Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CIMG8795s.jpg

I traded off one of my PT92AFS' and got a Rossi Rio Grande Stainless .30-30 (with 6 boxes of ammo)

While this Rossi was basically new, the scope base was missing from the box (unless they didn't come with them in the first place but for some reason I thought they did)

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Nice rifle, congrats!

Reactions: McE

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,185 Posts
Nice Lever action :thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,232 Posts
I thought they all came with the scope base too. It shouldn't be a big deal to take it with you to a gun shop to fit the base to the receiver.

Damn nice lookin rifle:thumb:

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Are the base screws still in the top of the receiver?

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found the screws in the bag with the TSS keys.

Turns out the Rossi uses smaller diameter screws for the scope base.

The spacing of the Rossi holes is identical to both my Glenfield 36G and Marlin 336RC.

So, Marlin stuff might still work by using the Rossi screws, depending on how the screw is seated.

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
I would be proud to own that great rifle! Heck, I'd be proud to own the PT92 you traded for it!

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I have one in blue. Awesome gun. Wanta here a cool 30-30 trick? Sight that bad boy in at 26 yards dead center. Yep, 26 yards. Run that threw a balistics chart and the lightbulb will come on bright. I don't know if it works with other calibers, but It saves me a lot of ammo, and out to 175 yards you are no more than 2 1/2 inchesl low with 1K+ energy. Obviosly tighter while you are closer. Turns that gun into a venson lazer beam. :cool: I've been doing it for 20 years.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I found the screws in the bag with the TSS keys.

Turns out the Rossi uses smaller diameter screws for the scope base.

The spacing of the Rossi holes is identical to both my Glenfield 36G and Marlin 336RC.

So, Marlin stuff might still work by using the Rossi screws, depending on how the screw is seated.
I have Weaver top mount base pairs 48471 on my Rio. Made for Marlin 336. Have to use the Rossi screws. Also use Weaver quad lock scope rings.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
Congrats on the Rio Grande, I have the blue model, very nice shooting.30-30.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone know what these holes in the forearm are for/ were from?

20150201_174309.jpg

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Very nice rifle, congrats.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rossi uses 6-48 screws for the scope base mounts and
Marlin uses 8-40 screws

I went ahead and got the Weaver two piece scope base set.
I wonder if I can use some generic rail-mounted peep sight instead of shelling out a hundred for Skinner peep sights. At that price I'd be better off getting a scope.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts