Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I last shot my full size .45 Witness back the end of April. When I went to put away a rifle this morning it was missing and not in either safe.

The other guns I shot that day are where they belong. I'm having a hard time thinking I left it out of the safe. I was shooting the matching Compact model the same day and it is where it belongs. I've torn the truck apart as well.

You can't believe the anxiety I'm going through. I've contacted the rifle club to see if I left it there. I feel so stupid, and it is one of my favorites. It's been going through my head to sell everything if I can't keep track of my guns.

Maloy

·
Super Moderator
36,003 Posts
That is my nightmare. I hope that you can track that miscreant down.

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
I lost a pistol 3 years ago.
I looked everywhere for it.
Even called our son in Minnesota to see if he had it.
I checked the safe.
I turned the house upside down.
Checked the trucks at least 10 times.

Then after 3 years I went in to the safe and brought out all the handguns for a mass cleaning.
It was in the safe all the time.
I had just put it in the wrong row with another brand of firearms.

So I know how you feel. It's scary.
By the way, have you checked your safe?..........:p

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
That's not a good thing. And not the first time I have read it here.

I'll just start with the obvious. It's not still in the range bag is it? Still in a pistol rug? Stuck in the pocket of a rifle case you were using that day? Set aside with cleaning supplies to get cleaned later and then you forgot? Your wife secretly took it to get some custom grip panels made for it and you have ruined her surprise?

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got a call from a friend, I loaned him a couple of target pistols the other day. I thought thought the bag was a little heavy the other day, but there was a couple of bricks of .22. It was for his wife to practice for a CCW class this weekend.

While I'm tearing the house and my truck apart, he left me a voice mail saying his wife said "NO WAY I"M SHOOTING THAT!" They were out at the range this evening and only just check the contents.

I still might have lost a pistol. She said I might not get the Ruger .22/45 LITE target pistol back, or the TX22.

I'm so tired, and feel like I ran 10 miles. I'm going to go to bed and sleep it off now.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Maloy

·
Super Moderator
36,003 Posts
She should try it...she would probably like that Witness 45. I fired kmw1954's last Sunday and really liked the trigger and accuracy!

Glad it surfaced.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Well I finally got a safe a couple of years ago. Before that I used to hide my guns in different places throughout the house when we went on vacation. Long story short my PT111 G2 is in the house but I have no idea where. Two years and still looking for it.

·
Administrator
35,274 Posts
You'll likely find it. But, I guess it has to be asked, does anybody else have access to a key to your safe, even somebody who you wouldn't think could do something like that?

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
I feel your pain, or should I say anxiety.
We've all been there at one time or other.
I keep all my pistols in individual soft sided gun cases with tags on the outside of what's inside. I lost a gun for a few days and had to empty the safe, looking at the labels and nothing. As I was putting them back in the safe, like you, I noticed a case was heavy...there was the "lost" gun playing hide and seek.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I will honestly say this is one reason I don't own more. I'm ADHD enough to REALLY lose one.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
65 Posts
I thought I had lost one a few years back. Looked through both safes, and I mean I emptied out everything! No Makarov. I finally mention it to the wife, telling her how bummed I was. She said, "I think you put that up on the top shelf of the foyer closet when our Grandson came to visit." Two years prior! I looked, and yep, there it was, right where I left it.

It had been a pistol I kept on the foyer table by the front door, for the wife if she ever had need. (I always have one on me) It was the one that fit her hand best and she was comfortable shooting it. Once I put it there I'd forgotten about it. Some time later I bought a Taurus G2 (12 rounds of 9mm vs 7 of .380) that she said fit her hand and she could manipulate it's slide.

Going into the foyer to swap it out, after verifying it fed and fired superbly, I couldn't find that little .380 on or under the table anywhere! Freak-out started, and you know the rest, 'cause I'm telling it backasswards.

It's a "blood draining from the face" moment when you suddenly think you've lost a gun or had one stolen. In my mind I was blaming the neighbor kid next door (well, he's 22 and has his own chillrens now), to blaming the cable guy, the dog groomer and anyone I could think of, (besides myself). Should have asked the wife first, because she's constantly moving things and changing things around on me.

Glad it worked out and you found it, there's little I can think of that can put a fellow in a panic quicker!

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
I did it once. It was 1976. I was 19. I went shooting at the public range. I took a bunch of guns. Ended up walking away and leaving one (a nickel S&W Model 38 ) on the bench. God what an embarrassment. The range I shot at was a county owned public range. On the weekends it was run by Parks & Rec. The place was crazy on the weekends and the supervision lax. I shot during the week when it was run by...the Police Department. Boy did they give me a lot of crap for doing that. All in jest...but I literally never heard the end of it, until I left town.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Witness is back in the safe where it belongs. It's one of my favorite all steel pistols. Back in April/May I had acquired the compact version in .45 ACP as well.

I still feel stupid, but relieved it wasn't lost. Once years ago I left a Titan .25 out at the head of my bed. My one sister appropriated it probably to sell it. I knew she was the only one in my room from what my youngest sister told me (She found my spare key).

I sort of had some anger issues back then when I knew I was being lied to. She told me she didn't take it, and I could search her room while she did laundry. That cinched it right there. I grabbed the laundry hamper out of her hands, dumped it on the floor, and she ran like her backside was on fire. My Titan was on the bottom of the hamper since in ended up on top of the pile. I didn't see her for two days.

That was about 30 years ago. Heck, my own mother has stolen from me. Since then, I've tried to keep things locked up. No one has access to any of my safes. If someone did, I doubt I could sleep.

Maloy

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,937 Posts
Well I finally got a safe a couple of years ago. Before that I used to hide my guns in different places throughout the house when we went on vacation. Long story short my PT111 G2 is in the house but I have no idea where. Two years and still looking for it.
That is a really good hiding spot :hand2:

Reactions: olfarhors
1 - 20 of 27 Posts