next time. Right now I'm just happy that my G2C is operating the way it should.
Not sure what you mean.
Can you be more specific?
Just confirming what you say you are going to do. Run the OEM product so you know which of the 2 changes worked or at least had the most effect. Plus if the gun runs now with the OEM product you know you have a functioning back up if ever needed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Agreed. Sounds like the problem could have been just that parts needed to be broken in and smoothed out. It's possible that the stock RSA is fine. You won't know till you try shooting it with the original unit.

Either way, glad to read that you're up and running!

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
But I think this illustrates the issues that some folks have with Taurus, Inc. Should one have to polish the barrel exterior and run an aftermarket recoil spring in order to get the gun to run acceptably?
I guess it's trade off though. I think I saw where SG was running a G2C special for $169 (with club membership). Great price and I guess you might have to perform some tweaks here and there. But you probably can bet that a $700 P320-M17 or a $500 M&P Mod2 is gonna' run flawlessly right out da' box. (They better.)

777, glad you were able to get your G2C running ok.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have two of the G2c pistols and both have performed flawlessly thru five hundred plus rounds. I won't change my recoil spring unless or until the factory spring shows wear.
A curious note, both are bought new and a month smart. One of the barrels is marked STI. The other is not.
Just wondering.

·
Registered
146 Posts
But I think this illustrates the issues that some folks have with Taurus, Inc. Should one have to polish the barrel exterior and run an aftermarket recoil spring in order to get the gun to run acceptably?
I guess it's trade off though. I think I saw where SG was running a G2C special for $169 (with club membership). Great price and I guess you might have to perform some tweaks here and there. But you probably can bet that a $700 P320-M17 or a $500 M&P Mod2 is gonna' run flawlessly right out da' box. (They better.)

777, glad you were able to get your G2C running ok.
Not necessarily in my gun buying adventures. I had to call Glock for a RSA right out of the box to get a new G23 working properly.
Also, if you ever want to hear a sob story, I'd be happy to tell you about the $700 I'd paid for a used Colt Defender and the additional $300 I'd stubbornly spent to try and get it working before finally giving up.

You'd think price would mean quality and dependability but that hasn't always been in my case.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Not necessarily in my gun buying adventures. I had to call Glock for a RSA right out of the box to get a new G23 working properly.
Also, if you ever want to hear a sob story, I'd be happy to tell you about the $700 I'd paid for a used Colt Defender and the additional $300 I'd stubbornly spent to try and get it working before finally giving up.

You'd think price would mean quality and dependability but that hasn't always been in my case.
After I bought my first Taurus Pistol, I decided that I need to have something better. So, I started doing some research on different brands. Part of that research was my joining the Glock group on Facebook.

What I learned there is that Glock's CS is far better than Taurus. However, I was amazed at the amount of issues that people reported with their newly purchased Glock Pistols. And, I also found that Glock has only a one year warranty in the hands of the original owner.

Fast forward from 2015 to 2018. I am of the opinion that Taurus CS has gotten better. Not great, but better. I think it was a mistake to change the warranty to one year in the hands of the original owner. An issued that they have since corrected.

I sold my PT111 G2 a few months back and now have only the G2C 9mm. I, unfortunately, have one of the triggers that have the hitch in the take up. The downside is that it shouldn't be there. The upside is that it's made me use proper trigger control which has improved my accuracy.

Having said all of that.... I don't think it's possible to find a better pistol than the G2C at it's current cost of around $200. with my G2C, I have decided to keep/leave it completely stock.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
... Having said all of that.... I don't think it's possible to find a better pistol than the G2C at it's current cost of around $200. with my G2C, I have decided to keep/leave it completely stock.
Oh yes, completely agree on that. Even with Taurus' customer service issues and out-of-box quality issues, the best value for the buck is the G2C and/or the PT111 G2.

Reactions: Whittsailor

·
Registered
297 Posts
Glocks are super easy to fix unless you get one that's been though heck and back. At that point a $75 lower from an online place or a P80 Lower is a good solution. My Glocks have been great but I refuse to leave Gen 3. For me to buy another G2(C) it has to have a better finish. My other Taurus sometimes rusts but not as much as my G2. As for barrel issues, I had issues with the inside of the slide being super unfinished and digging tracks into the barrel as I shoot. It even slowed down the operations of the slide a bit. I ended up polishing the barrel and sanding the inside of the slide.

·
Super Moderator
38,026 Posts
Great news that you were able to diagnose the issue and correct it relatively easily. My money is on the rough barrel surface causing just enough friction to make the slide fail to strip the next round positively. I bought a Lakeline RSA just because they are available and that replacement springs are possible now and in the future. It is a great pistol concept.

Reactions: 777Driver

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After I bought my first Taurus Pistol, I decided that I need to have something better. So, I started doing some research on different brands. Part of that research was my joining the Glock group on Facebook.

What I learned there is that Glock's CS is far better than Taurus. However, I was amazed at the amount of issues that people reported with their newly purchased Glock Pistols. And, I also found that Glock has only a one year warranty in the hands of the original owner.

Fast forward from 2015 to 2018. I am of the opinion that Taurus CS has gotten better. Not great, but better. I think it was a mistake to change the warranty to one year in the hands of the original owner. An issued that they have since corrected.

I sold my PT111 G2 a few months back and now have only the G2C 9mm. I, unfortunately, have one of the triggers that have the hitch in the take up. The downside is that it shouldn't be there. The upside is that it's made me use proper trigger control which has improved my accuracy.

Having said all of that.... I don't think it's possible to find a better pistol than the G2C at it's current cost of around $200. with my G2C, I have decided to keep/leave it completely stock.
I know that some people have had problems with Taurus Customer Support, but I have always had good experiences with them.
My first event was a broken recoil spring on my PT-111 G2. I called them, explained the situation, and even sent them a photo of the broken spring. They immediately sent me a new spring for free.
My second event: The trigger on my PT-111 G2 jammed. I paid to ship it back to Taurus. They fixed it free, and sent it back to me in two months.
My third event: My PT-738 TCP started failing to eject spent casings. Couldn't go through one 6-round magazine without a failure, sometimes three. I sent it back to Taurus. After four months I called Taurus to check on the repair status. They said that they could not repair it, and offered a new Spectrum as a replacement. I asked if I could get a G2C instead, and they agreed. A couple weeks later They sent me a new G2C (I had to pay for an FFL transfer fee).
All in all, I've had nothing but good experiences with Taurus CS.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Smoothed out the hitch on the G2C trigger

My G2C had a rather hard hitch about halfway on the pull (takeup) with a gritty feel. It smoothed out greatly by removing the slide and working the trigger about 30 minutes while watching the evening news. Plus, it helped to relieve stress.. This was much easier than taking the trigger assembly apart and looking for the offending parts.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ed in GA.. when people LOVE a gun or a car or a MC.. they buy it. It is wonderful!! The issues they complained about on the 'other brand'- and now have on their NEW LOVE gun- don't matter. It's the psychology. The old XYZ just didn't do it for them.. They fell in love with the new ABC!! They'll tolerate all manner of problems -as long as customer service fixes it right up until they don't LOVE it anymore. IMHO that is the GLOCK mystique- they aren't my preference.

·
Registered
44 Posts
...I closely compared the G2C with my slightly older PT-111 G2 and noticed that the exterior of the barrel on the G2C was not as smooth as the G2. The G2 seemed polished, whereas the G2C was rough and unfinished.
Sounds like maybe the top of the barrel was rubbing on the slide as it tilted back up into locked position. I usually add a small drop of oil to the top of the barrel, just aft of the muzzle, for precisely this reason. You might also want to inspect the top of the muzzle opening on the slide; if there are burrs or other roughness try to smooth those out also.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I looked at the muzzle opening on the slide. It showed signs of wear, a little rubbing all the way around.
I keep all my guns oiled, and even put a film of gun grease on spots.
I go with the addage: "If it turns, oil it; if it slides grease it."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts