Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a shotgun training class today. First thing is I had a great time! The weather could have been a little warmer but not all that much of an issue.

Going into it I was concerned my shoulder would be seriously beaten up. It turns out that was not the case. My shoulder is just fine. We did run through about 225 rounds. We were shooting 7 1/2 so it wasn't recoil heavy. The biggest sore spot is my right wrist. Constantly holding up that shotgun while loading gets rather tiring.

The reason for holding the shotgun up so much is keeping it loaded. Of course the biggest disadvantage of the shotgun is limited ammo capacity. So the idea is shoot 1/load 1...shoot 2/load 2 so you are constantly loading rounds into the tube magazine. The idea is to not let the muzzle drop down towards the ground while loading, it should stay up. So the unexpected worn out body part is my right wrist.

As for equipment I am running a basic Mossberg 500, 20" cylinder bore barrel with Magpul SGA stock and forend and Magpul MS4 sling. The Magpul furniture is a little expensive but worked very well. I have learned of a couple small modifications I need to make to the gun that will help me run it better.

If you have the chance to take a shotgun class, do it!

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Godfrey my Gun Bearer had the same problem at first but the guy has some huge wrist now after doing this for about 6-7 years for me.
maybe consider going that way.----------

he can carry a lot of 12 gauge shells as well, the man is like a pack mule I tell ya..

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Godfrey my Gun Bearer had the same problem at first but the guy has some huge wrist now after doing this for about 6-7 years for me.

he can carry a lot of 12 gauge shells as well, the man is like a pack mule I tell ya..
You jest but you don't know how close to the truth that is. When I used to go pheasant shooting in Scotland, depending on the estate and the shoot, you actually had a "loader". You stood at your station along the edge of the woods and when the driven birds got up, you fired both barrels of the side by side and then held it backwards. He took the empty gun out of your hand and replaced it with a loaded one and off you went again. The poor bugger had to carry 2 side by side shotguns and a bagful of shells all day. At the end of shooting he got a whopping big tip.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

:icon_ rofl:

You jest but you don't know how close to the truth that is. When I used to go pheasant shooting in Scotland, depending on the estate and the shoot, you actually had a "loader". You stood at your station along the edge of the woods and when the driven birds got up, you fired both barrels of the side by side and then held it backwards. He took the empty gun out of your hand and replaced it with a loaded one and off you went again. The poor bugger had to carry 2 side by side shotguns and a bagful of shells all day. At the end of shooting he got a whopping big tip.
And a big wrist! :)

·
Premium Member
13,413 Posts
It sounds like it would be a lot of fun. What were the small modifications that you mentioned?

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like it would be a lot of fun. What were the small modifications that you mentioned?
I will change out the factory magazine follower and spring. It will make the gun more reliable although I didn't have any issues during the course. I have had the gun for several years but it didn't really have that many rounds through it....until yesterday!

The other thing will be to replace the safety switch. There are after market products that have a taller "tab" that will make it even easier to work. Especially after learning how to use the tang mounted safety properly. Well properly in that's the way they taught it and it makes perfect sense.

Of course to take the safety off you simply push it forward with your thumb. What they taught, and it makes sense after doing it awhile, is to use the trigger finger to pull the safety switch back on. It works great! Plus you know exactly where your trigger finger is. This method works with the factory safety switch but will be even easier and more certain with the after market switch.

·
Premium Member
13,413 Posts
I will change out the factory magazine follower and spring. It will make the gun more reliable although I didn't have any issues during the course. I have had the gun for several years but it didn't really have that many rounds through it....until yesterday!

The other thing will be to replace the safety switch. There are after market products that have a taller "tab" that will make it even easier to work. Especially after learning how to use the tang mounted safety properly. Well properly in that's the way they taught it and it makes perfect sense.

Of course to take the safety off you simply push it forward with your thumb. What they taught, and it makes sense after doing it awhile, is to use the trigger finger to pull the safety switch back on. It works great! Plus you know exactly where your trigger finger is. This method works with the factory safety switch but will be even easier and more certain with the after market switch.
I added one of those extended tab safeties on both my 590A1 and my Shockwave. They are a very practical modification. They can be mounted in either direction as to your preference.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Sounds like a good course. Glad you enjoyed it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts