Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.......and I regret it ever since. I still have my PT111 (1st Gen) and really like it but I miss my M85. So I as soon as I get my post number up to 25 (I guess I understand the reason for the rule) I will see about trading someone my 9mm for a used M85. Until then we can just talk about it.

I have heard of some having issues with their 1st Gen PT111's but mine has worked like a trooper. Granted I don't shoot many JHP and I understand that might be the ammo that gives some the problems.

My question is should I consider the UL or stick with the regular M85? Mine was a stainless which I had bead blasted to a satin finish but I always like a blued gun.

Opinions?

BC

·
Administrator
35,443 Posts
Is that yours? That is a beautiful revolver, I've always been partial to stainless or satin......don't get too carried away, that 9mm is a nice piece too - maybe you can scrape up $100 and put a m85 on layaway.....then pay a little for a while and get a new one.

Welcome to the forum, by the way, from Texas.

·
Administrator
39,943 Posts
I'm partial to blue, but that pic is sweet. :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
texastaurusguy said:
Is that yours? That is a beautiful revolver, I've always been partial to stainless or satin......don't get too carried away, that 9mm is a nice piece too - maybe you can scrape up $100 and put a m85 on layaway.....then pay a little for a while and get a new one.
Yeah that WAS mine..........way to rub it in :)

I really don't shoot the PT111 much. My main carry is a G23 (oops, I said the "G" word)

I might decide to just buy one outright as you suggest since they are only about $265 +- at my LGS

BC

·
Administrator
35,443 Posts
There you go - and don't give up on that PT111, I like the grips and shootability a lot better than the G series.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before I sold it I bought some wood off eBay, which was nice but on the stainless I think I like the rubber grips.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
BurkC said:
My main carry is a G23 (oops, I said the "G" word)
Nothing wrong with the "G" word on this forum. We try not to bash any brands here.

BTW---I have a G22 and G27 which I use on duty. (Along with a G19, G21, G31, G26, and a G36) If you want to talk Glock just PM me....I'll give you an earful...uh...screenful. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured that was the case, everyone here seems to be pretty level headed and realized that as good as Taurus is, there are other brands. I have been to some boards where their brands are the ONLY brand.

PS I love my Glock but I CRAVE a wheelie.............. to be continued

BC

·
Super Moderator
35,151 Posts
Why not get a SSUL...Ultra Lite Stainless? I love mine, had it for a dozen years now, bought new. Actually, I traded a P95 Ruger for it. Good trade at the time. I'd bought a P85 from a guy I worked with for 200 bucks with 5 15 round pre-ban mags. Now that mags aren't banned, I sorta wish I had that P95 back, but oh, well. I wouldn't swap my M85 for it back, gotten to attached and it's part of my carry rotation, though I don't often rotate. I carry it when I'm out in the boat fishing, don't worry about rust as much as on my Kel Tec and it's a great shark tranquilizer. :D

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
BurkC said:
.......and I regret it ever since. I still have my PT111 (1st Gen) and really like it but I miss my M85.

My question is should I consider the UL or stick with the regular M85? Mine was a stainless which I had bead blasted to a satin finish but I always like a blued gun.

Opinions?

BC
That was a sharp gun you had there! We've all probably sold something
we wish we had back. I'm guilty.
I've had both, 85 & 85UL. I sold the UL just cause it was a little harder on my hand.
They sure are a nice guns though. I still have the 85, but it just sits in the safe.
I should get rid of it, with a few others I don't shoot. I think you'd be happy with either
one. The extra weight isn't a big deal unless you're going to pocket carry.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The weight is also what you get used to it. I carry a steel frame M650 (and my M85 before that) in a slacks pocket on a regular basis without issues.

I would suggest keeping the PT111 and get a M85 to go with it but since you do have a G23 for those times you might want something larger (or to just carry with the M85) the ability to sell the PT111 to help finance the M85 is understandable.

A tip might be to watch Gunbroker to see what the PT111's are running for value.

Steelheart

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thunderjohn said:
I still have the 85, but it just sits in the safe. I should get rid of it
After I make up my mind maybe we can talk about your M85. ;) I probably will holster carry it. My Ruger LCP is my pocket carry.

BC

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
BurkC said:
After I make up my mind maybe we can talk about your M85. ;) I probably will holster carry it. My Ruger LCP is my pocket carry.

BC
Can you post pics of your LCP in "Other Guns" or the "Gallery"?

·
32,585 Posts
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.ohp?topic=7052.0

Model 85s have quite a following.

Professional writers, instructors, and the general public all seem to agree with that assesment. Snub revolvers have lot going for them. And reasons are in the link. along with everyone else's input here. LOL That's LOL in a nice way. :) ;)

It would be nice to be able to carry a full size pistol or revolver 24/7, but there are factors that can make that impractical.

Having something that is ease of carry,simple to use, good power factor, and is dependable to use are snubbie positive traits.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NativeTexan said:
Why not get a SSUL...Ultra Lite Stainless? I love mine, had it for a dozen years now, bought new. Actually, I traded a P95 Ruger for it. Good trade at the time. I'd bought a P85 from a guy I worked with for 200 bucks with 5 15 round pre-ban mags. Now that mags aren't banned, I sorta wish I had that P95 back, but oh, well. I wouldn't swap my M85 for it back, gotten to attached and it's part of my carry rotation, though I don't often rotate. I carry it when I'm out in the boat fishing, don't worry about rust as much as on my Kel Tec and it's a great shark tranquilizer. :D

What makes it an Ultralight? Is it only partially stainless?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The aluminum vs steel frame.

Steelheart

·
Registered
89 Posts
I love my plain Jane M85 blued.....many times I wish I had a hammerless model, maybe an UL. But I also like the durability of the the steel model. It has 1200 rounds through it....make it 1300 rounds after this weekend. see pics of my baby below.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is something about blued steel and wood grips (no offense) That is a nice piece and great pictures.

However a stainless UL is pretty cool as well. Here is one I am looking at. It is a gray finish just like the baby I sold.

BC

1 - 20 of 26 Posts